JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Trouble (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Personal Preferences - 03-29-2009, 05:23 PM

Wasn't sure whether or not this belonged in Japan Travel, so I just placed it here.So what are your personal preferences when it comes to Japan(ese)? What I mean is do you use wa at the end of a sentence, he or ni, plain speech or polite speech, hotel or bed and breakfast inn, etc.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-29-2009, 06:14 PM

I am not sure what you are getting at. は、に、and へ are not sentence-enders in general and are not interchangeable. It is like asking if you prefer to end your sentences with "is", "to" or "in". I use plain speech when it is appropriate and polite speech when it is appropriate.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-29-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I use plain speech when it is appropriate and polite speech when it is appropriate.
As you do.

I don't think this is going to go anywhere..

Mods, do your thing please..

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-29-2009, 06:27 PM

I'll give Trouble a chance to explain.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Trouble (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-29-2009, 07:34 PM

You know how "ni" and "he" are both direction/goal markers? Well that's what I meant. And what I meant about the final "wa" thing is that if you like to use it to soften the sentence a bit, but that was mainly geared towards the female members of JF. And also, "ne", "yo", and so on are also ending particles that are basically up to you to use in your sentence.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

03-30-2009, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
You know how "ni" and "he" are both direction/goal markers? Well that's what I meant. And what I meant about the final "wa" thing is that if you like to use it to soften the sentence a bit, but that was mainly geared towards the female members of JF. And also, "ne", "yo", and so on are also ending particles that are basically up to you to use in your sentence.
わ is pretty much dead in young Japanese speakers. In the case of female enters, わ is only used when the person is annoyed.

I prefer へ to に when I want to emphasise direction such as どこへ行くの? to emphasis the fact I want to know where that person is going TO although this is just a personal thing as に is just as good. But へ and に are not always interchangeable when it comes to compound particles.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

03-30-2009, 03:50 AM

As for ね and よ, ね is usually used when you mean "isn't it" or when you think the person you're talking with will agree with you, among other things. よ is usually used when you are stating new information that the listener might not know, among other things. I'm pretty sure it would sound awkward if someone asked you something like どんな食べ物が好きですか。and you responded with バナナですね though I could be wrong, just sounds sort of weird to me >_>
(#8 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
03-30-2009, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesselt View Post
As for ね and よ, ね is usually used when you mean "isn't it" or when you think the person you're talking with will agree with you, among other things. よ is usually used when you are stating new information that the listener might not know, among other things. I'm pretty sure it would sound awkward if someone asked you something like どんな食べ物が好きですか。and you responded with バナナですね though I could be wrong, just sounds sort of weird to me >_>
ね doesn't necessarily mean you're trying to get someone to agree with you....it's just like a feeling that's added to the end...you can't really explain it. Or at least I don't know how.

猿も木から落ちる
(#9 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

03-30-2009, 04:25 AM

You can use it in the context where you assume that the other person will agree with you on a sentiment. Like "Isn't this cute?" might have ね at the end, because it isn't exactly a question that requires a yes or no answer.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-30-2009, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesselt View Post
バナナですね is probably exactly how I would answer that. This is partially because everyone knows bananas are good.

If someone said "I heard you don't like bananas" I would say バナナが好きですよ to make it clear they had poor information.