JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
XOXkAWAIiXOX (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to XOXkAWAIiXOX
Type kanji for me? - 06-06-2009, 10:22 PM

I need to write 'I love you' in japanese however I can only type the roman alphabet on my computer, but I can copy and paste. Can somebody type it for me, please? Thank you.

Die Nacht ist kalt
Ich fahre allein
Wie'n Geisterfahrer
Um endlich bei dir zu sein...
(#2 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
06-06-2009, 10:46 PM

愛してる
or
(name)が大好き

Personally I'd go with the second one, if you give me a name I can do that part for you too (in katakana). The first one, as I've read, is too direct of an 'I love you' and something you don't hear very often. The second is 'I like you a lot' but you can pretty much construe that to be love (not as nitpicky as some english people can be, I like you a lot in a romantic way but I don't love you. Don't need to worry about that kinda distinction). In case you're wondering, they're pronounced with romaji:
ai shiteru
(name) ga daisuki
(#3 (permalink))
Old
XOXkAWAIiXOX (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-06-2009, 11:01 PM

Thank you very much. I have heard a lot about different ways to say 'I love you' or 'I like you'. This really confuses me. Probably beacause America and Japan(or english and japanese) are very different. Do you think you're able to clarify that for me?

Die Nacht ist kalt
Ich fahre allein
Wie'n Geisterfahrer
(#4 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

06-06-2009, 11:13 PM

Well what I've gleaned is that in Japanese it's generally a good idea to be not too direct about certain things, love especially. There is a thread if you use the search function where various people (including people who live/have lived in japan) give their opinion on how to deal with the subject.

Ai shiteru 愛してる Is a really really direct way to say 'I love you' and it's one of those things where japanese learners who read a lot of manga can (wrongly) assume it's common place to say it, when it really isn't. People can be put off by being so direct and forward about it, even in a long-lasting relationship.

I honestly wouldn't touch the phrase 愛してる before I'm married to someone. What I've seen to be more appropriate is using (name)が大好き (name) ga daisuki. It literally means something around 'I like (name) very much' or 'I love (name)'.

If you wanted to take it a step lower to the level of a crush, you could drop 大 and just say (name)が好き。 That means something like 'I like (name)' and if you were actually only just crushing on said person or hadn't dated the person yet I might say (and this is drawing on some vague memories so I wouldn't trust me on this suggestion very much) '(name)ことが好き' which (someone please confirm whether or not my thinking is right in this) would mean 'I like (name)' but you're making it known that you like the 'them' that you have in your head, which may or may not be an accurate reflection of their true personality.

Edit: Here's the thread I mentioned I love you(thread). You'd probably want to go ahead and read this.

Last edited by duo797 : 06-06-2009 at 11:16 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
XOXkAWAIiXOX (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-06-2009, 11:18 PM

Thank you again. I've also heard something about 'Daisuki' having something to do with that sort of area. Know anything about it?

Die Nacht ist kalt
Ich fahre allein
Wie'n Geisterfahrer
(#6 (permalink))
Old
XOXkAWAIiXOX (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-06-2009, 11:20 PM

oops! Sorry. That would be the second one.

So, thank you!

Die Nacht ist kalt
Ich fahre allein
Wie'n Geisterfahrer
(#7 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

06-07-2009, 11:23 AM

Be glad you're not learning Ancient Greek. There were at least five distinct words: agape, eros, philia, storge, and thelema: Greek words for love - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

06-07-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Be glad you're not learning Ancient Greek. There were at least five distinct words: agape, eros, philia, storge, and thelema: Greek words for love - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Be glad you're not learning ancient greek: There are like 9 forms for one noun. I had a friend who used to take Ancient Greek and he showed me his notes. It's ridiculous sometimes (mostly cause they were expected to do rote memorization on the forms of like 15 nouns for a quiz with little time to prepare).
(#9 (permalink))
Old
XOXkAWAIiXOX (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-07-2009, 04:58 PM

Since when were we talking about ancient greek?

Die Nacht ist kalt
Ich fahre allein
Wie'n Geisterfahrer
(#10 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-07-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XOXkAWAIiXOX View Post
Since when were we talking about ancient greek?
True it was a little out of your question...but I guess your question was very much answered and done with.

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