JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   what is conservative and liberal in japanese? (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/26121-what-conservative-liberal-japanese.html)

osakaboi 06-27-2009 04:21 PM

what is conservative and liberal in japanese?

what is conservative and liberal in japanese?

KyleGoetz 06-28-2009 12:16 AM

Those words have about 100 meanings depending on which country you live in. Are you looking for the American definition of those two words?

For example, in the US, "conservative" and "liberal" are the equivalent of "really, really conservative" and "conservative" to Europeans.

osakaboi 06-28-2009 05:36 PM

yes us version is what i wanna know
onegaishimasu:)

KyleGoetz 06-28-2009 06:24 PM

osakaboi It's still not really translatable, now that I think about it. The two major types of conservatives in the US are (1) social and (2) fiscal (money).

For example, Ron Paul, a Republican from Texas, is a fiscal conservative. However, he's a social liberal because he believes in things like legalizing marijuana.

On the other hand Bush is a social conservative because he favors religious intervention in society, preventing gay marriage, etc.

Why don't you just tell us how you want to use the word. Just asking for "conservative" or "liberal" is very much asking for a poor translation.

But, in general, "textbook" translations (not indicating a specific political party) could be 保守的 (preserve+protect+adjective_suffix) for conservative and リベラル for liberal. An example sentence on Space ALC is
Quote:

彼は金銭に関しては保守的だが、政治についてはリベラ ルだ。
This translates to "He is fiscally conservative but politically liberal.

However, if you mean "conservative" as a synonym for Republican (which it technically is not), you'd go with 共和党 and for Democrat you'd say 民主党.

osakaboi 06-30-2009 04:52 PM

KyleGoetz, thanks a lot.
never knew that there are some liberals in republican too.
maybe because i rarely watch fox news.

burkhartdesu 06-30-2009 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by osakaboi (Post 740270)
KyleGoetz, thanks a lot.
never knew that there are some liberals in republican too.
maybe because i rarely watch fox news.

LOL!

No but seriously-- Ron Paul is the MAN! He's an old fashioned Lincoln type of Republican, if you ask me.

KyleGoetz 07-01-2009 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burkhartdesu (Post 740295)
LOL!

No but seriously-- Ron Paul is the MAN! He's an old fashioned Lincoln type of Republican, if you ask me.

Well, not quite. He's the representative from my former district, and I voted for him in the first election I was of age for. I will say he's an honorable man. However, I think his policies would fail terribly if put into practice. The lack of regulation is the chief cause of the current economic problems.

But whatever. This isn't the place for political debate! I'll stop now.

burkhartdesu 07-01-2009 07:41 PM

That's exactly what we need... More government. :rolleyes:

KyleGoetz 07-01-2009 10:54 PM

Externality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia