JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Suta27 (Offline)
New to JF

Need to improve listening comprehension...any ideas? - 02-10-2007, 07:53 PM

I am studying Japanese and my grammar and reading comprehension are coming along fine (Kanji is very much hard work)...however, my listening comprehension is not improving.

I am listening to the Nakama cds..which arent bad...but I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of maybe some Japanese tv shows that are more native...but not very complicated.

My friend is taking Spanish...and his class watches a soap opera. I was hoping I could find something more along these lines.

Thanks everyone!

Suta
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Gymo (Offline)
New to JF

02-10-2007, 08:05 PM

I'd suggest watching dorama's, the way they speak there is more natural than in anime.
Look for Densha Otoko, it's a good one. Checking out ~~ SilentRegrets Dot Com ~~ - Home would also be a good idea. It has a lot of stuff.
Maybe looking on http://j-fan.com/and then looking for the stuff with bittorrent or something also isn't such a bad idea.
Good luck

~~ SilentRegrets Dot Com ~~ - Home
J-Fan - Ultimate Japanese Entertainment Directory! Anime, Jpop, video games, manga, and more!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Kuroneko (Offline)
JF Vet.

02-10-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suta27 View Post
I am studying Japanese and my grammar and reading comprehension are coming along fine (Kanji is very much hard work)...however, my listening comprehension is not improving.

I am listening to the Nakama cds..which arent bad...but I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of maybe some Japanese tv shows that are more native...but not very complicated.

My friend is taking Spanish...and his class watches a soap opera. I was hoping I could find something more along these lines.

Thanks everyone!

Suta
Try and pick out each word for starters, Don't try to listen to the whole sentence at first. When you pick out words you can then try to piece them together and try and make out what they are saying. If you can don't try to translate it to your English (or your Language) try to keep it as Japanese in you head as you can, you can insure that you can increase your listening comprehension.

Just keep at what your listening to right know, with time you can hope to understand more. Also if you could I would suggests some one to talk to.

"To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering, one must not love. But then, one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer."
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Gymo (Offline)
New to JF

02-10-2007, 08:35 PM

maybe getting one of those pimsleur courses, they're pretty good.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Mosunshine (Offline)
New to JF

01-30-2012, 08:26 AM

Hi

I think this blog which is updated weekly by Japanese teachers is really worth having a look at .

You can read the blog in plain Japanese, then with Kanji reading and there is also an English translation. PLUS you can listen to a native Japanese person reading the blog out loud with a YouTube Video attached for the newer blogs.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-04-2012, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suta27 View Post

Thanks everyone!

Suta
I think you may make a dictation of NHK news.
I think recording the NHK news with subtitle is good for you.

There is NHK news program for handicapped people.
手話(dactylology) NHK news.
It indicates subtitle written in Japanese as well.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
xsam (Offline)
New to JF

kore wa - 02-09-2012, 01:14 PM

Kore wa zombie desu ka - is this a zombie - you can find this video on youtube with subtitles in english. It's a lot of fun and bits are easy to understand.