JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   Japanese Symbols. (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/27083-japanese-symbols.html)

Yuusuke 08-11-2009 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by komitsuki (Post 759338)
Do something very original. Get an Arabic or Sanskrit tattoo.

how is that original?

I've seen that a lot here.

MMM 08-11-2009 09:48 PM

Obviously you know each other, but that is neither here nor there...

Keep in mind, if you choose to use both, it can change the meaning from their individual meanings.

Also, whether it matters, 力 is not literally only "strength" but means power, facilities, energy, and a host of similar words.

Nathan 08-11-2009 09:50 PM

The main problems people have are:

- There have been several posts in the past about "What is the kanji for 'X' so I can get a tattoo of it". Almost as many as the one-shot 'what does X mean' posts, who never return to thank those who helped.

- Its hard to get a kanji tattoo done correctly. You may go in asking for one thing, but unless the artist fully understand the kanji (in both meaning and in the caligraphy of it) the chances of you getting exactly what you were going for are slim. **Edit: MMM's post(s) above really point this out

- Last of all, some people do look at it as an insult to the language. Kind of 'objectifying' it, since you only know what it means because someone else told you.

xneehux 08-11-2009 09:50 PM

Yep i know all the meanings. But i did just want love and then strength underneath it , but you said it would mean powerful love?

I didnt ask for anyone to defend me, i showed her the page and peoples opinions and she didnt like them. Thats it really

xneehux 08-11-2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 759365)
The main problems people have are:

- There have been several posts in the past about "What is the kanji for 'X' so I can get a tattoo of it". Almost as many as the one-shot 'what does X mean' posts, who never return to thank those who helped.

- Its hard to get a kanji tattoo done correctly. You may go in asking for one thing, but unless the artist fully understand the kanji (in both meaning and in the caligraphy of it) the chances of you getting exactly what you were going for are slim. **Edit: MMM's post(s) above really point this out

- Last of all, some people do look at it as an insult to the language. Kind of 'objectifying' it, since you only know what it means because someone else told you.

Thats why im on here, if i wanted i could have gone and got it done today without full knowledge of what it actually means. And who said i wouldnt thank anyone? I've already thanked someone who helped me , and i will thank the next person who helps me. I knew what i wanted from the start, I just didnt want a sentence so a symbol was perfect.

komitsuki 08-11-2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuusuke (Post 759363)
how is that original?

I've seen that a lot here.

Not in Canada.

MMM 08-11-2009 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xneehux (Post 759366)
Yep i know all the meanings. But i did just want love and then strength underneath it , but you said it would mean powerful love?

More like "love power" but it is a "forced combination" and not an actual word, so it would look...unnatural together.

Chintuuu is a she? Her language made me assume otherwise.

Yuusuke 08-11-2009 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by komitsuki (Post 759368)
Not in Canada.

oh well you canadians are missing out

xneehux 08-11-2009 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 759369)
More like "love power" but it is a "forced combination" and not an actual word, so it would look...unnatural together.

Oh i know what you mean, i orginially wanted "love" with strength underneath it but i didnt know it can become that. :o

Nathan 08-11-2009 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xneehux (Post 759367)
Thats why im on here, if i wanted i could have gone and got it done today without full knowledge of what it actually means. And who said i wouldnt thank anyone? I've already thanked someone who helped me , and i will thank the next person who helps me. I knew what i wanted from the start, I just didnt want a sentence so a symbol was perfect.

I didn't say you specifically, I was just pointing out why this is a touchy subject.

I still put a lot of stress on the artists. You may fully understand it, but if they don't, they might get a stroke wrong unless you have drawn it out exactly as you want it, and have them copy it perfectly. Even then, its not guaranteed.

Edit:

Quote:

Not in Canada.
Yeah, most tattoos I've seen in Saskatoon and Calgary have been the usual lower back/arm tribal tattoos. Scripts in general don't appear to be popular.

Edit 2: Better English!