LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

03-18-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksyndrem View Post
Now that helps So, would Kanji sound different than Katakana and Hiragana? Like if someone were to be speaking to me, could they happen to use certain words in Kanji that I wouldn't understand?
Kanji or Chinese characters don't express pronunciation like Hiragana/Katakana or English letters. They express an idea. You have to memorize their readings one-by-one which is why it angers a lot of people. Japanese use of Kanji is even harder because each Kanji has lots of readings.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-18-2009, 12:27 PM

I found by accident this blog and now I really treasure it. It is not supposed to teach you Japanese, but it is a huge source for material that will help you to learn Japanese. Enjoy it:

日本語-出来ます

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-18-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksyndrem View Post
Now that helps So, would Kanji sound different than Katakana and Hiragana? Like if someone were to be speaking to me, could they happen to use certain words in Kanji that I wouldn't understand?
Kanji is a writing system, not pronunciation. Speaking and listening have nothing to do with kanji.

And that site is not good. The misspellings in English should be a clue.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
dougbrowne (Offline)
JF Regular

03-19-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
Katakana (Kataka looks like this アラン フォーラム ネックレス フォン ラブホ =]]) It's somewhat more simple than Hiragana. It is used to write foreign words, that don't necissarily have a word in Japanese. (Not necissarily, but for simplicity purposes, I'm going to leave it at that.) Words like names, computer, necklace, hotel, ect. Are all written in Hiragana.
I hope you meant "Are all written in Katakana"
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Uriko (Offline)
JF Cereal Killer

03-19-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Honto (Realty)
Say honto (hohn-tohh) to confirm what you just heard. Suppose your colleague tells you that she's marrying your boss. Respond to the news by saying honto. You can use honto in a lot of situations because unbelievable things happen every day.
bahahaha :'D

no way, real estate?!

But to despair was to wish back for something already lost.
Or to prolong what was already unbearable.

(#16 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-19-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanXX View Post
To a noob, I'll put it like this: Kanji are basically two or more hiragana put together to make one kick-a55 symbol. It's read the same way, and everything. Kanji is really hard to understand, and even harder to explain. I'm still having difficulties with it. But, that is the core of it.
What do you mean with kanji are 2 or more hiragana? You mean as sound? 気 is pronounced KI, which is only one hiragana.
Kanji is an ideogram (spell?) which is a drawing which include an idea of something in it. Basically a kanji is a word itself. Hiragana and katakana are alphabets, with the difference that Japanese alphabet works with syllables and not with single letters (with just few exception which are the vowels and the N).

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#17 (permalink))
Old
dougbrowne (Offline)
JF Regular

03-19-2009, 01:13 AM

To explain Kanji a bit clearer..

Hiragana and Katakana are both alphabets similar to the roman one we use for english. Each character represents the sound that it makes when pronounced and nothing more, the characters have no meaning until you form a word with them. In the romaji, the letter b makes the sound b but has no meaning to it what so ever, until you combine it with other letters like ullet to form bullet, bullet is a word and has a meaning of it's own.

Onto Kanji. Kanji is mainly used because things written in Hiragana and Katakana don't really have a shape to them like in romaji, for example, you can write tinhgs and you can still see that is says things, but if you were to write knnochiniwa in Hiragana you probably would not be able to read it as konnichiwa. But on the other hand, every kanji has a different shape and meaning unique to it, and when you see a specific kanji, that meaning instantly sparks in your head. If everything was written in the kanas, things would be hard to read, but kanji solve that problem.

Kanji have a meaning and a few readings to them. There are two types of readings for each kanji, ON reading and KUN reading. Generally you use the ON pronunciation/reading when the kanji is used next to 1 or more kanji and the KUN reading/pronunciation is used when the kanji is used by itself or side by side with kana (kana is short for hiragana and katakana)

Some Examples:

To drink -

Romaji - nomu
Hiragana - のむ
Kanji - 飲む

All three of these are pronounced "nomu" and mean the verb to drink. The most common one you would see written is the kanji form.

飲 is pronounced as no in this situation
and the む (pronounced mu) is added next to the kanji to be able to conjugate it to present, negative, past, past negative, etc. For example to say drink in the past tense, you would say "nomanai" which is written as
飲まない

As you can see the kanji meaning to drink was left alone but the kana changed to represent the new conjugation..

Sorry if Im confusing you but in a nutshell, the kanas have sounds to them but no meaning, while each kanji has it's own meaning (and pronunciation/reading)

Any questions?

Last edited by dougbrowne : 03-19-2009 at 01:18 AM.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

03-19-2009, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbrowne View Post
Any questions?
I know what you are trying to say but I think you made it very muddy.

Hiragana/Katakana/Roman Alphabet only expresses sound and not meaning.
Kanji is the opposite, it expresses meaning but no sound.

Kanji is Chinese characters, it was designed for Chinese, not Japanese which is in a completely different language family. Because Japanese uses Kanji, it essentially created 2 classes of words. Sino(Chinese)-Japanese and native Japanese words. As a result of this, most Kanji in Japanese have 2 readings (or more).

ON Reading is the Japanese approximation of the original Chinese reading and it is used for expressing complex ideas and used when a Chinese-derived word is used.

KUN Reading is literally just a native Japanese translation of the meaning of the Kanji into pure Japanese.

Example: 飲
When the Japanese first saw this character and was told it means to drink, they fished out a word in native Japanese, のむ and they assigned this reading to the character whenever they want to express the idea of to drink.

At the same time, they were told that this character's Chinese pronounciation is イン and this word, in Chinese, when combined with other characters, can mean lots of things that native Japanese can't express concisely such as:

飲用水(いんようすい) - Drinking water. There is no word in native Japanese that can express this idea without it becoming a sentence. So what the Japanese did is they just used this Chinese word verbatim in Japanese, including the Chinese pronciation (ON reading).
(#19 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-19-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbrowne View Post
...but if you were to write knnochiniwa in Hiragana you probably would not be able to read it as konnichiwa...
Actually a friend from Japan stopped me from writing こんにちは (konnichiha) in kanji 今日は. He told me that it might be mixed up with きょうは (kyouha), which means today. So I always write konnichiha in hiragana.

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Taranee987 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Taranee987 Send a message via Yahoo to Taranee987 Send a message via Skype™ to Taranee987
03-19-2009, 01:53 PM

I have been studying japanese for two years by myself now and i still use kids web to help me out it is a really great page for those who have just started to learn japanese

Kids Web Japan

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/ tv tokyo's home page is actually a great page to learn and write certain words in japanese

also a good tip try and make a dictionary japanese\english whit the words you know in japanese and then ad the english word like "sugoi" means incredible and so on, this way you can keep track of how many words you know and practice whit them in a dialogue

another tip is that you can use an old\new note book print out the katakana and hiragana chart paste it inside the notebook and then you start to write sentences in japanese first romaji then you try and write the same sentence but now you write in katakana and then you can try and write it in hiragana

these are some of my study methods i came up whit when i started to learn japanese i really hope i helped you some what

Are you nice to people they usually are nice back