JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Saayha (Offline)
New to JF

Question about Rosetta Stone - 12-23-2008, 05:57 PM

Hello everybody! I've been checking threats of this nice forum for a while, but this is my first post =D Hajimemashite.

I don't know if this is the correct place to ask this (if it isn't, i'm really sorry...!!). I've heard great things about a software called "Rosetta stone", which they say is good to learn Japanese. I've been studying Japanese for a while and I'm starting to have a good level, but I think it might still do some good to me that software.

Any of you have used it? Is it really worth to pay more than 100 $ for it?

こたえはありがとうございます!!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-23-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saayha View Post
Hello everybody! I've been checking threats of this nice forum for a while, but this is my first post =D Hajimemashite.

I don't know if this is the correct place to ask this (if it isn't, i'm really sorry...!!). I've heard great things about a software called "Rosetta stone", which they say is good to learn Japanese. I've been studying Japanese for a while and I'm starting to have a good level, but I think it might still do some good to me that software.

Any of you have used it? Is it really worth to pay more than 100 $ for it?

こたえはありがとうございます!!
I have never used it, but the Rosetta Stone system is different from whatever language learning system you are using now, because they apply the same system to all languages.

I have heard it works well for Italian and Spanish, but not so well for Asian languages...but, like I said, I have never used it myself.

I would stick with what you are doing now.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Lucas89 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-23-2008, 06:12 PM

I think if you aren't completely sure if you will find Rosetta stone useful or not i would always recommend iKnow! - The Social Learning Platform. - iKnow! over it.
Mainly because it's free, but also from my own experience with Rosetta stone, iknow does a better job.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
PockyMePink (Offline)
=\

Send a message via MSN to PockyMePink
12-23-2008, 06:32 PM

Yes, iKnow is pretty good, but keep in mind that it only focuses on vocabulary (you can learn Kana from it, too).

As for grammer, I might suggest Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese Grammer.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
KikiBunny23 (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to KikiBunny23 Send a message via MSN to KikiBunny23 Send a message via Yahoo to KikiBunny23 Send a message via Skype™ to KikiBunny23
12-23-2008, 07:07 PM

I'm not sure how it works but I've heard it wasn't very good since it uses pictures and stuff and is like a multiple choice quiz, where you can just pick one until you get it right. But who knows....
(#6 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
12-23-2008, 07:12 PM

I know someone who likes Rosetta Stone so well they ended up going to work for them, but the price is steep for investing in something you know so little about.

One I am familiar with is Pimsleur. And at least for Korean, I do not recommend it. I liked the format, but before the even the introductory lesson was done, I had found several vocabulary and grammatical mistakes. Pretty bad when a 1st semester student can spot errors!

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
PockyMePink (Offline)
=\

Send a message via MSN to PockyMePink
12-23-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
I know someone who likes Rosetta Stone so well they ended up going to work for them, but the price is steep for investing in something you know so little about.

One I am familiar with is Pimsleur. And at least for Korean, I do not recommend it. I liked the format, but before the even the introductory lesson was done, I had found several vocabulary and grammatical mistakes. Pretty bad when a 1st semester student can spot errors!
=O Maybe it was trying to test you with those mistakes! You passed!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
reptilesandsamurai (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-23-2008, 09:04 PM

I have it, but like anything you have to put a lot of time into it. If you need to learn some useful phrases quickly this is not the program for you. I believe you can get a demo for the software for free from their website as well.

Reptiles have silly grins
Dark eyes--shiny teeth--some have fins
Samurai they smile never
Serious--pretty swords--very clever
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MutsuYakumo (Offline)
JF Regular

12-23-2008, 09:49 PM

Look champ I've never used Rosetta Stone, but if you're getting lessons some other way stick to it, if it's not broke don't fix it. They might have totally different teaching styles which could conflict with what you have learned already and ultimately confuse you. Just hang in there.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
AsianAtHeart (Offline)
Linguist in training

12-23-2008, 10:29 PM

I've used it. It's not so great with Asian languages, like MMM said, especially if you don't have a plug-in mic or headset to use.

They teach you words and everything as if you were growing up, as in conversational. I don't know if that's your goal, but I hated it. In my opinion, taking a formal course is better than not knowing grammar and just spewing out stuff you're supposed to listen and repeat.