LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
berrypie (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Skype™ to berrypie
いただく(itadaku) & いただける (itadakeru) - 03-03-2009, 04:30 PM

いただく(itadaku) & いただける (itadakeru)

This word is a humble form of もらう (morau), which means receive, or accept.

Could anyone tell me what's the different between them? (itadaku & itadakeru)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

03-03-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrypie View Post
いただく(itadaku) & いただける (itadakeru)

This word is a humble form of もらう (morau), which means receive, or accept.

Could anyone tell me what's the different between them? (itadaku & itadakeru)
ローマ字は使わない方がいいよ。初心者が寄ってきてデ タラメな回答をするからね。

The most important difference is this:

いただく: used from the viewpoint of the receiver.

いただける: used from the viewpoint of the acton-taker. (Someone is kindly doing something for you.)

これはスミスさんからいただいた本です。= This is the book I received from Mr. Smith.

昨日田中さんからリンゴをいただいた。= I received some apples from Tanaka-san yesterday.

ボールペンを買ってきていただけますか。= Could you go and buy some ball-point pens for me, please?

お返事をいただけると嬉しいです。= I'll be happy if you can reply.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
berrypie (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-04-2009, 03:54 AM

なるほど。So いただく is I receive something from someone; where いただける is Someone do something for me 、ですね?

Speaking of that, I notice that there are couples of verbs that should be learn in pairs like いただく & いただける:

見る & 見える
聴く & 聴こえる
and probably... もらう & もらえる?

Oh wait... hey I notice that one ends with a う vowel and the other with える! Are the differences between these pairs similar to いただく & いただける?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

03-04-2009, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Speaking of that, I notice that there are couples of verbs that should be learn in pairs like いただく & いただける:

見る & 見える
聴く & 聴こえる
and probably... もらう & もらえる?

Oh wait... hey I notice that one ends with a う vowel and the other with える! Are the differences between these pairs similar to いただく & いただける?
I don't think いただく and いただける is a separate word.

いただく means to receive, いただける is the potential form, which means can receive.

So if you say 教えていただきます, its like saying teach me! (like a command) but if you say 教えていただけますか? its like saying can you teach me please (much more polite).

見る and 見える, 聞く and 聞こえる are complete different words.
The potential form of 見る is 見られる and for 聞く it's 聞かれる。

The difference between 見られる and 見える is one of consciousness. 見える is to be able to see naturally, i.e. state of being, 見られる is you can see but you have to be consciously making an effort.

e.g.
あそこに行ったとき、富士山が見える。
When i went there, I could see Mount Fuji. I didn't go there just to see Mount Fuji. But when I went there, it was in my face.
あそこに行ったら富士山が見られる。
If you go there, you will be able to see Mount Fuji assuming you go there purely for the fact you want to see Mount Fuji.

You get the drift.

Last edited by kirakira : 03-04-2009 at 06:59 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

03-04-2009, 07:39 AM

Adding to what Nagoyankee said, if you want to sound extremely formal and impress your Japanese friends with your grasp of keigo (haha, yeah right), try something of the form 〜ていただけないでしょうか. I used it with a professor once and she was sort of shocked. When I lived over in Kanagawa, my uni classmates told me they couldn't even use keigo like that.

But it does sound very formal. Also, I don't think you'd ever use いただける except when making a request. And there, it's sort of the difference between the formality/niceness of "Would you..." (いただく)and "Would you be so kind as to..." (いただける).
(#6 (permalink))
Old
berrypie (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-04-2009, 04:40 PM

Ya when I look up at the dictionary, the difference between 見る & 見える、or 聴く or 聴こえる are To see & To been seen, To hear & To be heard

For example,
I watch TV テレビを見る
You can see the stars in here ここに星空が見える。
I am listening to music. 音楽を聴いている
Can you hear me? 聴こえる?

So, I am wondering if these "pairs" of verbs are used depending on the "point of view"... I understand (sort of) how to use them now, but I just want to do more anaylsis.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

03-05-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Ya when I look up at the dictionary, the difference between 見る & 見える、or 聴く or 聴こえる are To see & To been seen, To hear & To be heard

For example,
I watch TV テレビを見る
You can see the stars in here ここに星空が見える。
I am listening to music. 音楽を聴いている
Can you hear me? 聴こえる?

So, I am wondering if these "pairs" of verbs are used depending on the "point of view"... I understand (sort of) how to use them now, but I just want to do more anaylsis.
No it just has to do with consciousness. In both watching TV and listening to music, you are concentrating on those tasks, I assume for entertainment value.

In the stars and can you hear me, it's a natural state. At night, the stars are simply there, if you go out, you will be able to see it.

If you say ここで星空が見られる, it sounds as if your purpose of being here is just for watching the stars and nothing else where as 見える suggests if you happen to be here (likely for another purposes), you will be able to see the stars (whether you like it or not).

Is this making sense?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

03-05-2009, 09:14 AM

Berrypie, in your supposed examples of "to be heard" and "to be seen," you didn't use either.

In both your "see" examples, you used the active voice. In both your "hear" examples, you used the active voice. Neither time did you use the passive you claimed to be about to use.

The passive would be 見られる and 聞かれる. Also, you should know that you probably should have used 聞, not 聴, in your rendering of "to hear." The second one is more an intense, artistic observation. You 聴く an orchestral work. You 聞く some MP3s, most likely. You definitely 聞く conversation.

You wouldn't use 聴 when asking if you can hear someone.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

03-05-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Berrypie, in your supposed examples of "to be heard" and "to be seen," you didn't use either.

In both your "see" examples, you used the active voice. In both your "hear" examples, you used the active voice. Neither time did you use the passive you claimed to be about to use.
Berrypie's examples are textbook examples, they can't be wrong. This has nothing to do with passive tense. This has everything to do with the potential form of 見る which is 見られる. I think you got confused because the passive tense of 見る is also 見られる. We are not talking about passive tense clearly.

There are 2 additional verbs which has similar meaning to the potential form of 見られる and 聞かれる which is 見える and 聞こえる and it's the difference between the two Berrypie is trying to figure out.

Last edited by kirakira : 03-05-2009 at 10:03 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

03-06-2009, 07:18 PM

No, I'm talking about Berry's use of the English passive tense. You can see that Berry refers to "the difference between 見る & 見える、or 聴く or 聴こえる are To see & To been seen, To hear & To be heard"

Both "to be seen" and "to be heard" are English past tense. I was attempting to point out that neither 見える nor 聞こえる are properly translated into the English passive tense (because neither are passive). Thus, Berry's use of the English passive in translation was incorrect.

We are, kira, in actuality in complete agreement. I just was perhaps not clear enough in my statement. Chalk it up to the fact that it was a 3 AM comment.