JapanForum.com  

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Kuroneko (Offline)
JF Vet.

Japanese Help Questions/Translations - 01-15-2007, 07:19 PM

I've noticed a lot of "Help me with Japanese" and "Would you translate this for me" Threads and I thought that it would be so much easier (not to mention the amount of time looking for a certain question would be cut in half) if every one would post their Japanese related questions here. I myself am fairly proficient in Japanese and would be more than happy to help any one. I'm sure that any other JF member who is skilled in Japanese can help as well.

Good luck and happy posting/translating

"To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering, one must not love. But then, one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer."

Last edited by Kuroneko : 01-15-2007 at 08:21 PM. Reason: No hits
(#2 (permalink))
Old
StonerPenguin (Offline)
loves bein' gross ಥ‿à

02-01-2011, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
ç›®ã¤ããŒæ‚ªã„ = to have a sinister/evil/criminal look. It is NOT about just eyes.

ãªã‚“ã­ã‡ã‹ãª (Kanto tough guy speech) < ãªã‚‰ãªã„ã‹ãª

"Wonder if he isn't going to have a sinister look (like me)."
Thanks Masaegu, gotta love tough guy speech :/
(#3 (permalink))
Old
yuriyuri (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-01-2011, 07:37 AM

masaegu thank you for your answer

Yes it is an animation.
Sorry I probably should have mentioned that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
~~ã¨ã¯ã„ã‹ãªã„ means "Something may be good enough for a replacement if not as ideal as ~~."

You may want to re-learn the particle ã¨ã¯, which I assure you is a weak point for Japanese learners. ã„ã is such an important verb as well, especially when it's written in kana. If someone thinks it just means "to go", that someone hasn't even started studying Japanese. I am not kidding here.

Here ã„ã means "to reach (or to be) at a satisfactory level".
Actually my translation of "It's not a wolfman or mummy" was supposed to carry the same kind of meaning as the translation you just gave me, but I can see now that writing my translation as just "It's not a wolfman or mummy" doesn't exactly get the message across.

I should have written my whole translation of something like:
"It's not a wolfman or mummy but it's still someone we can play cards with"

Perhaps my own translation could still use some work (I am trying to get better at translation now) but I'm glad to see I was thinking correctly

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
StonerPenguin (Offline)
loves bein' gross ಥ‿à

02-01-2011, 03:48 PM

Okay, it's time to feel nerdy. I'm reading a 少年マンガ so magic powers stuff is kinda inevitable :/

In this story BF protagonist guy is a hit man who can steal people's luck by touching them which causes the victim to die of some horrible freak accident. Now his baby is having all sorts of bad things happen to her on a regular basis.
He says;
「花凛ã¯æ˜Žã‚‰ã‹ã«ãŠã‹ã—ã„ã€
"Something is clearly wrong with Karin"
「風邪ã ã‘ã˜ã‚ƒã­ã‡ã€€ã—ょã£ã¡ã‚…ã†ä½•ã‹ãŒè½ã¡ã¦æ¥ãŸã‚Š ã¶ã¤ã‹ã£ãŸã‚Šãƒ»ãƒ»ãƒ»å°ã•ãªå‚·ã ã‚‰ã‘ã ã€
"It's not just a cold; something always falls on her or bumps into her... she's covered in little scrapes and bruises"
「ã¾ã‚‹ã§ãƒ»ãƒ»ãƒ»ã‚ªãƒ¬ã«é‹ã‚’奪ã‚ã‚ŒãŸå¾Œã¿ãŸã„ãªã“ã¨ã°ã‹ã‚Šç¶šãã€
The part in bold is where I have trouble. I know he's saying 'It's like she's had her luck stolen by me' but I can't quite put my finger on its entire meaning.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
æ°¸é ã®æ„›

02-01-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonerPenguin View Post
Okay, it's time to feel nerdy. I'm reading a 少年マンガ so magic powers stuff is kinda inevitable :/

In this story BF protagonist guy is a hit man who can steal people's luck by touching them which causes the victim to die of some horrible freak accident. Now his baby is having all sorts of bad things happen to her on a regular basis.
He says;
「花凛ã¯æ˜Žã‚‰ã‹ã«ãŠã‹ã—ã„ã€
"Something is clearly wrong with Karin"
「風邪ã ã‘ã˜ã‚ƒã­ã‡ã€€ã—ょã£ã¡ã‚…ã†ä½•ã‹ãŒè½ã¡ã¦æ¥ãŸã‚Š ã¶ã¤ã‹ã£ãŸã‚Šãƒ»ãƒ»ãƒ»å°ã•ãªå‚·ã ã‚‰ã‘ã ã€
"It's not just a cold; something always falls on her or bumps into her... she's covered in little scrapes and bruises"
「ã¾ã‚‹ã§ãƒ»ãƒ»ãƒ»ã‚ªãƒ¬ã«é‹ã‚’奪ã‚ã‚ŒãŸå¾Œã¿ãŸã„ãªã“ã¨ã°ã‹ã‚Šç¶šãã€
The part in bold is where I have trouble. I know he's saying 'It's like she's had her luck stolen by me' but I can't quite put my finger on its entire meaning.
You may be thinking too hard here. It is pretty straightforward unless the larger context proves what I'm going to say wrong.

"things continue to happen (to her)". Right?

Now what things? --> 「オレã«é‹ã‚’奪ã‚ã‚ŒãŸå¾Œã¿ãŸã„ãªã“ã¨ã°ã‹ã‚Šã€
---> "only the things that would happen (to someone) after his/her luck has been stolen by me".

