(#11 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
12-13-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SceptileMaster View Post
I'm not great at Japanese but wouldn't it be に会った instead of と会った? Also isn't it a little strange to mix the informal and formal forms like that. I say this knowing I could be wrong but would like to bring it up anyway.
No you're right (I'm pretty sure on both counts). You need to stick to either informal or です・ます. You have two sentences with です that should really be だ or you need to change all the other verbs to でした 会いました etc. I should have noticed this and mentioned it in my own post >_> It's pretty important to keep your... tone(? Style? I dunno) consistent throughout a work.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

12-13-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duo797 View Post
Someone else correct me if I'm wrong but I believe 仕事 is a job as in a full time job, and I got the feeling that you were a student.

You should avoid using pronouns like 'he' and 'she' as a beginner, because your instinct will be to use it any time we would in english. I'm sure it's used sometimes, but you definitely don't need it here. I would've said コウといいます。 'She is called Koh'. I believe that 私の名前はディです pattern is just a basic way you're taught to introduce yourself as a foreigner that is never really used by native speakers.

背が高くておもしろくてかわいいです。
You had a decent sized spelling error for おもしろい

I can't tell you how to say 'born and raised' because I'm not sure and I think it's more of a set phrase in english.

In the final sentence, the を you're using marks a direct object. There is no direct object in your sentence and there doesn't need to be one. I can't say I've ever seen を used with the verb 来る。 I might just say 'Last year, she came to america.' 去年アメリカに来ました。

Good luck writing your story, I hope I've helped.
Born and raised: “born and raised”の検索結果(13 件):英辞郎 on the Web:スペースアルク
Quote:
born and raised in
《be ~》~で生まれ育つ、生まれも育ちも~である
Because that's where I was born and raised. I have a lot of friends there.
ママは東京で生まれ育ったからよ。東京にはお友達がた くさんいるの。
(#13 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

12-13-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuusuke View Post
1. when i used と会った I just wanted it to make the sentence sound intentional that I was meeting her.
2. yes, i know i shouldn't mix them, but this was kind of a rough draft.
Discussion about the difference between に会う and と会う: http://academy6.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/gengo/1221137410/

The question-asker makes the mistake of assuming there is an を会う in Japanese because (what I assume is his native language) Korean uses its を-equivalent particle in that situation sometimes. A native Japanese speaker responds that を is not used in Japanese there.

A better explanation from NHK: NHK
Quote:
「私は彼と会う」と「私は彼に会う」とでは、どう違う のでしょうか。

放送でのコメントとしては、使い分けをそれほど強く意 識する必要はないかもしれません。しかしことば本来の 意味の違いとしては、非常に微妙ですが、「私」と「彼 」の両方が移動して会うのか、あるいは「私」のほうか ら「彼」のところに会いに行くのか、というニュアンス の差があるようです。

【解説】
 まず、助詞の「と」について考えてみましょう。「私 は彼と勉強をする」と言った場合、「私」も勉強をする し、「彼」も勉強をしますよね。つまり「と」には、
 「互いに~する」
という意味があることがわかります。
 次に「に」についてです。「私は彼に告白をする」と 言った場合、「告白」をするのは私からであって、彼が 告白をしたり、あるいはお互いに告白をしあったりはし ません。つまり「に」には、
 「一方から他方に~する」
という意味があることがわかります。
 さて、ご質問の「会う」について考えてみましょう。 「私は彼と会う」と言った場合には、両方が移動して行 って会うに至る、ということになります。待ち合わせ場 所を決めて会う場合などが、代表的な例です。
 いっぽう「私は彼に会う」は、「私」のほうから「彼 」のほうに会いに行くのであって、「彼」は別に移動し なくてもかまいません。相手のところに訪ねて行く場合 によく使われます。
 似たようなことは、「ぶつかる」でも言えます。「車 が壁にぶつかる」という言い方は問題ありませんが、「 車が壁とぶつかる」はややぎこちない表現となります。 これは、「壁」は動くはずのないものだからです。
From what I've read, your idea that you wanted to emphasize it was a first meeting isn't really the distinction between に and と in this case. The difference is that と emphasizes that both "meeters" intended to meet. に only says something about one of you (the subject of the sentence), while the other was merely "met."

However, I suppose a side effect of that is that when you meet someone for the first time, it's probably something you both planned (although not always), so I guess it could have that slight implication in your usage. But I'm not sure. Maybe a native can clarify...

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 12-13-2009 at 06:24 PM.