JapanForum.com  

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
2rri (Offline)
New to JF

Getting a Kanji tattoo. - 07-13-2009, 10:14 PM

Hi! I'm planning on getting a tattoo written in Kanji. I was hoping that I could get some help to verify the signs, as it would suck if I get it wrong.
The tattoo is going to say 'to the stars', it's a part of the latin phrase 'ad astra per aspera' (to the stars through difficulties). The signs I got from an online translator is 星に. Is it wrong? Or did I get it right?

Thanks in advance!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-13-2009, 10:21 PM

It's Monday, so I guess we are due for another round of "bad tattoo ideas."

Actually this is far from the worst idea I have seen.

星へ

is the phrase I would use. The problem is, though, it doesn't really mean anything in japanese...at least not as much as in English.

"To the stars" has meaning in English but 星へ looks like an incomplete sentence (or in this case tattoo).

If I wanted this for a tattoo, I would probably stick with the Latin.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-13-2009, 10:30 PM

Something seems a little assbackwards when you want to get a latin phrase tattoo'd in Chinese script.

KANJI TATTOOS ARE BAD. ALWAYS.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
2rri (Offline)
New to JF

07-13-2009, 10:31 PM

Thank you!

I really want to have it in Kanji (or Katakana/hiragana for that matter) as there is a lot that I admire about Japan and its culture, if you look. If it's not too much trouble, how would the whole phrase look?

Quote:
'ad astra per aspera' (to the stars through difficulties).
(#5 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-13-2009, 10:34 PM

If you truly admired Japan and it's culture you wouldn't get a Kanji tattoo.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
2rri (Offline)
New to JF

07-13-2009, 10:36 PM

@burkhartdesu:
If you don't like the idea I don't see the reason for you posting in this thread. You've made your point.

Last edited by 2rri : 07-13-2009 at 10:44 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-13-2009, 10:43 PM

There are two "official" translations. Normally I wouldn't do this, but because there are official translations I will give you those:

困難を切り抜けて星まで

or

困難を克服して星を目指そう
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nathan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-13-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rri View Post
Thank you!

I really want to have it in Kanji (or Katakana/hiragana for that matter) as there is a lot that I admire about Japan and its culture, if you look. If it's not too much trouble, how would the whole phrase look?
If you think about it, how is it admiring the Japanese culture to get a phrase from a 3rd party language translated into Japanese?

This is a very bad idea, pure and simple. If you're dead set on it, go research an appropriate Japanese proverb.

As is, you are coming off as someone who wants it in Kanji simply because it would 'look cool.'
(#9 (permalink))
Old
2rri (Offline)
New to JF

07-13-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
As is, you are coming off as someone who wants it in Kanji simply because it would 'look cool.'
I was told that Kanji would be the best way to write this. Therefore I asked about the Kanji translation.

Thank you MMM for your help, much appreciated! But I can see that I'm not the first to ask for this kind of assistance and that it's not that welcome anymore, so I'll just silently take my leave.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-13-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rri View Post
I was told that Kanji would be the best way to write this. Therefore I asked about the Kanji translation.

Thank you MMM for your help, much appreciated! But I can see that I'm not the first to ask for this kind of assistance and that it's not that welcome anymore, so I'll just silently take my leave.
Just curious, who told you kanji was the best way to write this?

I think your welcome here was not warm, and it is partially my fault, but your suspicions are correct, and kanji tattoo advice is commonly requested here. Some requesters are more sincere than others. I hope you will excuse the attack dogs.
Closed Thread