JapanForum.com  

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-12-2009, 03:22 AM

Self-aggrandizement my bum. The guy comes here asking for a translation for something moderately complex when he doesn't even speak the language.

He didn't ask for help translating something he's using. I mean, since he doesn't seem to know any Japanese at all, he's just asking for something to be translated "because Japanese is like so cool looking man."

That kind of attitude I cannot tolerate.

And he clearly didn't come here for the basics! 11 posts, and not a single one asking for any help except for this one. I don't sense sincerity. No questions about grammar, vocabulary, or anything. Just "hey, translate this please. Not because I want to understand grammar or vocab better, but just because I want to use it for something." (Probably to be cool and put in his sig on some anime forum, to get a tattoo, to put as a wallpaper so his friends will ask him what it means and comment on how cool he is, or something like that. I've had friends ask me to check something in Japanese for them, and when I correct them, they blow me off and say my corrections don't look cool enough, so they just go with what they originally had—disrespectful to the language!)

When I started learning, I downloaded kanji PDFs (well, I don't know if PDFs even existed back then, maybe JPGs), bought books (with my birthday money because I was too young for a job and didn't get an allowance), and studied in a small town without a single Japanese person to speak with all through high school. If my family made a three hour road trip to a city big enough to have a shop with Japanese goods, I'd use my birthday money to buy a few $5 manga and then I'd spend all my free time trying to translate them with a free copy of EDICT I downloaded back in the DOS/Win 3.1 days.

It's not self-aggrandizement so much as it is us balking at a lack of sincerity in the desire to learn the langauge. It's obvious Nagoyankee has worked hard to attain his knowledge of English (I've witnessed the weak English education in Japan (read this passage aloud in class, please) and it's amazing how well he and YuriTokoro speak the language—I'd never guess he's not a native and I think it would take me a long while to pick up on YuriTokoro not being a native). I know I've worked hard, too.

When we see insincerity, it's like Yoda watching Luke run away to Bespin instead of remaining on Dagobah to work hard. (Minus the heroism of trying to save his friends.)

Now, mysteryman, this post really wasn't targeted at you even though it seems to. But methinks girigiri is a bit too quick to read malice into the actions of others.

tl;dr Mysteryman has demonstrated no desire to learn. The only thing regarding Japanese he's talked about is "can you translate this for me?" That's it. It's nothing like the bus driver scenario.

But, to be fair, at least he's not posting misinformation. (I'm ashamed to bring back up that I've done that once here.)

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 07-12-2009 at 03:27 AM.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
kenshiromusou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-12-2009, 03:40 AM

In despite of content, that analogy of SW was hilarious.

俺はそのラオウを殪した男です。
(#23 (permalink))
Old
girigiri (Offline)
JF Regular

07-12-2009, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Mysteryman has demonstrated no desire to learn.
The choice of pseudonym might be cause for suspicion, so I too checked the other posts.

No desire to learn demonstrated - agreed - but - No desire to connect??

Quote:
The guy comes here asking for a translation for something moderately complex when he doesn't even speak the language.
Does he know enough to know that they are moderately complex? First face appearances, they don't seem so hard. It's only when I got down to actually trying to translate those phrases that I realised they aren't so simple.

Quote:
Self-aggrandizement my bum.
On this occasion, with regard to the individual in question - even if my comment does not apply here, is it possible to really claim that it is invalid? To date, I have yet to encounter a site where someone (or more) knowledgeable won't be out to points score: even to the point of giving false information, or trying to make it seem that someone (or more) has posted misleading/incorrect information when in fact nothing of sort had been done.

Quote:
When we see insincerity, it's like Yoda watching Luke run away to Bespin instead of remaining on Dagobah
Interesting analogy ... Do you really see yourselves as equivalent to Jedi masters?

EDIT: Even if in the final analysis it should prove that MysteryMan is only playing games, what impact do such responses as he received have on newcomers who do come to the site seeking assistance?

Last edited by girigiri : 07-12-2009 at 05:07 AM.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

Nagoyankee - 07-12-2009, 10:39 AM

I don't wish to take sides here but Nagoyankee's input and help to all that ask on this forum is simply the most generous thing.

If Nagoyankee was running a translation business, all the work he has done here would have made him a very wealthy man by now.

Mysteryman: your user name doesn't help your cause, but please read posts carefully before you start complaining. Nagoyankee puts a lot of effort and thought into helping users in regards to what he reads, so please do not jump the gun and "presume" anything else without reasonable cause, and please show some consideration. Alos remember that slight miscalculations in language exchange can often be the cause of slight confusion, although no harm is often meant.

I'm not a mdoerator here, but clearly you are taking things the wrong way.

Cheers - Oz
(#25 (permalink))
Old
mysteryman (Offline)
JF Regular

07-12-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Self-aggrandizement my bum. The guy comes here asking for a translation for something moderately complex when he doesn't even speak the language.

He didn't ask for help translating something he's using. I mean, since he doesn't seem to know any Japanese at all, he's just asking for something to be translated "because Japanese is like so cool looking man."

That kind of attitude I cannot tolerate.

QUOTE --

Hey Im learning! Don't be so hasty

Besides I know most of these words but don't know how to put them exactly and also which way to use them.
/QUOTE

Quote:
And he clearly didn't come here for the basics! 11 posts, and not a single one asking for any help except for this one. I don't sense sincerity. No questions about grammar, vocabulary, or anything. Just "hey, translate this please. Not because I want to understand grammar or vocab better
Quote:
tl;dr Mysteryman has demonstrated no desire to learn. The only thing regarding Japanese he's talked about is "can you translate this for me?" That's it. It's nothing like the bus driver scenario.

People people , I wanna meet some.

Quote:
(Probably to be cool and put in his sig on some anime forum, to get a tattoo, to put as a wallpaper so his friends will ask him what it means and comment on how cool he is, or something like that. I've had friends ask me to check something in Japanese for them, and when I correct them, they blow me off and say my corrections don't look cool enough, so they just go with what they originally had—disrespectful to the language!)

Why do you keep assuming things about people if you don't know them?

Quote:
When I started learning, I downloaded kanji PDFs (well, I don't know if PDFs even existed back then, maybe JPGs), bought books (with my birthday money because I was too young for a job and didn't get an allowance), and studied in a small town without a single Japanese person to speak with all through high school. If my family made a three hour road trip to a city big enough to have a shop with Japanese goods, I'd use my birthday money to buy a few $5 manga and then I'd spend all my free time trying to translate them with a free copy of EDICT I downloaded back in the DOS/Win 3.1 days.

It's not self-aggrandizement so much as it is us balking at a lack of sincerity in the desire to learn the langauge. It's obvious Nagoyankee has worked hard to attain his knowledge of English (I've witnessed the weak English education in Japan (read this passage aloud in class, please) and it's amazing how well he and YuriTokoro speak the language—I'd never guess he's not a native and I think it would take me a long while to pick up on YuriTokoro not being a native). I know I've worked hard, too.

When we see insincerity, it's like Yoda watching Luke run away to Bespin instead of remaining on Dagobah to work hard. (Minus the heroism of trying to save his friends.)

Good for you , but if you really did then you should support someone who wants to learn the language even more so.
Why would I join this forum if I didn't want to learn?
I have already STATED and I repeat I have STATED before to you in this topic that I want to learn , yet I still got critisizm after that for not knowing kanji or hirigana which I never even said I knew the slightest , I don't.
Im going to be honest , ive came here to learn and also to join this fine community to meet some japanese and other people but ...
instead of what I expected , for the people to be nice and supportive I get attacked from some people and now I am quite disappointed in this.
I understand why some people might assume that I just want to have this translated to have a "cool" sentence without wanting to learn japanese and you have already stated that in this topic.
But after that I clearly explained how things are yet I was still critisized for not knowing something ive never said I know.

There is nothing to be gained by leaving this thread open.
-MMM

Last edited by MMM : 07-12-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Closed Thread