JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
japanesewords (Offline)
New to JF

03-13-2009, 10:59 AM

AnimeBaby112,

There are a lot of ways to study and everyone has their own personal style. I am guessing by your name that you like watching anime, and that is definitely a good start and will help your listening. I recommend that you start off listening in Japanese with English subtitles and then once you have learned a few hundred kanji switch to Japanese subtitles to help improve your reading skills and kanji memorization.

Like someone mentioned earlier, a big part of language is memorization. However, it also matters what you are memorizing. The majority of everyday language is made up of the same words and phrases used over and over again. Learning the most common words and phrases will certainly help you learn quicker. This is also important to consider when purchasing your study materials. Be sure to choose books and programs that have up-to-date phrases and words.

I have found the following methods to work best for me:

Speaking: memorize common words and phrases used in everyday speech and then practice speaking with someone as much as possible.

Listening: Watch Japanese movies and/or speak with someone in Japanese. Also listening to audio programs during your commute.

Kanji and Reading- For learning Kanji I use two methods. The first is to use a program like mnemosyne that helps me learn quicker. While I am using that, I also practice writing the kanji. When it comes to reading, choose materials you are interested in. It makes it easier and funner.

Learning a language takes time. You have to remember a certain amount of words, etc, but it if you study the right materials and put in the time then you can learn very quick

Japanese Words -tips, articles, and materials on learning Japanese.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
thelostshinigami123 (Offline)
New to JF

03-13-2009, 03:41 PM

i only know a small phrase

your truly thelostshinigami
(#23 (permalink))
Old
packetpirate (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to packetpirate Send a message via MSN to packetpirate Send a message via Skype™ to packetpirate
03-20-2009, 11:29 PM

I have used a few methods, including My Japanese Coach for the Nintendo DS, the Genki book series, and Japaneseclass.jp

Honestly, I think Genki is a great start.
My Japanese Coach took a linear approach to things and it was hard to fully grasp the grammar because they presented it as though it was vocabulary and very rarely explained it in depth. They also had a few vocabulary that were blatantly wrong, as well as the wrong stroke order for a number of hiragana/katakana/kanji.

Genki almost seems as though it's something a child in Japan uses to learn the language. It's very simply to understand and they do explain things very well.

As for Japaneseclass.jp, I would have to say it's not a good way to learn the language, but it's good for reviewing vocabulary/kanji, so I think it's worth it to make an account and practice from time to time.

俺はサゲだ!
これが読みません。
(#24 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-22-2009, 06:06 PM

Sorry if this is a little off-topic, but I was just wondering on average how long it has taken many of you to achieve a degree of fluency in the language? I only ask as I've been studying for about seven months now, and although I have a grasp of the basics and some of the written language I'm nowhere near fluent. I know there are many ways to learn and everyone learns at different rates, but I was just curious how long it took you all (and of course like the original poster the best way to learn)?
(#25 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

03-22-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
Sorry if this is a little off-topic, but I was just wondering on average how long it has taken many of you to achieve a degree of fluency in the language? I only ask as I've been studying for about seven months now, and although I have a grasp of the basics and some of the written language I'm nowhere near fluent. I know there are many ways to learn and everyone learns at different rates, but I was just curious how long it took you all (and of course like the original poster the best way to learn)?
Depends on what other languages you know.

If it is English, then at least 4 years, with a couple of those living in Japan on average.

If it is Korean, well you are in luck, should be able to brush it off in 2 years.