LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-11-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogozhin View Post
A direct translation might sound kind of strange so while my translation may not be word for word, I think it sounds more natural this way. Using keigo here seems weird to me.

大切(たいせつ)なものを守(まも)れ、諦(あきら) めるな、逃(に)げるな。
自分(じぶん)を信(しん)じて、仲間(なかま)も信 (しん)じろ。
堂々(どうどう)と毎日(まいにち)を過(す)ごせ。

The last line translates to "live everyday grandly".

I'll leave it to the better versed to see whether it sounds natural or not.
Your translation is great!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#12 (permalink))
Old
girigiri (Offline)
JF Regular

07-11-2009, 02:56 PM

Would 誇らしげにずっと振る舞え work for "always live proudly" - I think the grammar is OK: proudly, always conduct oneself.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
mysteryman (Offline)
JF Regular

07-11-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogozhin View Post
A direct translation might sound kind of strange so while my translation may not be word for word, I think it sounds more natural this way. Using keigo here seems weird to me.

大切(たいせつ)なものを守(まも)れ、諦(あきら) めるな、逃(に)げるな。
自分(じぶん)を信(しん)じて、仲間(なかま)も信 (しん)じろ。
堂々(どうどう)と毎日(まいにち)を過(す)ごせ。

The last line translates to "live everyday grandly".

I'll leave it to the better versed to see whether it sounds natural or not.
Why are some words written in ( ) ?
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

07-11-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryman View Post
Why are some words written in ( ) ?
This question disappoints me. It shows that you don't really read or write Japanese. He is showing the pronunciations of the kanji words in case you can't read them.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
mysteryman (Offline)
JF Regular

07-11-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
This question disappoints me. It shows that you don't really read or write Japanese. He is showing the pronunciations of the kanji words in case you can't read them.
And your reply disappoints me.
I joined this forum to learn , why do you keep critisizing me for not knowing?
(#16 (permalink))
Old
kenshiromusou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-11-2009, 04:21 PM

Nagoyankee is always helping whoever needs a hand here, mysteryman.
Please give a look at here Japanese Language Resources for to improve your knowledge about japanese alphabets.

俺はそのラオウを殪した男です。
(#17 (permalink))
Old
mysteryman (Offline)
JF Regular

07-11-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshiromusou View Post
Nagoyankee is always helping whoever needs a hand here, mysteryman.
Please give a look at here Japanese Language Resources for to improve your knowledge about japanese alphabets.
I never said he doesn't help , but the first reply I got from him was critisizm for not knowing japanese kanji/hirigana, which I never even mentioned in this thread to know and I specifically mentioned once before that I am trying to learn it which is one of the reasons I came to this forum obviously.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
snbzk (Offline)
JF Regular

07-11-2009, 07:44 PM

You should look back at what KyleGoetz said to you if you're surprised by Nagoyankee's reaction.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-11-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesselt View Post
Unless I'm missing something the OP asked for a translation into Japanese, but I don't see any Japanese on this page... What's with all the Romaji?
The background story has not met the interestingness threshold for me to do an independent translation, so I only corrected someone else's mistakes in the romaji the person used initially.

I think my standards are something like: if OP makes an attempt, I will help. If OP does not make an attempt, I will sigh and be lazy (and occasionally accuse the person of being almost racist for objectifying a culture!).
(#20 (permalink))
Old
girigiri (Offline)
JF Regular

07-12-2009, 02:59 AM

I recall a couple of bus-drivers of my acquaintance complaining about some foreigners who couldn't understand enough English to buy a ticket. When I asked where they had picked the people up, they told me that the people were from an international language school. I said something along the lines of - It isn't as though they've spent 5 years here without bothering to pick up the rudiments - you're complaining because people who come here for the purpose of learning the basics don't don't yet know the basics. Can we have some logic here please?

I met only one person in Japan who reacted to my lack of knowledge of Japanese in the same way. ざんねん - roughly $1000 was spent in a competing shop, where one particular assistant went out of his way to help; despite my deplorable grammar and limited vocabulary.

Trying to learn on language sites will (almost) always come at a price, MysteryMan: You'll have to put up with some of your teachers' self aggrandisement.
Closed Thread