LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-06-2009, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesselt View Post
It's not so much that I'm concerned about it, I'm just sort of curious about the differences; like if they're grammatical or more of an accent type thing like English spoken in England vs. the US.
You said "dialect you are learning" and for most non-native speakers, they should never need to learn another dialect. I learned for survival living in Kansai, but that was only after graduating with a degree in Japanese. That's when you can start making sense of dialects (without living there).
(#12 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

03-06-2009, 03:57 AM

My Japanese teacher is from Kyoto, so that is the dialect that we are learning. I don't really have a choice in the matter >_>

Are the differences very important in the early stages of learning Japanese (I like this, that is a big house, I want to eat, etc.) or just when you get into more advanced stages? I don't really want to be hindered in my speaking ability this early on, but it's not like there are other Japanese professors at my university.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-06-2009, 04:02 AM

Quote:
My Japanese teacher is from Kyoto, so that is the dialect that we are learning. I don't really have a choice in the matter >_>

Are the differences very important in the early stages of learning Japanese (I like this, that is a big house, I want to eat, etc.) or just when you get into more advanced stages? I don't really want to be hindered in my speaking ability this early on, but it's not like there are other Japanese professors at my university.
This is important, Jesselt. Is she teaching you Kyoto dialect, or is she just from Kyoto? Are you using a normal Japanese textbook?

I would say, yes, it is different enough that if she is teaching you Kyoto dialect instead of standardized Japanese, then that is a problem. At the same time, I would be shocked if a teacher were to teach Kyoto-dialect over standardized Japanese in a first-year classroom.

That would be like entering an English classroom, but being taught Cajun.

I had professors from Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Nagasaki, (and the US) and they all taught the same way and the same standardized Japanese.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

03-06-2009, 04:27 AM

Oh dear >_>

She did tell everyone on the first day something like "I'm from Kyoto, so that is the dialect of Japanese that I'll be teaching you instead of standard dialect" but I suppose that it's very possible that she misspoke. She often has a hard time trying to explain things in English, so she could have meant to say something like "Even though I speak Kyoto dialect I'll be teaching you standard" or something. I hope.

Because I don't really know the differences between the dialects I can't say for sure that I'm using a standard Japanese text book... I'm sure that it must be standard if it really seems that strange to teach anything other than standard though.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

03-06-2009, 04:32 AM

Quote:

Are you serious? This is just so...unheard-of! Are you saying that you are being taught Kyoto dialect and not "standard Japanese with a Kyoto accent" because your teacher is from Kyoto?

Could you write a couple of sentences that you've been learning? We will be able to tell in a second if it's Kyoto dialect or not.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

03-06-2009, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Oh dear >_>
I'm sure she is teaching you guys standard Japanese.

I haven't seen a Japanese textbook for foreigners that actually starts you off on a dialect, that would be just silly.

Besides, dialects are meant to be spoken only, you can't write an essay or newspaper article in any dialect, you would sound like a moron.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

03-06-2009, 05:07 AM

Okay, well I'm sure I must be learning standard then, judging by the reactions. I wasn't aware that there was that much of a difference!

Now that you guys mention it, she must have just been talking about an accent. Thanks for your help =)