JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
jacobf (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to jacobf Send a message via MSN to jacobf Send a message via Yahoo to jacobf Send a message via Skype™ to jacobf
Question about 漢字 readings. - 07-07-2009, 12:54 AM

Hey guys, today I picked up a book in Barnes and Noble called, "250 Essential Japanese Kanji Characters: Volume 1" and I am enjoying it a lot so far, however there is a question I have for you guys.

When it is talking about the reading of the numbers, it has things like this:
futa-tsu, ni
ふた•つ、ニ
two

My question is what does the ____•つ part mean? It has it in the readings for every number except 十 and 百.

Thanks!

EDIT:
Picture of what I mean.

Last edited by jacobf : 07-07-2009 at 01:01 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nagareboshi (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Nagareboshi
07-07-2009, 01:11 AM

When 二 is by itself, it's pronounced "ni". In this example 二時 (niji-2 o'clock) the pronunciation is "ni". The second reading is pronounced "futa". When 二 is paired with the hiragana つ, it's pronounced "futatsu" 二つ. "Futatsu" is a counter for items.

I hope that helped.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
jacobf (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to jacobf Send a message via MSN to jacobf Send a message via Yahoo to jacobf Send a message via Skype™ to jacobf
07-07-2009, 01:25 AM

So, is it only attached to nouns that have counters? Or is the つ itself a counter? That is what is confusing me.

The book gives the example of two people, and it is 二人 (ふたり) and then the second (date); (for) two days, which is 二日 (ふつか)

I think it is called okurigana, the concept itself doesn't confuse me, but I don't understand why it is attached to these kanji.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nagareboshi (Offline)
New to JF

07-07-2009, 01:42 AM

二 by itself is the number 2. Adding つ makes it a generalized counter. The つ indicates what kind of item is being counted. There are other counters as well; the counter ひき is used when counting animals. まい is used for flat objects. There are a variety of other counters too.

As for why it's attached to those kanji-二 indicates how many, and the 2nd kanji indicates how many of a particular object. Example- 二人. The 2nd kanji indicates people, while the 1st kanji indicates how many people.

Last edited by Nagareboshi : 07-07-2009 at 01:48 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
jacobf (Offline)
JF Regular

07-07-2009, 01:45 AM

Ah, I think I understand now. ^_^
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nagareboshi (Offline)
New to JF

07-07-2009, 01:47 AM

Ah, that's good. I'm glad my explanation wasn't too confusing.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

07-07-2009, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobf View Post
So, is it only attached to nouns that have counters? Or is the つ itself a counter? That is what is confusing me.

The book gives the example of two people, and it is 二人 (ふたり) and then the second (date); (for) two days, which is 二日 (ふつか)

I think it is called okurigana, the concept itself doesn't confuse me, but I don't understand why it is attached to these kanji.
つ is a counter but even us native speakers often forget it's a counter because it's different from all the other counters in its nature and usage.

First, let me surprise you by telling how I learned to count from 1 to 10. This was when I was 2 or 3. Ready?

ひとつ、ふたつ、みっつ、よっつ、いつつ、むっつ、な なつ、やっつ、ここのつ、and とお.

Did this shock you? Hope it did. That is how the Japanese counted before we encountered the Chinese. We still often use this system to count to 10. Now when I entered kindergarten at age 4, I learned another system. This one won't surprise you.

いち、に、さん、し、ご、ろく、しち、はち、く、and じゅう. Boring because it sounds familiar, isn't it?

So, つ is the almighty counter but it can only be used with numbers 1 thru 9. That is why we need other counters and others are difficult to learn because none of them are as almighty as the つ.

That we already had ひとつ、ふたつ、みっつ, etc. before encountering the Chinese means that these are original Japanese words. Therefore, a kanji compound like 二人 is merely a substitute. Even now many better writers write ふたり in kana. If I were a Japanese teacher, I would not teach you to write it in kanji, either. No one even knows what part of the word ふたり is the reading of the 二 or the 人.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
jacobf (Offline)
JF Regular

07-07-2009, 02:26 AM

Nagoyankee, thank you for that marvelous explanation, and especially that interesting tidbit about how you learned to count. It is very helpful in allowing me to understand the concept better!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Khengi (Offline)
JF Regular

07-07-2009, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
No one even knows what part of the word ふたり is the reading of the 二 or the 人.
THAT is highly interesting, I thought it was just me.

---------------------------
I offer free Japanese lessons on my home site here!

[Note: I am proficient in the language (even proficient enough to get hired at a university for teaching), but do not look to me before a native or someone more proficient, like Nagoyankee]
(#10 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

07-07-2009, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobf View Post
Nagoyankee, thank you for that marvelous explanation, and especially that interesting tidbit about how you learned to count. It is very helpful in allowing me to understand the concept better!
つ is the counter for the Japanese numbering system.

The Japanese numbering system still in use today goes up to 10 (とお). 10 does not have a counter. Beyond that, it falls apart badly. 20 - 90 uses ち・ぢ instead of つ.

E.g. 10 とお、20 はたち、30 みそぢ、40 よそ ぢ、50 いそぢ、60 むそぢ、70 ななそぢ、8 0 やそぢ、90 ここのそぢ

100, 1000, 10000 all do not have a counter.
100   もも
1000  ち
10000 よろづ

Also, after each unit of number, you have to put あまり or まり to segregate the numbers.

E.g. 35 - みそまりいつつ, 2009 - ふたちまりここのつ, 421 - よほまりはたちまりひとつ

99,999 ここのよろづまりここのちまりここのほまりここのそぢ まりここのつ is as big as Japanese numbers can go before they hopped on the Chinese bandwagon.

It's not hard to see why they needed a new numbering system.

Last edited by kirakira : 07-07-2009 at 04:05 AM.