JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Imaginative (Offline)
JF Regular

How do you pronounce 'Oshare'? - 10-02-2009, 08:09 AM

As in Oshare Kei music. Do you pronounce it like you would in Japanese (o-sha-re) or in English, like oh-share?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-02-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginative View Post
As in Oshare Kei music. Do you pronounce it like you would in Japanese (o-sha-re) or in English, like oh-share?
o-sha-ray.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-03-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
o-sha-ray.
Sure it's not
o-sha-lay?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
korriken (Offline)
New to JF

10-03-2009, 04:42 AM

I figured it would be pronounced o sha reh
(#5 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-03-2009, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by korriken View Post
I figured it would be pronounced o sha reh
I suspect you should just learn Japanese phonetics. Japanese phonology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is everything you need to know about pronunciation, short of pitch accent, which is something you can only learn by speaking with natives.

And honestly, it's not really important to being understood, either. My pitch accent is not the best, but I have never been misunderstood by making a pitch error. I've been misunderstood by using words inelegantly, but not by making pitch errors.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

10-04-2009, 01:22 AM

Quote:
If you don't know how to pronounce オシャレ, how in the world are you going to do this speech that you showed us?

Quote:
I have to write a speech for my Japanese class, which I'm doing tomorrow! I have to pretend I'm presenting a speech to someone choosing people to go on a school trip to Japan, so it has to be about myself, some of my interests, but most of all, why I want to go to Japan. I need some suggestions though >.<
This is what I have so far, please tell me if I've made any mistakes, and what I can improve on:

Konnichiwa, watashi wa (name) to iimasu. Juu go sai desu. Haha to chichi to ani ga futari imasu.

Juu nen sei de (name of school) ni ikimasu. Eigo ga tokui desu kara, suki desu ga, yomu koto ga suki janakute, kaku koto ga suki desu.
Kodomo no toki kara, suugaku wa ichiban muzukashii no kamoku to omoimashita ga ima, rika wa suugaku yori muzukashii desu.

(I'm sure I got something wrong somewhere in that last sentence....)

Shumi wa Nihon no dorama ya anime wo miru koto desu. Tanoshikute, Nihon go ga motto jouzu ni narimasu kara, maishuu mimasu.

Moshi, Nihon ni itte, tomodachi to asondari, kaimono wo shitari, Nihon go wo naratte, sushi ya okonomiyaki wo tabetari shimasu. 2007 nen ni gakkou to Nihon he ikimashita. Osaka de okonomiyaki wo tabemashita. Totemo oishikatta kara, mata tabetaindesu.

I also don't know what to do for the conclusion.
Any help would be much appreciated!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
korriken (Offline)
New to JF

10-08-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
I suspect you should just learn Japanese phonetics. Japanese phonology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is everything you need to know about pronunciation, short of pitch accent, which is something you can only learn by speaking with natives.

And honestly, it's not really important to being understood, either. My pitch accent is not the best, but I have never been misunderstood by making a pitch error. I've been misunderstood by using words inelegantly, but not by making pitch errors.
you suspect correctly.