JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Tangram (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Tangram
12-25-2008, 11:42 PM

If vocabulary is what you're looking for, I'd go with the iKnow website mentioned before. That's what it is for the most part, and is made for long-term memorization. That is, you'll build up proficiency with a word over time, and you'll continually come across it in your lessons until you've mastered it.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Saayha (Offline)
New to JF

12-27-2008, 11:24 AM

Thanks to all for your answers. And yes, the !know seems to be really useful. I've learned a couple of new words with it on lvl 3 Thanks.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Nikroesis (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Nikroesis
07-09-2009, 10:32 AM

I wanted to put in my two cents for Rosetta Stone.

I've been attempting to learn languages for the past 6 years and have gone through German, French, Spanish, American Sign Language, and now Japanese. I find it extremely difficult for me to learn anything about any language despite my love of them. My inability to retain the information seems to have no bearing on whether or not I am taking college classes, self taught, or using a program/web page.

I found Rosetta Stone perfect for me BECAUSE it treats you like a child. I learn better visually so the program works perfect for me. I also tend to learn best when things are really dumbed down.

So in short I guess im saying that i think everyone learns differntly and the best way to find out if something works for you is to just try it out.

I agree with what most people said above though. If you have something that already works for you, stick with it.

~Nik
(#24 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-09-2009, 04:26 PM

Maybe one reason you're not retaining stuff is because you can't really learn five languages in six years and retain it. It takes years just to learn one language. I don't think an adult brain can take learning more than two languages simultaneously. And only then, just barely.

To retain vocab, you have to use it every day. I don't know how you can do that with five languages simultaneously.