JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
jacobf (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to jacobf Send a message via MSN to jacobf Send a message via Yahoo to jacobf Send a message via Skype™ to jacobf
Tips for those using Remembering the Kanji - 03-31-2009, 05:32 AM

Hello guys, I am going to give some tips for those of you using Remembering the Kanji which may help you out!

The first thing that I would recommend you do is download a program called Wakan. The website is here: WaKan Project Website - About . It will help you out greatly in the long run.

After downloading that, I recommend you bookmark this site:
The Jouyou Kanji
We will use this in a bit.

The way that I have been using this method is with flash cards, you can choose any way that you would like, but let me explain to you my method:

The first thing I do is draw the kanji out on the blank side of the index card, after that, I will put the number that it is in Heisig's book in the top left corner (for example, I would write out 一, then put 1 in the top left corner).

After doing this, flip the card over to the lined side. Using Wakan, search for the kanji (you can easily find it by searching for things by stroke order + radicals). Using Wakan, write down the meanings, onyomi, and kunyomi.

Then, after using Wakan, go back to Remembering the Kanji and write down the stroke order on the lined side (I am doing this in the upper-right corner).

After writing down the stroke order, write down the story or information that Heisig gives you. (I am doing this at the bottom of the lined-side). Also be sure to write down what the kanji means when it is used as a primitive.

Lastly, I will go to the second website linked above (The Jouyou Kanji) and search for the kanji. If it shows up on there in one of the lists from Grade 1 - Grade 6 and Secondary School Kanji, I put a check under the number (on the blank side). If it is being added, I put two checks instead of one. If it is being removed, I put a circle. And lastly, if it is used in names, I put a check in the bottom-left corner instead of under the number.

This has been helping me out quite a bit, and I hope that it can go on to help others.

I will add more things as I do them. Until then, let me know what works for you or if you like my method.

Thanks!

EDIT:
Here is a mockup of my flash cards in Photoshop.

Last edited by jacobf : 03-31-2009 at 05:42 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Ohad (Offline)
JF Regular

03-31-2009, 08:27 PM

Well done
(#3 (permalink))
Old
jacobf (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to jacobf Send a message via MSN to jacobf Send a message via Yahoo to jacobf Send a message via Skype™ to jacobf
03-31-2009, 08:32 PM

Also, Heisig made part of his book available online for free so that you can try it. If you are using it, I recommend HIGHLY that you use other resources (like Wakan).

Here is the link to the sample:
http://www.nanzan-u.ac.jp/SHUBUNKEN/...201_sample.pdf
(#4 (permalink))
Old
bombpersons (Offline)
New to JF

04-07-2009, 09:36 AM

Much easier to use an SRS like Anki....
Also if you want something like Wakan for Firefox, Rikaichan is awesome
(#5 (permalink))
Old
bhl88 (Offline)
JF Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
04-07-2009, 04:33 PM

Actually there's also another way...

Associating the kanji with objects or anime or etc.

団長(danchou) - you could guess where I learned this XD

Info on Lolita Fashion: TeamSugar LiveJournal

(#6 (permalink))
Old
japanesewords (Offline)
New to JF

04-08-2009, 10:59 AM

Great write up. There is a pretty good flash card program called mnemosyne that will help you learn quicker by tracking which cards you are learning and which ones you aren't. You can even download the full list of remembering the kanji list into it.

Japanese Words -tips, articles, and materials on learning Japanese.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
AnneH (Offline)
New to JF

12-02-2009, 02:19 PM

I think the advice here is great I do have a quick question though. Heisig recommends that you learn the meaning of the Kanji before going into the readings. I am using programmes like Anki as well as my own flashcards, but I was wondering should I be studying in two ways. Have one set of cards where I'm learning the kanji and another set where I am learning the meaning. What do you think? I've tried learning Kanji in the past and I always get to the point where I'm confused about which reading is within a single word - so many textbooks on my shelf half-completed . I know my card system won't fix this problem but I don't want to get to the stage where I know hundreds of meaning and no readings. Could you tell me what you think about my system and whether it is good or not
(#8 (permalink))
Old
yuriyuri (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-02-2009, 06:30 PM

Personally, from your post I can't understand what you are doing.
But here is my opinion and what I do anyway.

What I do is use heisig for writing (Which is what it's for) and then use the "Kanji in context" books to learn how to read.

The general process of most people who do heisig is:
-Learn how to write with RTK 1
(And if your like me, RTK 3 as well for an extra ~1,000 kanji... Just for the fun of it)
-Go through Tae Kim's site for grammar
-Use a book like "Kanji in Context" or "Kanji odyssey" to learn how to read.

Some people (Including myself) change the heisig keywords to Japanese keywords: wrightak - After Remembering the Kanji Volume 1

The important thing about this is that you stop relying on English keywords, a lot of which don't actually give the correct meaning to the kanji... they are only a handle to remember the writing after all.
I mean, why he chose the keyword "Town" for 村 and "Village" for 町 I don't know, but most people seem to swap these around anyway.
(I did because it just got on my nerves)

The reason for learning to read through sentences is because for the majority of people (It seems) learning how to read kanji in sentences is the best and most efficient way.
Eventually you end up being able to guess readings (Unless it happens to be an irregular one, but you learn those on a need to know basis anyway)
And lets face it, you may as well learn how to read kanji in context anyway, since this is how you will be reading them forever.

The best place to ask questions about heisig related stuff really is: Reviewing the Kanji - Learning Japanese
Everybody over there has either completed heisig, is thinking about starting it, or is in progress. (Which also means that threads don't turn into heisig flame wars lol)
Lots of ideas are always thrown around when it comes to SRS and a lot of people will probably have far better answers than I on this subject

Anyway, my opinion:
-Don't take the keywords as actual meanings (If this is what you are doing)
-Learn to read by reading

(#9 (permalink))
Old
AnneH (Offline)
New to JF

12-03-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriyuri View Post
Personally, from your post I can't understand what you are doing.
But here is my opinion and what I do anyway.

What I do is use heisig for writing (Which is what it's for) and then use the "Kanji in context" books to learn how to read.

Sorry I wasn't very clear in my previous post. What I mean to say was to have one set of cards to learn meaning and another set (kanji I know the meaning of) for learning reading. After reading other posts here, though, I can see this really won't work as I won't retain the readings on their own as it is important to understand context.

I do have one question though. Apologies if this is really stupid but if I am faced with, for example, 上がる how do I know if this is 'あがる or のぼがる? Now maybe のぼがる doesn't exist, but that's not my point. What I really want to know is, if I am faced with this word for the first time are there are some cues which determine the reading/pronunication? Another book I've just started using is 'Kanji in Mangaland'. It's a nice book and whilst I can read the kanji I think it's because I know the word rather than figuring out which reading to apply and when. So is that it. Do I have to know the word(the kana) before I can figure out the reading? I'd imagine if it was in a certain context I may be able to figure it out, but what if it stands alone?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

12-03-2009, 06:36 PM

You download Rikaichan for Firefox and it will tell you how to read it. Or, you look it up in a Kanji dictionary.