JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
theraw (Offline)
New to JF

Question What should I do first? Write? Read? Speak? - 12-25-2008, 01:39 AM

I'm starting from zero guys. So I need your advice.
What should I do first?...

Learn to :

1. Speak the language?
2. Write the language?
3. Read the language?

And in what order do you suggest I proceed from first to last? Not that the journey really has a defined end.

-Charlie

"Ingredients have no boundaries."
-Rokusaburo Michiba

It is NEVER sharp enough.
-Every sharpness addict
(#2 (permalink))
Old
CaptainThunder (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-25-2008, 01:46 AM

If you're serious, AJATT is all you need

If you're not as serious, try picking up a beginner's textbook at your local bookstore and reading through it to get a feel for some grammar. If you want to develop reading and listening skills, the best way to do it is through exposure to native material; real Japanese books/TV shows/whatever, as much as you need to get to a comfortable skill level.

So, as for order, start by getting a general overview of things, and only move on to listening and reading if you're dedicated.

I wouldn't worry about writing at all, unless you're planning on moving to Japan soon.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Arikado (Offline)
Elegant Rocker

Send a message via AIM to Arikado Send a message via MSN to Arikado
12-25-2008, 01:48 AM

You should be learning all three at the same time, that's the best way to go. It's hard to work with one if you don't know the other, really.

Member of the Metal Club
"Ignorance is the night of the mind, but a night without moon and star" -孔夫子
(#4 (permalink))
Old
PockyMePink (Offline)
=\

Send a message via MSN to PockyMePink
12-25-2008, 01:52 AM

I agree - all three, all together.

Learn a word/sentence, read it (in romaji, kana, then kanji if possible), say it, then write it
(not in that order, but I think that order makes the most sense).
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

12-25-2008, 04:11 AM

I disagree completely.

If you start practicing speaking right away, you will have no choice but to rely on romaji, on which you will get easily hooked because you're already familiar with he Alphabet. "Getting yourself hooked on romaji" will seriously slow down your Japanese learning process in the long run.

Besides that, where will you use your speaking skills if you live so far from Japan? Speaking is important but it can wait until you have mastered the basic grammar and vocabulary.

Learn how to read and write Hiragana first. Only when you are 100% comfortable with Hiragana, move on to Katakana. It won't take more than a few weeks to get these two systems down.

Then move onto grammar and vocab using short sentences, starting with basic greetings. Start learning kanji, but never learn them in a random order. Always learn them in context. I see some people here on JF wanting to learn kanji before they can use the two kana systems freely, but that is just non-sense. Learn to write sentences using the two kana systems first and then start replacing easier words with kanji. That is exactly how Japanese kids learn to write.

Never let romaji users advise you on how to study Japanese, period. In the eyes of us Japanese, they haven't even started studying our language.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-25-2008, 04:14 AM

Read/Write -> Speak. As you're learning to speak, practice Kanji.

I have to disagree with AJATT - he extols the virtues of studying ten thousand sentences, but he never explains well how a beginner at Japanese is going to get ten thousand Japanese sentences. It's a complete farce. Besides, he didn't learn by making sentences - he collected sentences as a biproduct of learning.

Oh! I wish I was in the land of Ramen
Otaku there are not downtrodden
Kawaii! Kawaii! Kawaii, Desu Ne!

MAXIMUM VIPER
Defender of the Scholar, Scourge of the Otaku, Savior of Japan

Last edited by Keaton421 : 12-25-2008 at 04:16 AM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Lucas89 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-25-2008, 07:55 AM

I would agree with AJATT guy personally, so i would recommend taking a quick look at his site, read/write/listen then speak, like Nagoyankee said if you try to speak first you'll end up relying on Romaji which is what happened to me the first couple of days.

As for what to read, and where to get sentences it's just common sense really, i would suggest googling things your interested in on Japanese Google thats what i do atleast.
I can't understand it all but even if it just gets me trying to read kana and kanji, and even if i can understand a sentence here and there then it's a good thing.

Last edited by Lucas89 : 12-25-2008 at 08:24 AM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
CaptainThunder (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-25-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
Start learning kanji, but never learn them in a random order. Always learn them in context.
Seconded. On the same note, Heisig's Remembering the Kanji is an excellent method for kanji learning. It won't teach you the readings, but it will give you a keyword for each kanji that reflects its meaning, and makes it much easier to look up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaton421
I have to disagree with AJATT - he extols the virtues of studying ten thousand sentences, but he never explains well how a beginner at Japanese is going to get ten thousand Japanese sentences. It's a complete farce. Besides, he didn't learn by making sentences - he collected sentences as a biproduct of learning.
1.) He has good reason to praise the sentence method, I've unintentionally learned a lot of grammar and vocab by memorizing song lyrics.

2.) There's plenty of native Japanese material available to mine sentences from, no matter what your location; anime, books, websites, etc.

3.) You may be right that the sentences were merely a bi product. The point of AJATT isn't memorizing sentences, it's immersing yourself in your chosen language, regardless of physical location; the sentences simply help speed the process up.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
theraw (Offline)
New to JF

Question 12-25-2008, 04:55 PM

Well I have to say that I have been following the advice from AJATT. I have ordered all almost all the books the he recommended on his site, and the Kanji poster. However I am still confused by a few things (Which I'm sure if I just wait would become clearer, but hey, why not ask?).
I'm tryting to understand the difference between Hirigana and Katagana. From what I've read, Hirigana is more formal or traditional than Katagana. But what I think I'm also seeing is that they basically have the same objective: Spelling out words as apposed to symbolizing them (i.e. kanji) My big confusion though is what the difference is between katakana and hirigana. The only conclusion I can come to is that using Hirigana would be the equivalent of using a professional font for typing up a report, for example. Where as katagana would be the equivalent of using an informal font. Am I even "in the ball park" on this one or am I totally off base? If I am atleat some what close then what do most Japanese people write in? Kata or Hiri [then supplemented with kanji]?

Secondly, and this it what's killing me and keeping from progessing, I have to say that there has been some very good info given thus far, but... I was wondering about something else.

I know this goes against the most experienced peoples advice given here, but wouldn't it be easier for a westerner to learn romanji first [or atleast along side the kana]? The reason I ask is that if you were to use katagana and hirigana, and not know what the romanji was (as a westerner) then how could you piece the Katagana and Hirigana together?

-Charlie

-Rokusaburo Michiba

-Every sharpness addict

Last edited by theraw : 12-25-2008 at 05:03 PM. Reason: spelling errors
(#10 (permalink))
Old
theraw (Offline)
New to JF

Question 12-25-2008, 04:57 PM

Oh yeah, two thing. Why does AJATT recommend learning kanji first as apposed to the kana? And if I'm correct in what have stated above about the importance of romanji for the western learner, than what is the best romaji system? Hepburn? JSL? Nihon/Kunrei shiki? Some other system?

-Charlie

-Rokusaburo Michiba

-Every sharpness addict

Last edited by theraw : 12-25-2008 at 05:16 PM.