JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   Writing Vertically ; Japanese (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/27515-writing-vertically-%3B-japanese.html)

Orochitachi 09-03-2009 03:42 AM

Writing Vertically ; Japanese

Does anyone know how to write vertically with Japanese characters(Kana) in microsft word of notepad?

Is there a special word application to do this? Can it be done?

KyleGoetz 09-03-2009 03:51 AM

Tategaki (Vertical Text) - PC Tips for Teachers and Students of Japanese Language - Nihongo Memo

In Japanese: 縦書き

To point out: It took no special Japanese knowledge to find this answer. Sometimes you just have to use Google for yourself.

Orochitachi 09-03-2009 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleGoetz (Post 767588)
Tategaki (Vertical Text) - PC Tips for Teachers and Students of Japanese Language - Nihongo Memo

In Japanese: 縦書き

To point out: It took no special Japanese knowledge to find this answer. Sometimes you just have to use Google for yourself.

Yeah.... Arigato!

Orochitachi 09-03-2009 04:33 AM

Ps.. I typed vertically and did a translation using google and it turned out that what I typed was totally not what was translated. So ps...don't use google translate people , it's not good.

KyleGoetz 09-03-2009 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orochitachi (Post 767596)
Ps.. I typed vertically and did a translation using google and it turned out that what I typed was totally not what was translated. So ps...don't use google translate people , it's not good.

Machine translation is never good. That is why people pay translators like MMM for their brains. Their soft, delicious, purple brainzzzzzzzzzz

IcewindDude 09-11-2009 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleGoetz (Post 767601)
Machine translation is never good. That is why people pay translators like MMM for their brains. Their soft, delicious, purple brainzzzzzzzzzz

Accurate machine translation into English is a lot better now than it was only 5 years ago (I especially noticed this in Japanese, but still improving in closer related languages). It's only a matter of time until machines can accurately translate typed language without a person being able to tell the difference.

MMM 09-11-2009 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IcewindDude (Post 770119)
Accurate machine translation into English is a lot better now than it was only 5 years ago (I especially noticed this in Japanese, but still improving in closer related languages). It's only a matter of time until machines can accurately translate typed language without a person being able to tell the difference.

In Japanese? That's about as long as I have been working in translation and I haven't seen any improvement in English/Japanese machine translation.

Try this one out: Translation Party

KyleGoetz 09-11-2009 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IcewindDude (Post 770119)

When machines can accurate translate between two languages, humanity will either be exterminated by AI or will no longer have to work, because machine translation is likely to be the last AI problem solved.