JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   Translation help. (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/24410-translation-help.html)

BloodRaevynn 04-10-2009 11:53 PM

Translation help.

I'm trying to understand this one part of the intro to an anime; really, it's just the one word I don't understand.

"tetsu no akuma wo [tataete] kudaku"

It might not be even be "tataete;" the audio was a bit fuzzy.

MMM 04-10-2009 11:57 PM

tatakau means to fight, battle, or strike

kirakira 04-11-2009 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodRaevynn (Post 696330)
I'm trying to understand this one part of the intro to an anime; really, it's just the one word I don't understand.

"tetsu no akuma wo [tataete] kudaku"

It might not be even be "tataete;" the audio was a bit fuzzy.

鉄の悪魔を叩いて砕く。

To beat and crush the devil of iron.

RadioKid 04-11-2009 12:42 AM

>"tetsu no akuma wo [tataete] kudaku"

[Praise and] destroy the evil of iron.
testsu: iron
akuma: evil
tatae-te: praise
kuda-ku: destroy

BloodRaevynn 04-11-2009 12:43 AM

I don't think that's it. That's what I thought it was until I listened more closely and realized there wasn't a "ka" in there; so unless there's a verb form I'm not aware of that gets rid of the "ka" (in which case I'll still need to know the meaning of that verb form or I won't know to relate it to the rest of the sentence), it's something else.

"Tataete" should be either "tatau" or "tataeru," shouldn't it? But I can't find "tatau" anywhere and "tataeru" means "to praise or extole;" and I can't understand how that word would work in the context of the rest of the sentence. That's why I was wondering if I was mishearing something.

kirakira 04-11-2009 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodRaevynn (Post 696357)
I don't think that's it. That's what I thought it was until I listened more closely and realized there wasn't a "ka" in there; so unless there's a verb form I'm not aware of that gets rid of the "ka" (in which case I'll still need to know the meaning of that verb form or I won't know to relate it to the rest of the sentence), it's something else.

"Tataete" should be either "tatau" or "tataeru," shouldn't it? But I can't find "tatau" anywhere and "tataeru" means "to praise or extole;" and I can't understand how that word would work in the context of the rest of the sentence. That's why I was wondering if I was mishearing something.

In future avoid romaji.

BloodRaevynn 04-11-2009 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirakira (Post 696354)
鉄の悪魔を叩いて砕く。

To beat and crush the devil of iron.

Thanks kirakira; I'm pretty sure this is the right one!

BloodRaevynn 04-11-2009 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirakira (Post 696363)
I've already given you the answer. Read my post. And in future avoid romaji.

Your post wasn't up when i started writing that, and I don't know how to type japanese characters on my computer.

kirakira 04-11-2009 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodRaevynn (Post 696366)
Your post wasn't up when i started writing that, and I don't know how to type japanese characters on my computer.

Yeah I realised.

To enable Japanese on your computer:
GMAN: Windows XP Japanese Input