(#11 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-30-2009, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
バナナですね is probably exactly how I would answer that. This is partially because everyone knows bananas are good.
I would use neither in the first situation. If someone simply asked me what my favorite fruit was, and if it were banana (it`s not, but...) I would answer with バナナです.
If the topic was about which was better, banana vs apples or something like that, and I was asked which I preferred - I`d side with the banana side saying バナナですね.
And finally, if I were eating banana and someone asked me "What is that you`re eating?" I`d answer with バナナですよ.

No, wait, I`ll add another. I often answer with ~ですけど? but am having trouble coming up with a somewhat believable situation to apply it to bananas.

It depends very much on the situation.

I do have to admit I can come up with pretty much no scenario in which I would say バナナですわ unless it involved imitating someone.

(Actually, in reply to the first question, *I* would answer with something more like バナナじゃないんですかね.)

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-30-2009, 04:59 AM

バナナですね sounds like a "soft" answer...almost as if you are thinking out loud. The ね is almost like you are asking for agreement with yourself.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

03-30-2009, 05:04 AM

Slight suggestion: Could the title of this thread be changed to something more specific? Right now, it's up to confused interpretation...

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-30-2009, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
Slight suggestion: Could the title of this thread be changed to something more specific? Right now, it's up to confused interpretation...
What would you suggest?
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Trouble (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-01-2009, 04:32 AM

The reason why I wouldn't use "yo" in "Bananas are good!" is that it'd sound a bit too much like "Bananas are good, I tell you, good!"
Not sure about other people, but I'd back off.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-01-2009, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
The reason why I wouldn't use "yo" in "Bananas are good!" is that it'd sound a bit too much like "Bananas are good, I tell you, good!"
Not sure about other people, but I'd back off.
It`s nowhere even close to that strong.
You could say it with absolutely no one backing off - unless, of course, you were saying it in that tone of voice.

I can`t think of a normal situation where I would just say バナナ美味しいですよ to someone out of the blue. To be more exact, I can`t come up with any situation where I would feel the need to tell anyone that bananas tasted good to begin with. Maybe このバナナ美味しいですよ, or あの店のバナナ美味しいですよ, etc

Or maybe if I were eating a banana and someone came up and expressed disgust, I might respond with the like.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.