JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   My Study (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/23987-my-study.html)

darksyndrem 03-26-2009 12:50 AM

My Study

Well, I wanted to share what I do to study Japanese right now, and hopefully yall can help me on how to improve! Well, right now I'm trying AJATT, I'm learning Hiragana by writing a few down and then copying them without looking a ton and I then add a few letters. I've been doing that for a day or two and I've gotten through 25 of the Hiragana :) I'm also looking up random words, most objects that I see throughout the day and writing them down and when I see them again I repeat that word in Japanese. (I hope this is making sense) Also I'm always listening to Japanese music or listening to a Japanese radio station. I'm working on getting some anime in all Japanese right now. Is there anything else that I should be doing??

Oh also, I have everything on my computer that can be in Japanese, in Japanese

MMM 03-26-2009 12:55 AM

People say Genki is a good textbook. Pound for pound music and anime are not good tools for language learning. Your time is much better spent with your nose in a textbook than watching anime or translating lyrics.

darksyndrem 03-26-2009 02:14 AM

eh I don't know, textbooks and me aren't very good friends.
I've been going with AJATT (I can't remember if I said that already or not) so, I was kind of talking about like increasing my Japanese "environment" and things like that. Also, could someone help me set up an srs with sentences like he talks about in AJATT?

kirakira 03-26-2009 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darksyndrem (Post 688519)
eh I don't know, textbooks and me aren't very good friends.
I've been going with AJATT (I can't remember if I said that already or not) so, I was kind of talking about like increasing my Japanese "environment" and things like that. Also, could someone help me set up an srs with sentences like he talks about in AJATT?

I never really got AJATT, but yes different people learn differently. In order to pick up a language without studying, you will have to live in Japan, and communicate by trial and error and slowly, and I do mean sloooowly, you may be able to communicate, but you will still be illiterate.

Furhter to what MMN said, there is no a chance in hell you can learn Japanese just by watching Japanese anime and lyrics.

jesselt 03-26-2009 05:37 AM

While I don't think that listening to Japanese music and watching anime is a bad thing (it can be fun to pick out words that you recognize and get a sense of the pace at which people talk) I agree with Kirakira and MMM that you should never use it as a learning tool. You should never use English subtitles to help you learn because they've often been changed and don't mean the same thing that they are saying in Japanese.

chryuop 03-26-2009 12:11 PM

Kirakiraさん, better MMN than M'N'M...sorry I was just kidding...

darksyndrem 03-26-2009 12:17 PM

Ok, I think you guys misunderstood me, when I said I'm watching anime(no subtitles btw) and listening to Japanese music or the radio, I don't mean that to be the way I'm going to "learn" Japanese. Because I know you can't learn Japanese by just listening to it. Right now, what I'm doing to learn Japanese is learning the syllabyries(sp?) by the method I said in my first post.

darksyndrem 03-26-2009 11:14 PM

Please help, I feel like it's taking forever to learn just the Hiragana, and I would like to be able to read Hiragana and Katakana as soon as possible so I can stop using Romaji

alanX 03-26-2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darksyndrem (Post 688780)
Please help, I feel like it's taking forever to learn just the Hiragana, and I would like to be able to read Hiragana and Katakana as soon as possible so I can stop using Romaji

Memorize five a day. If you can't do that...then something must be wrong. lol
And IMO, AJATT is a bunch of bologna.

SHAD0W 03-26-2009 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanX (Post 688782)
Memorize five a day. If you can't do that...then something must be wrong. lol
And IMO, AJATT is a bunch of bologna.

Disagreed. I learn by doing and when i'm not in my japanese environment i feel im letting myself down. I've been out of the loop for the past 6 weeks now.. one more week of uni before we break off for a bit then i can study properly again. Everything i know is from AJATT, so it can't be so bad (yes yes i know I suck, but the point is - im getting there).