"It's like only the bad things that happen to someone whose luck I have stolen keep happening to her."
(#6 (permalink))
Old
LaiJH (Offline)
New to JF

02-01-2011, 06:35 PM

hi, what's the meaning of 神崎 and 金崎, and how do you pronounce them?

thank you

Last edited by LaiJH : 02-01-2011 at 06:44 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MasterfuliMouto (Offline)
New to JF

02-01-2011, 06:59 PM

This might be hard to follow since nobody here will understand the context.
I hope that it can be translated as quick and to the best of the translators ability as possible.

Quote:
MGOver.1.36情報(今ã®ã¨ã“大ã—ãŸæƒ…å ±ã¯ç„¡ã—)先日ã®MGO ルーキーキャンプã§ã€Œ2月ã«ver.1.36ã«ã‚¢ãƒƒãƒ—デートã€ã¨ã® 告知ãŒã‚ã‚Šã¾ã—ãŸã€‚
「ãƒãƒ©ãƒ³ã‚¹ã®èª¿æ•´ã€ã¨ã€Œè‹¥å¹²ã®è¿½åŠ è¦ç´ ã€ãŒã‚るよã†ã§ ã™ã€‚

放é€ã®å†…容ã‹ã‚‰åˆ†ã‹ã‚‹ã“ã¨ã¯ã€
・全体的ã«è‹¥å¹²èµ°è¡Œé€Ÿåº¦ãŒä¸ŠãŒã‚‹
ã ã‘ã§ã€æ®‹å¿µãªãŒã‚‰ä»–ã«ã¯å…¨ã情報ãŒã‚ã‚Šã¾ã›ã‚“。
ãã“ã§ã€Œã“ã‚“ãªæƒ…報見ã‹ã‘ãŸãœï¼ã€ã¨ã‹ã€Œã“ã‚“ãªã®ãŒã‚ ã£ãŸã‚‰ã„ã„ãªã€ã¿ãŸã„ãªã®ã‚’気軽ã«æ›¸ã込んã˜ã‚ƒã£ã¦ã ã ã•ã„ï¼

ãã‚Œã«ã—ã¦ã‚‚本当ã¯ã‚‚ã£ã¨æ—©ãã«å‡ºæ¥ã‚‹ãƒãƒ¼ã‚¸ãƒ§ãƒ³ã‚¢ãƒƒ プã ã£ãŸã‚“ã§ã—ょã†ã‘ã©ã€ã‚¯ã‚½LSã®ã›ã„ã§ã“ã“ã¾ã§é…ãã ªã£ãŸã¨æ€ã†ã¨æ®‹å¿µã§ã™ã­ã€‚
I can actually understand quite a bit but run into a good amount of derailing kanji consistently within a single sentence. Thought it'd be better to seek assistance than to make educated guesses or study kanji, since many people are waiting for this translation and I don't want them to die of suspense in the mean time.

Thank you
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Ojamajoz (Offline)
New to JF

02-01-2011, 08:23 PM

Okay, so I asked someone a question on twitter on why he posts many pictures of his food. He says this:

載ã›ãŸã„ã‹ã‚‰ã§ã™ãŒ

I don't get what he means. I'm guessing "載ã›ã‚‹" means "to send out", but what does "載ã›ãŸã„" mean? Does that mean to not send out? Also, the next thing he says is "ã‹ã‚‰", which means "because" I think. Did he just not understand what I said or something? Is he saying something like "just because..."?

So I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me what this means. Thanks.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

02-01-2011, 09:12 PM

1. 載ã›ã‚‹ here means "to publish"
2. 〜ãŸã„ indicates "to want to [DO THE VERB]"
3. ã‹ã‚‰ is indeed "because"

"because I wanna publish them"

Or, to update it for the medium,

"because I wanna tweet them"

A brief lesson on 〜ãŸã„ form:
一段ã®å‹•è©žï¼š
食ã¹ã‚‹ãƒ¼ï¼žãŸã¹ï¼‹ãŸã„ー>食ã¹ãŸã„ "to want to eat"
変ãˆã‚‹ãƒ¼ï¼žã‹ãˆï¼‹ãŸã„ー>変ãˆãŸã„ "to want to change"

五段ã®å‹•è©ž:
飲むー>ã®ã¿ï¼‹ãŸã„ー>飲ã¿ãŸã„ "to want to drink"
帰るー>ã‹ãˆã‚Šï¼‹ãŸã„ー>帰りãŸã„ "to want to return [home]"

ã™ã‚‹ãƒ¼ï¼žã—ãŸã„ "to want to do"
æ¥ã‚‹ãƒ¼ï¼žæ¥ãŸã„ "to want to come"

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 02-01-2011 at 09:15 PM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
æ°¸é ã®æ„›

02-01-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaiJH View Post
hi, what's the meaning of 神崎 and 金崎, and how do you pronounce them?
That Japanese family names have meanings is mostly a myth. Most don't have a meaning that makes any sense. Each kanji used in a name, however, has a meaning.

神崎 is usually pronounced ã‹ã‚“ã–ã and there may be families where it's pronounced ã‹ã¿ã•ã or ã‹ã¿ã–ã.

金崎 is pronounced ã‹ã­ã•ã or ã‹ã­ã–ã.

Now meanings:
神 = God
å´Ž = a steep mountain path
金 = gold, money

This should explain my own first sentence above.

Last edited by masaegu : 08-24-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Closed Thread