JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to darksyndrem
03-26-2009, 11:42 PM

Well, I can learn them I just feel like I'm learning them very slowly. I've gotten through like 35 in a few days, well I guess that's better than I think it is?
(#12 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

03-27-2009, 12:58 AM

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to learn all of the Hiragana and Katakana in a week or less. I made flash cards for all of them and started with Hiragana. Take three days to learn all of them front and back (be able to know how to say しゅ and be able to write kyo etc.) then do the same for Katakana. I took my flashcards literally everywhere with me and just reviewed them whenever I was waiting for something. On day seven you should mix them all up and go through all of them knowing each one and if it's Hiragana or Katakana.

That's how I learned, at least.

Oh. And it also helps if you come up with stupid sayings for the ones you can't remember very well (よ looks like a YO-yo, etc.)
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Uriko (Offline)
JF Cereal Killer

03-27-2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
People say Genki is a good textbook. Pound for pound music and anime are not good tools for language learning. Your time is much better spent with your nose in a textbook than watching anime or translating lyrics.
Genki is a really good textbook.

Uriko recommends. (^-^)-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksyndrem View Post
Well, I can learn them I just feel like I'm learning them very slowly. I've gotten through like 35 in a few days, well I guess that's better than I think it is?
35 out of the 46 hiragana? that's pretty good, don't you think?

how i learned it, i just sat down one night & memorized.
rewrote things 'til they stuck.
used the hiragana & wrote the names of characters or celebrities that i liked.

wasn't too shabby.

But to despair was to wish back for something already lost.
Or to prolong what was already unbearable.

Last edited by Uriko : 03-27-2009 at 01:18 AM.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-27-2009, 01:09 AM

You can "learn" all the hiragana in a few days, but it takes weeks to "know" them. Find a pace that works for you (I recommend 5 a day) and stick with it.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

03-27-2009, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriko View Post
Genki is a really good textbook.

Uriko recommends. (^-^)-b

35 out of the 46 hiragana? that's pretty good, don't you think?

how i learned it, i just sat down one night & memorized.
rewrote things 'til they stuck.
used the hiragana & wrote the names of characters or celebrities that i liked.

wasn't too shabby.
Yeah~I guess you're right. And is there any untranslated online manga? Like onemanga.com except in Japanese that yall think would be good for practicing my reading? I've been looking all through my school library and I've yet to find any Japanese books, trying not to spend money lol
(#16 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
03-27-2009, 03:03 AM

How about chatting with Japanese people at Yahoo Japan Chat?

Yahoo!メッセンジャー - チャット

And here is a link site for free Manga sites (for Japanese).

http://enchanting.cside.com/service/freecomic.html

Among those links, you can find some picture books for Japanese children with limitted Kanji.

Web

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.

Last edited by RadioKid : 03-27-2009 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Added link for Picture book site
(#17 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

03-27-2009, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Please help, I feel like it's taking forever to learn just the Hiragana, and I would like to be able to read Hiragana and Katakana as soon as possible so I can stop using Romaji
Unfortunately it's just memory work. You'll just have to remember it, use flash cards, whatever.

One thing you can try is listen to Japanese music while following the lyrics. Great for learning hiragana (bad for everything else). But give it a go.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

03-27-2009, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Yeah~I guess you're right. And is there any untranslated online manga? Like onemanga.com except in Japanese that yall think would be good for practicing my reading? I've been looking all through my school library and I've yet to find any Japanese books, trying not to spend money lol
Manga is a terribly flawed way to learn Japanese mainly because the Japanese written in those things are way too broken. They drop random particles, shorten some while not others.

To a native Japanese person with a solid foundation in Japanese, they know what the author is trying to say and their brains automatically fill in the gaps. But for Japanese learners with shaky foundations, it just looks like a random mess.

e.g. Japanese person hears "なにやってんの?", brain process it as なにをしているの?(怒られたかも).
(#19 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

03-27-2009, 05:08 PM

Thanks Radio!! And Kira, I see what you mean by what you said with the manga, but I'm not really looking to use manga to learn japanese, just to get used to seeing the Hiragana and Katakana and recognizing them quickly. If that makes more sense?
(#20 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

03-28-2009, 12:11 AM

Well, I've come to another problem to bother yall with
I don't know if any of yall use an SRS(spaced repetition system) but if you do, I could use a little help. First of all, my Japanese keyboarding will only type in Katakana, I don't have a clue how you guys type with Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji. Secondly, when I'm looking for sentences, and I've found a sentence that I want to learn, how will I know what it is in english? Or what the "answer" is? I thought there was one more thing but I can't remember at the moment lol
Thanks in advance for the help and thank you very much for the help you guys have already given