JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   Is this a good way to learn the language? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/24101-good-way-learn-language.html)

BakaCrisis 03-30-2009 11:58 PM

Is this a good way to learn the language?

Hey there,

I have picked up about 3 Shonen Jump manga from a local Convention. They are in the native Japanese language both Hirigana and Katakana with SOME Kanji, but they have furigana next to it.

My question is, if I translate word for word what is going on, would this help me read the language?

alanX 03-31-2009 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BakaCrisis (Post 690962)
Hey there,

I have picked up about 3 Shonen Jump manga from a local Convention. They are in the native Japanese language both Hirigana and Katakana with SOME Kanji, but they have furigana next to it.

My question is, if I translate word for word what is going on, would this help me read the language?

Of course. Probably one of the best methods, IMO. (Don't care what others think of it, lol)
Haven't you heard of AJATT? I don't agree with all of AJATT, but I do agree with this, at least.

Oh and I'm in love with your sig, by the way. NESS pretty much equals pure ownage.

Hatredcopter 03-31-2009 12:40 AM

Assuming you knew the grammar, it would help with reading comprehension a bit. There's certain grammatical points that can't really be translated or looked up using a dictionary, so if you don't know them, you'll get hung up on those. You should very much be at an intermediate Japanese level if you want to tackle manga.

BakaCrisis 03-31-2009 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanX (Post 690966)
Of course. Probably one of the best methods, IMO. (Don't care what others think of it, lol)
Haven't you heard of AJATT? I don't agree with all of AJATT, but I do agree with this, at least.

Oh and I'm in love with your sig, by the way. NESS pretty much equals pure ownage.

Yea, I have been reading AJATT since December, Great methods. I doubt I will contact him until I am fully capable of holding a Japanese conversation.

Do you brawl? And I can make you a Sig if you like? ( For free ^_~ )

But back on topic... Umm, Yea, I have Prince of Tennis and 2 Soul Eater Mangas... Are these good for starters? or are they Too advanced?

alanX 03-31-2009 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BakaCrisis (Post 691020)
Yea, I have been reading AJATT since December, Great methods. I doubt I will contact him until I am fully capable of holding a Japanese conversation.

Do you brawl? And I can make you a Sig if you like? ( For free ^_~ )

But back on topic... Umm, Yea, I have Prince of Tennis and 2 Soul Eater Mangas... Are these good for starters? or are they Too advanced?

It will greatly help with the understanding of sentence structure, and vastly increase your vocabulary.

So, it's a great way to study.

LuckyLuck 03-31-2009 01:14 AM

Sounds like it might be easier to just buy a program or something.

BakaCrisis 03-31-2009 01:16 AM

Forgive me, but.. Fucking buying a program. Why should I purchase language? I thought it was all about Freedom of speech? I've downloaded 20+ gigs solely to learning the languge.. I just have not applied myself and the time to take it seriously. -_- I'm too much on a budget to pay someone to speak.

jacobf 03-31-2009 01:21 AM

In my personal opinion, and this isn't true for anyone because everyone learns differently, it may help you and it may not. What I would recommend as a good way to learn the language is to get a textbook of some kind (like Genki/げんき) followed by a grammar/verb book (I have Oxford's Guide to Japanese Verbs), then get a book for learning the kanji efficiently (I am using Remembering the Kanji with Wakan/Internet supplement). The language is a huge task to take on, but with dedication I'm sure you can find your way on the road to victory. I also think going with the method I said will save you time in the long run, and give you more of a vocabulary so you can read more manga without looking up each word and sentence! :)

Also, if you are on a budget, you can find MANY books on the Internet, Google is a great resource.

alanX 03-31-2009 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BakaCrisis (Post 691039)
Forgive me, but.. Fucking buying a program. Why should I purchase language? I thought it was all about Freedom of speech? I've downloaded 20+ gigs solely to learning the languge.. I just have not applied myself and the time to take it seriously. -_- I'm too much on a budget to pay someone to speak.

AGREED.

It should a 100% natural process. Just like everyone's first language. Purchasing bilingualism is total BS.

LuckyLuck 03-31-2009 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BakaCrisis (Post 691039)

Because it's someones idea transitioned into a product. People worked hard and spent money so that others who wanted to learn second languages could do so in a more efficient manner. Surprisingly enough those same entrepreneurs needed money to make a living, which is why they charged you to buy it. That has nothing to do with freedom of speech, at all.