LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-18-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
However, I have yet to meet someone who types using anything other than the romaji method - you type Japanese in romaji, basically, あ is typed by pressing a, か is typed by typing ka, etc. The IME is a program (more like an OS feature these days) that interprets what you have typed into another language`s writing system. So instead of pressing the keys that have あ and か (3 and t) on them, you type aka and then select from a popup list to type 赤.
This is the method I use, through my OS. Its the only method I have seen being used since my Japanese friends use the Romaji method also (I just didn't know there was a name for it, thought it was the norm). Only place I've seen Japanese style keyboards is when playing Japanese video games and I've had to write my name in. Its nice to see the kana all in sound order - When you've been using it a while you never have to look at your chart anymore, as you'll know, Nyororin.

Reminds me of my noobish early days hehe

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-18-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
This is the method I use, through my OS. Its the only method I have seen being used since my Japanese friends use the Romaji method also (I just didn't know there was a name for it, thought it was the norm). Only place I've seen Japanese style keyboards is when playing Japanese video games and I've had to write my name in. Its nice to see the kana all in sound order - When you've been using it a while you never have to look at your chart anymore, as you'll know, Nyororin.

Reminds me of my noobish early days hehe
But... The Japanese keyboard doesn`t have Japanese in the sound order. It`s ぬふあうえおやゆよわ in the top line, たていすかんなにらせ across the second... and so on. Just like the letters on the keyboard aren`t in alphabetical order.

The romaji method IS the norm, it`s almost unheard of to use a different method.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-18-2009, 01:41 PM

Oh right. I've not seen this either lol.

Maybe I was thinking of something different?

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#14 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-19-2009, 12:30 AM

Yeah, it makes sense. Only reason I brought it up is because I've seen old TV shows on satellite where they were using a kana keyboard to program a video game. I forget what it was called. But it makes sense because it was sometime in the early to mid 90s, before the internet boom. Kind of a relief that IME is used now.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

11-19-2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
There are actually a couple of programming languages all in Japanese - but you`d be hard pressed to find someone who actually uses them for anything other than novelty.
I also do not think that "native" Japanese programming languages are used any more inside Japan than outside of it. Even with your example, there aren`t any Japanese characters used in the language itself. (Which is what I meant in saying that there was really little place for Japanese.)

Pretty much everyone uses the same programming languages, at about the same levels, as the rest of the world.
Yeah, that was my point. I apparently expressed it inarticulately. We are in agreement.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

11-19-2009, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzone View Post
Yeah, it makes sense. Only reason I brought it up is because I've seen old TV shows on satellite where they were using a kana keyboard to program a video game. I forget what it was called. But it makes sense because it was sometime in the early to mid 90s, before the internet boom. Kind of a relief that IME is used now.
Well... I have a kana keyboard. Kana keyboards are standard in Japan. Even when using the IME, you still use special keys that aren`t present on a non-Japanese keyboard. Like the one that switches to Japanese input.
Just using a keyboard with kana on it doesn`t mean that they weren`t using the IME.

(#17 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-20-2009, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Well... I have a kana keyboard. Kana keyboards are standard in Japan. Even when using the IME, you still use special keys that aren`t present on a non-Japanese keyboard. Like the one that switches to Japanese input.
Just using a keyboard with kana on it doesn`t mean that they weren`t using the IME.
No, in the show it was kana keyboard use, I'm sure of it. Dramatic screen closeup was shown, putting names into a stylesheet or something.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

11-20-2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzone View Post
No, in the show it was kana keyboard use, I'm sure of it. Dramatic screen closeup was shown, putting names into a stylesheet or something.
I have absolutely no doubt at all that it was a kana keyboard (Actually, JIS keyboard is the proper term). I myself am currently typing on a JIS keyboard. They are standard for Japan.
My question is to the input method. You can type in romaji just as easily with the JIS keyboard, and chances were if it was a programmer they were typing using the romaji method - as I find it very hard to imagine programming using kana input. Just because there were kana on the keys, it does not mean they were using those to type.

(#19 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

11-20-2009, 06:46 AM

Japanese kids have it tough. Not only do they have to learn Hiragana and Katakana, but they have to learn the romaji for each character just to be able to type! I couldn't imagine typing something like "jee" to get the letter "G" to appear.