JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
GanHOPE326 (Offline)
New to JF

Kanji for "Shishi hakuto"...? - 11-15-2009, 11:18 AM

Hi. I've heard this phrase, shishi hakuto, which for what I know means "a lion uses all of his strenght even to catch a rabbit". I'd like to make a print of it and hang it in my room, but I can't find how it's written in Japanese! Can you help me?
The first kanji should be the one for shishi, wich is lion, so it's pretty clear.
The second is ha, rabbit, right? And then, ku-to is written in hiragana? Could someone explain me the structure of the phrase? Thank you very much!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

11-15-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanHOPE326 View Post
Hi. I've heard this phrase, shishi hakuto, which for what I know means "a lion uses all of his strenght even to catch a rabbit". I'd like to make a print of it and hang it in my room, but I can't find how it's written in Japanese! Can you help me?
The first kanji should be the one for shishi, wich is lion, so it's pretty clear.
The second is ha, rabbit, right? And then, ku-to is written in hiragana? Could someone explain me the structure of the phrase? Thank you very much!
Where do you even find nice sayings like this in romaji? It's disgusting and it lacks any kind of aesthetic quality.

は doesn't mean "rabbit" and くと isn't a word. What knowledge are these completely false assumptions based on?

It is written 獅子搏兎.

獅子(しし) = lion
搏(はく) = to beat, to smack
兎(と) = rabbit
(#3 (permalink))
Old
CrystalDoll (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to CrystalDoll
Wink 11-15-2009, 02:18 PM

It's quite interesting that some Japanese pronunciations are very similar to Chinese, even to my native dialect which is similar to native Taiwanese dialect. That makes Japanese learning more fun and interesting~Althought Japanese grammar is quite difficult, I am still encouraged by easy pronunciation.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
GanHOPE326 (Offline)
New to JF

11-15-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
Where do you even find nice sayings like this in romaji? It's disgusting and it lacks any kind of aesthetic quality.

は doesn't mean "rabbit" and くと isn't a word. What knowledge are these completely false assumptions based on?

It is written 獅子搏兎.

獅子(しし) = lion
搏(はく) = to beat, to smack
兎(と) = rabbit
Thank for your answer...
Sorry for the bad knowledge of jap .
I read this in a manga, Eyeshield 21 (it was the motto of the Shinryuuji Naga team). About ha being rabbit, it was a mistake... I just read the dictionary more carefully, and it's actually a counter for rabbits and birds. My bad.
It's just that I still can't read hiragana nor kanji. But hey, don't be so strict .
(#5 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

11-15-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalDoll View Post
It's quite interesting that some Japanese pronunciations are very similar to Chinese, even to my native dialect which is similar to native Taiwanese dialect. That makes Japanese learning more fun and interesting~Althought Japanese grammar is quite difficult, I am still encouraged by easy pronunciation.
It's because the pronunciation of kanji was borrowed from various parts of China (and Korea, which got its pronunciations from China) over the past 1600 years or so.

Kanji - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Generally, on'yomi are classified into four types:
Go-on (呉音?, "Wu sound") readings are from the pronunciation during the Southern and Northern Dynasties or Baekje, an ancient state on the Korean Peninsula, during the 5th and 6th centuries. Go means the Wu region (in the vicinity of modern Shanghai).
Kan-on (漢音?, "Han sound") readings are from the pronunciation during the Tang Dynasty in the 7th to 9th centuries, primarily from the standard speech of the capital, Chang'an (長安 or 长安, modern Xi'an).
Tō-on (唐音?, "Tang sound") readings are from the pronunciations of later dynasties, such as the Song (宋) and Ming (明). They cover all readings adopted from the Heian era (平安) to the Edo period (江戸).
Kan'yō-on (慣用音?, "Idiomatic sound") readings, which are mistaken or changed readings of the kanji that have become accepted into the language.