JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

03-13-2009, 04:36 AM

You're still basing your perceptions off of the first two units though. I'm sure they teach you other forms in later units, and when you learn Japanese you always learn "I" and "you" even though you don't use them very often, because that's the easiest way to learn a language. Same thing with the foreigner thing, whenever you learn any language you're always going to sound like a foreigner at the beginning.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
dougbrowne (Offline)
JF Regular

03-13-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesselt View Post
You're still basing your perceptions off of the first two units though. I'm sure they teach you other forms in later units, and when you learn Japanese you always learn "I" and "you" even though you don't use them very often, because that's the easiest way to learn a language. Same thing with the foreigner thing, whenever you learn any language you're always going to sound like a foreigner at the beginning.
Uhh Sorry but, teaching you to say everything using I and You and Her and Him is absolutly the wrong way to learn. Although it may seem eaiser now, in the long run it will harm you. And I am almost positive that Rosetta Stone will never teach you to say anything the way a native would say it. The way Rosetta Stone teaches is not good for learning JP. It doesn't explain any grammer rules at all. Your suppose to just grasp it, but it just doesn't happen like that with japanese. There is no 'easy way out' when learning japanese. If you can't deal with that, then japanese isn't for you.

Not only does it not teach grammer correctly, it doesn't teach writing correctly either. Imo, the only thing japanese rosetta stone is good for is vocabulary.

Rosetta Stone works great for langs like Spanish, but it's a whole different story with japanese. Rosetta stone just made up a template then made an attempt to integrate every single language into it.

(#23 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

03-13-2009, 09:25 PM

Yep, and you're still basing your entire perception off of the first two units. And yes, there's absolutely no reason why you should ever learn how to say I and You which is why there are no words for them in Japanese. Oh wait.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
dougbrowne (Offline)
JF Regular

03-14-2009, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Yep, and you're still basing your entire perception off of the first two units. And yes, there's absolutely no reason why you should ever learn how to say I and You which is why there are no words for them in Japanese. Oh wait.
I am not saying that it's wrong to be taught I and You, I'm saying Rosetta Stone teaches them WRONG.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
AnthraxAttack (Offline)
JF Regular

03-21-2009, 11:35 PM

Japanese counter word - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Be confused!

Clicking through rosetta stone is not a good way to learn japanese alone. You should definitely get some kanji, grammar etc. learning books. As you encounter new things in rosetta stone, look it up in your books to get a greater understanding of what you are doing. And look up and write down all the kanji you encounter!

Rosetta stone is great, but you need something to supliment your learning, their "magic" way does not work alone even though they say it will
(#26 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

03-22-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
In dougbrowne's defence, the way pronouns are used in Japanese is totally different from most other languages. They are avoided if possible (other wise you sound very rude and egoistic) during everyday speech but with English, it would be grammatically incorrect to avoid them.

What a JP learner should be taught is not to use pronouns when it is obvious and to learn I わたしfor starters. That's it. If they want to say YOU, they should use the person's name 〇〇さん and if they want to use he/she, they should use その人・方、あの人・方. They shouldn't even need to know 2nd and 3rd person pronouns at the start because all that does is offend people.

Last edited by kirakira : 03-22-2009 at 01:23 AM.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

03-22-2009, 03:43 AM

I agree, I was just pointing out that it's not a good idea to claim that a massive program is doing something wrong based on the first two units of it. It could very well completely ditch the "I" and "You" in a later part. It's just easiest for English speakers to learn these pronouns first because it helps us form and understand sentences easier.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

03-24-2009, 06:59 AM

Sorry for the double post, but I have a number related question.

Could someone tell me if I am saying these numbers correctly in Hiragana?

3,333,333 = さんびゃくさんじゅうさんまんさんぜんさんびゃくさん さ
3,291,910 = さんびゃくにじゅうきゅうまにちせんきゅうひゃくじゅ う

ありがとう!
(#29 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

03-24-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Sorry for the double post, but I have a number related question.

Could someone tell me if I am saying these numbers correctly in Hiragana?

3,333,333 = さんびゃくさんじゅうさんまんさんぜんさんびゃくさん さ
3,291,910 = さんびゃくにじゅうきゅうまにちせんきゅうひゃくじゅ う

ありがとう!
I'm sure you got it write but you didn't type it properly.

3,333,333 = 三百三十三万(さんびゃくさんじゅうさんまん) 三千 三百三十三(さんぜんさんびゃくさんじゅうさん)
3,291,910 = 三百二十九万(さんびゃくにじゅうきゅうまん) 千九 百十(せんきゅうひゃくじゅう)
(#30 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

03-24-2009, 09:36 AM

Ack, I need practice typing those ._.

Thank you for showing me =)