LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-27-2008, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
So, it's similar to Roman letters, then? That's extremely comforting. Mine are turning out almost as legible as most of those examples. Thanks very much!

I know the stroke orders for all of the kanji I know (I know about 70). But my English penmanship is bad enough, and my kanji weren't turning out like computer generated fonts. From the examples that were posted by Harold, I think I'm on the right track.
What do you mean similar to Roman letters?

Those are just examples. I wouldn't aim for that kind of writing, though. Get as close as you can to the fonts on computers, but be aware that there are different ways to write a radical and some hiragana or katakana.

I
沖縄           My blog
(#12 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

01-03-2009, 02:33 AM

One thing is more important than anything else, and cannot be stressed enough:
Use proper stroke order.
Use proper stroke order.
Use proper stroke order.
Use proper stroke order.

Without proper stroke order, your kanji will be illegible once you start writing them like a native.

Edit: I should clarify. Once you start writing like you do in your native language, your strokes will run together. If you follow improper stroke order, people won't be able to discern the swoops of your lines because the shapes will deviate too far from the norm. Or, at best, they will look like really ugly characters.