JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Patience (Offline)
New to JF

Japanese texts for my 3d work? - 01-28-2009, 01:19 PM

Hello,

I'm working on a 3d image of Sakura from Naruto and as you can see (here) I have to fill in the parchment with some texts. I want to render it with a Japanese style^^ and for that, add Japanese texts should be the better way to go.
But I don't know what to write, I just want some texts about medicine, chakra or whatever about Naruto (the manga not the character) and Sakura, except the strength (which is depict by the big kunai^^), why not also about summoning techniques (even if Sakura doesn't use it, anyway).
It would be great if I can write several short texts as in trading cards, it means with titles (e.g. blabla no jutsu) and short descriptions (requirements, effects, etc.)

So if you have any idea or suggestion, I will appreciate a lot^^
Yes, last point. My japanese is close to the absolute zero so if someone posts something in japanese, please provide a translation^^. Otherwise, I can try to write some english texts here and ask you for help to translate, I don't know.

Thanks,
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Patience (Offline)
New to JF

01-29-2009, 07:58 AM

Hi,

I did some tests with japanese writing system and only the great titles are clearly readable (see below), so I will replace all descriptions I wanted by broken lines, it's enough for my purpose.

For the great titles, I can find the japanese transcriptions around the net and thanks to the EDICT dictionary, it's easy to find a word^^

But, for a sentence, it's a bit more complicated
I would like to write in japanese this: "Created by ...."
Is "...を作りました" correct or not?

Yes, also! How would you write "Patience" in japanese, not the translation. In fact, I don't know if it's better to keep romanji for names or not!

Thanks,
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

01-29-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post

But, for a sentence, it's a bit more complicated
I would like to write in japanese this: "Created by ...."
Is "...を作りました" correct or not?

Yes, also! How would you write "Patience" in japanese, not the translation. In fact, I don't know if it's better to keep romanji for names or not!

Thanks,
A big no. You shouldn't use "...を作りました" at all. It'll be a regular sentence and look goofy. Go with "Name + 作" .

ペイシャンス if you yourself read your name in the English way.

パシオンス would be the French way. (Je sais que vous êtes français.)
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Patience (Offline)
New to JF

01-29-2009, 11:56 AM

Thanks Nagoyankee,

I choose the French one, for sure^^ thanks for it, that's cool^^

Concerning the sentence, you say it's not correct but if I want to say to someone during a talk (just for my knowledge because there is no one talking japanese close to me) something like this: "I created the picture", can I say:
- 私が絵は作リました [わたし が え は つくりました]
or
- 私は絵を作リました [わたし は え を つくりました]
or just
- 私作 (it's not pretty informal!)
or I'm so so far from the truth^^

I'm reading some papers about particles but it's not easy, that's why I prefer to have example in relation with my work or hobbies for a better learning and understanding.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

01-29-2009, 12:46 PM

With drawings (paintings), we don't use the verb 作る. We use 描く(かく).

私がその絵を描きました。 would be the most natural way of saying it.

You cannot say 私作. In Japanese, no sentence can be written in kanji alone.

The Japanese particles are as important as 'word order' in European languages. Patience is the key.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

01-31-2009, 03:42 AM

And because I see another place where Nagoyankee hasn't answered every possible relevant topic with brilliance, I'd like to chime in on how the construction "made by me" would be made in Japanese (assuming you're not signing a painting, but rather saying some rice was made by you or something):

As the phrase "made by me" is in the passive voice in English, you have to use the passive in Japanese. In Japanese, you form the passive of godan verbs by adding the あ-column ending and れる to the end of the stem of a godan verb. 作る is a godan verb.

Thus, you have
作る---->作られる (to be made)
Now make it past tense
作られる--->作られた (was made)
Now add the "by me"
作られた--->私に作られた (made by me)

Now, for an example
This car was made by me.
この車は私に作られた。