JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
freegreatcharter (Offline)
JF Regular

talk about a political cultural(?)topic - 07-10-2009, 08:05 AM

are there other countries like japan and china which likes changing the name of a place,despite the city’s scale,even the small county where i live has been renamed
in china,it seems that every time the state political power changes,the place name will be changed to not look like its ex-name
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-10-2009, 03:02 PM

Pretty much every place has done this. New York City was once called New Amsterdam, but when the Dutch lost control, the name changed.

Istanbul in Turkey was once Constantinople. Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam was renamed from Saigon after the Vietnam War.

Take a look at a ton of African country names, too. For example, DR Congo was once called Zaire until it ousted Mobutu.

I could go on, but this whole thread is off-topic.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
07-10-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freegreatcharter View Post
are there other countries like japan and china which likes changing the name of a place,despite the city’s scale,even the small county where i live has been renamed
in china,it seems that every time the state political power changes,the place name will be changed to not look like its ex-name
I was aware of this in China, but not so much in Japan. Changing street names in U.S. cities for political reasons is fairly common. Usually its a name whose history has been lost and it is renamed to honor someone. But I don't recall any U.S. cities changing names since the mid-1800s, except if a part of a city separates to form their own city. Such as Monroe, LA dividing into Monroe and West Monroe.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
freegreatcharter (Offline)
JF Regular

07-10-2009, 05:19 PM

i means it in china has much more times than other places,extremely important big cities,almost every dynasty its name will be changed,such china's capital beijing(北京),former names are 燕(yan),幽州(youzhou),大都(dadu),北平(beiping),顺天府(shuntianfu)
nanjing(南京): profile from net,surprising!44 former names!!!!!!!!!!
南京的44个曾用名
1、先秦时期:越城、范蠡城、金陵邑、秣陵县
2、秦汉时期:秣陵、宣亭县、石头城
3、六朝时期:建业、建邺、建康
4、隋唐时期:怀德县、费县、蒋州、江宁、归化
5、五代十国时期:金陵、白下、江宁郡、升州、上元、 州大都督府、江宁县、金陵府、西都、江宁府
6、宋元时期:江南东路、建康府、建康路、集庆路、应 府
7、明清时期:京师、行在、陪都、南明、江南省、江南 布政使司、江宁布政使、天京、南京府、金陵道
8、民国时期:南京、南京市政厅、南京特别市、首都特 市
(#5 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-10-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
I was aware of this in China, but not so much in Japan. Changing street names in U.S. cities for political reasons is fairly common. Usually its a name whose history has been lost and it is renamed to honor someone. But I don't recall any U.S. cities changing names since the mid-1800s, except if a part of a city separates to form their own city. Such as Monroe, LA dividing into Monroe and West Monroe.
I know Tokyo and I think Nagoya have both changed their names. Tokyo was once called 江戸 and Nagoya was once called 中京 (not sure if this one was an official name or a nickname, though). Kyoto has changed its name from 平安京 to 京 to 京の都 before changing its name in the 11th century to 京都. After Tokyo became the capital, it was also called 西京 for a time. I think each name change was near some government change.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
07-10-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
I know Tokyo and I think Nagoya have both changed their names. Tokyo was once called 江戸 and Nagoya was once called 中京 (not sure if this one was an official name or a nickname, though). Kyoto has changed its name from 平安京 to 京 to 京の都 before changing its name in the 11th century to 京都. After Tokyo became the capital, it was also called 西京 for a time. I think each name change was near some government change.
True, they were following major revolutions. That is to be somewhat expected when the name and location are so closely associated with teh overthrown government.

Its like most of my generation knowing Volvograd, Russia as Stalingrad, though for almost 4 centuries before it was Tsaritsyn. It was only Stalingrad for 36 years.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.