JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   Youkoso text book (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/26719-youkoso-text-book.html)

Aota 07-23-2009 02:49 PM

Youkoso text book

Taking Japanese in college during the Winter minimester. And, I already purchased my book so that I wouldn't have to worry about that. Anyway...

Point is... Has anyone heard of the textbook Yookoso? And if so, is it any good?

Thank you.

MMM 07-23-2009 04:45 PM

You should know by now not to title threads "Hey".

I taught Youkoso for several years, and I think it is an alright book. I have seen worse.

KyleGoetz 07-24-2009 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aota (Post 751300)
Taking Japanese in college during the Winter minimester. And, I already purchased my book so that I wouldn't have to worry about that. Anyway...

Point is... Has anyone heard of the textbook Yookoso? And if so, is it any good?

Thank you.

I used Yookoso for four semesters and turned out fine. I and my fellow classmates from my Stateside university tested higher when we went abroad than the students from schools that were using Minna, Genki, and such, for what it's worth. However, I credit that more with our superior teachers than superior textbooks.

ACW 08-04-2009 10:10 PM

It was good in the beginning but as we moved on it was getting pretty difficult. Explanations were on Japanese conversation were very short and confusing sometimes. Your going to hate informal Japanese hehe

Aota 08-05-2009 07:15 AM

Yea, my bad on that, MMM. I guess I was a little tired when I posted this thread.

And, I read through on the first few chapters, and I then stumbled upon hirigana. And, I'm not gonna lie. I almost short circuited from that. I've never been taught hirigana, or kanji for that matter. All I, regretfully, know is romaji. Which isn't exactly bragging rights.

I hope I'll have enough basic knowledge for my four week trip over to Japan in a few years. :\

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

KyleGoetz 08-05-2009 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aota (Post 756841)
Yea, my bad on that, MMM. I guess I was a little tired when I posted this thread.

And, I read through on the first few chapters, and I then stumbled upon hirigana. And, I'm not gonna lie. I almost short circuited from that. I've never been taught hirigana, or kanji for that matter. All I, regretfully, know is romaji. Which isn't exactly bragging rights.

I hope I'll have enough basic knowledge for my four week trip over to Japan in a few years. :\

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

You can learn hiragana in a day if you actually sit down for a few hours and practice. The same goes for katakana.

If a book teaches Japanese using romaji, it is a 100% shit* book. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

*Pardon my French.

filiadragongurl 08-05-2009 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleGoetz (Post 757006)
If a book teaches Japanese using romaji, it is a 100% shit* book. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

*Pardon my French.

I really can't agree with you there. In college, I was taught using Professor Jordan and Mari Noda's "Japanese: The Spoken Language" which was written entirely using romaji... of course we learned our written Japanese from the same authors' "Japanese: The Written Language". And students from our school were known to speak Japanese much better than those who used books like Genki. I will admit that I'm not very good at writing because of it, but I have to say that it taught us grammer well and it was only because our classes weren't focused on writing that I ended up not being good at writing.

In any case, I just don't think blanket statements like that are accurate. I'll just assume you were talking about the phrase books that don't teach you much of anything... >.>

MMM 08-05-2009 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by filiadragongurl (Post 757016)
I really can't agree with you there. In college, I was taught using Professor Jordan and Mari Noda's "Japanese: The Spoken Language" which was written entirely using romaji... of course we learned our written Japanese from the same authors' "Japanese: The Written Language". And students from our school were known to speak Japanese much better than those who used books like Genki. I will admit that I'm not very good at writing because of it, but I have to say that it taught us grammer well and it was only because our classes weren't focused on writing that I ended up not being good at writing.

In any case, I just don't think blanket statements like that are accurate. I'll just assume you were talking about the phrase books that don't teach you much of anything... >.>

I have to agree there. I used the same books to learn Japanese the first two years of study.

ThaDuke 08-05-2009 06:58 PM

What is Romaji? It seems like I should know this..

filiadragongurl 08-05-2009 07:03 PM

romaji is Japanese written out using the 26 alphabetical letters instead of Japanese characters. For Example: "konnichiwa"

By the way, in your sig, you've used the actual "wa" character in "konnichiwa" when it should really be the character for "ha". Same goes for the "wa" after "watashi". So really it's "konnichiha watashi ha..."

Edit: I just want to clarify to ThaDuke that you have it phonetically correct. It's just that some of those "wa"s should be the particle "wa" (which is the same as the character for "ha").