JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Gettersaga (Offline)
New to JF

A little doubt - 03-27-2009, 02:05 PM

Thinking about what you told me about that Dazai's sentence, Nagoyankee, I've looked back at the previous sentence, as I thought "there is something wrong in how I think it can be", and the first part of it is not perfectly clear

人殺鬼、吸血鬼、などと憎むべきものを鬼と呼ぶところ から見ても、これはとにかく醜悪の性格を有する生き物 らしいと思っていると 。。。

Well, as the subject of the prevoius sentences was "I", I think that it is "When I think that ..." and about "korewa" I thought it is referred to the "onis" so we could read it as "when I think that the onis look like living being that have ..." and so on. I could mistake any way.
It's the "人殺鬼、吸血鬼、などと憎むべきものを鬼と呼ぶとこ から見ても" part that is now confusing me.
If you could help me to understand that part, I'd be grateful to you.
If you can't or don't want, well I understand. I can't disturb you.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

03-27-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettersaga View Post
Thinking about what you told me about that Dazai's sentence, Nagoyankee, I've looked back at the previous sentence, as I thought "there is something wrong in how I think it can be", and the first part of it is not perfectly clear

人殺鬼、吸血鬼、などと憎むべきものを鬼と呼ぶところ から見ても、これはとにかく醜悪の性格を有する生き物 らしいと思っていると 。。。

Well, as the subject of the prevoius sentences was "I", I think that it is "When I think that ..." and about "korewa" I thought it is referred to the "onis" so we could read it as "when I think that the onis look like living being that have ..." and so on. I could mistake any way.
It's the "人殺鬼、吸血鬼、などと憎むべきものを鬼と呼ぶとこ から見ても" part that is now confusing me.
If you could help me to understand that part, I'd be grateful to you.
If you can't or don't want, well I understand. I can't disturb you.
I'll be happy to respond as it was I who spoke of the importance of a good grasp of the previous sentence.

You are basically correct in saying that the subject of the sentence is "I" even though it is hidden. But it would help you more if you thought that the hidden subject were the equivalent of the third-person French pronoun "on" rather than the English first-person "I". The narrator isn't really only speaking of himself.

I feel that what you didn't quite understand was the ところから見ても part. "~~ところから見ても" means "judging from the fact that ~~".

"人殺鬼、吸血鬼、などと憎むべきものを鬼と呼ぶとこ から見ても", therefore, means "Judging from the fact that people call 'oni' the detestable things such as the murderer and the vampire".

The whole sentence, in effect, is saying, "People have the perception that a word containing the character 鬼 must mean a dangerous, ugly-natured man. But in the newspaper, they use the term 鬼才 to describe the greatest authors. This confuses the narrator."

In reality, the narrator isn't at all confused because any Japanese-speaker would know all that. This is why I said in my previous post that I hoped that you had sensed the light humor in the following sentence that was in question.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Gettersaga (Offline)
New to JF

03-27-2009, 04:42 PM

Thank you very much for your help.
I'm learning interesting things from you, you are too much kind.