JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
freegreatcharter (Offline)
JF Regular

a pronunciation question - 07-10-2009, 09:22 AM

in which situation,the latter kana is not read as long vowel
i only know when it‘s a verb do so such as 思う(おもう)
others i am not definit,such as ようにです 書こう 食べよう
and people in this forum seem to can speak one or more foreign languages,are people here of high diploma?

and,i think japanese is gentle,mild,melodious,tuneful,musical,womanly,i think there might be no language as pleasant to the ear as japanese,is it?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-10-2009, 03:10 PM

We had this discussion on sci.lang.japan about a month or two ago. The consensus basically was that at the end of verbs in dictionary form (通う, not pronounced with an elongated vowel, e.g.) and when the お and う are divided up between two concepts (say, if there is a word 小ウナギ, which I don't think there is), you pronounce it not as a long vowel. However, in something like 東京, you twice pronounce an elongated お.

Of course, I never ever paid attention to such things because I didn't realize/hear the distinction the entire time I lived in Japan. However, I now realize it but it may be too late to change my accent.

And as for degrees, I have a BS in math, a BA in Japanese, and a doctorate in jurisprudence.

I agree with you about Japanese that it is pleasant. But I think French sounds even more pleasant. I think Cantonese sounds like fighting all the time
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nagareboshi (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Nagareboshi
07-10-2009, 03:23 PM

When the verb is in the dictionary form, there's no long vowel at the end. However, when verbs are in the volitional form there is a long vowel at the end. 食べよう、書こう are examples of volitional verbs in the casual/short form. You would use a volitional verb to suggest a plan of action.

昼ご飯を食べよう "Let's eat lunch".

手紙を書こう "Let's write a letter".

Here are the same examples in the polite form:

昼ご飯を食べましょう

手紙を書きましょう

Last edited by Nagareboshi : 07-10-2009 at 04:17 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
freegreatcharter (Offline)
JF Regular

07-10-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post

And as for degrees, I have a BS in math, a BA in Japanese, and a doctorate in jurisprudence.

I agree with you about Japanese that it is pleasant. But I think French sounds even more pleasant. I think Cantonese sounds like fighting all the time
how many years did you spend in schools?you are of so many high diplomas!you must have a good job with good pay
and for cantonese,i hate it,because many cantonese-speakers discriminate non-southeastern chinese,and regard cantonese as orthodox(pah!)
(#5 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-10-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freegreatcharter View Post
how many years did you spend in schools?you are of so many high diplomas!you must have a good job with good pay
and for cantonese,i hate it,because many cantonese-speakers discriminate non-southeastern chinese,and regard cantonese as orthodox(pah!)
I'm 25, just graduated, and start work in August. I took a job with decent pay but high job security.

As for Cantonese being orthodox, that's funny. Cantonese people invent new hanzi! That's not very orthodox.

Back on topic, Nagareboshi provides some elaboration on what I said, giving more examples and, thus, explaining it better.