JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to darksyndrem
*sigh* another AJATT question xD - 04-02-2009, 12:15 PM

Ok, so I've recently started my Kanji study (phase2) and I already know Katakana/Hiragana(phase3), so my question is, should I start doing sentences during phase2?? And if so when in phase2??
(#2 (permalink))
Old
jacobf (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to jacobf Send a message via MSN to jacobf Send a message via Yahoo to jacobf Send a message via Skype™ to jacobf
04-02-2009, 02:56 PM

I'm not sure about AJATT, I haven't looked over his methods or anything, however I would recommend you do sentences all of the time, all they can do is help you and reinforce grammar and vocaubulary.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Lucas89 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-02-2009, 04:54 PM

I would say when you can read kana your good to go with sentences.
I have been doing sentences the whole time, it doesn't matter when you start them but i think the earlier the better.

You don't have to go through the same "phase" order as Khatz did it, for example although i like the method, agree it works, and do it all the time, i didn't pay any attention to what order his says to do things in.

In the end if you think your ready to do sentences, then do them, same with all the other "phases"
(#4 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

04-02-2009, 05:21 PM

Well I plan on learning the Kanji readings and grammar with the sentences, does that change anything?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Lucas89 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-02-2009, 05:30 PM

nope, not at all.

Even if you learnt to read all of the kanji before you did heisig, it would still make no difference.... other than the fact that you would already be able to read the kanji
(#6 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

04-03-2009, 01:37 AM

So should I use furigana for the first of my sentences?? To be honest, I don't really have a clue how to fix my sentences and I feel like khatzu doesn't explain it a whole lot?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
jacobf (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to jacobf Send a message via MSN to jacobf Send a message via Yahoo to jacobf Send a message via Skype™ to jacobf
04-03-2009, 03:47 AM

Don't ever limit yourself to just following his method, you will only hurt yourself in the end. If you think using the furigana will help, then use it, otherwise don't. It's up to you. If YOU personally think it will help you learn better, by all means do it. I haven't been doing it, but if I use a kanji I don't know in a sentence then I will.

What I'm trying to say is don't limit yourself to ONE person's methods that worked for them. Learning a language isn't like following a walkthrough to beat a game (which is what it seems you are using AJATT for), it takes a lot of effort, and basically forming your own methods to find out what works for you.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
bombpersons (Offline)
New to JF

04-07-2009, 09:13 AM

I started doing sentences about half-way through heisig, (using http://www.guidetojapanese.org/). There were a few kanji I couldn't write at that point, but I just learned to recognise them untill I learnt how to write them. Don't use ふりがな, you can still learn the readings of the kanji, even if you don't know how to write them. If you can, I would suggest you finish heisig as quick as you can, but if you motivation is started to suffer (like mine was) then starting to add sentences early might help.

If you have questions about AJATT or Heisigs method, at This site pretty much everyone there uses AJATT so you might get better answers there