JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

3 quick questions - 12-18-2009, 09:04 PM

I was watching on youtube the "human being" version of an old anime in Japanese (with English subtitles or I would have understood nada lol).
Let me say in advance that the relationship between the characters is kinda weird. They are on a polite form of conversation, but since they fall in love they also drop sometimes in a more confidential way of talking. So the next couple of questions are due to the fact that I am not sure when they use them.

あの Is this form of attracting attention (like "excuse me" or "listen") confidential or is it used also in a more formal situation?
どうも I have heard many times in that show using this expression to say "hello". I assume it is a friendly way to say it? (it confuses me coz the same people alternate it. Some mornings they say どうも and some days おはようございます).
どこの this one comes from a book I am reading, but it is not the first time I meet this use of it. In the book I am reading someone says that he needs to go to work and the other person replys どこの会社?and then goes on 俺は会社名をいった so it clearly means what is the name of the company. In another book I remember clearly this expression to be used to ask for the name of a person. But doesn't どこの asks about a location and not a name?

お願いします.

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

12-18-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryuop View Post
I was watching on youtube the "human being" version of an old anime in Japanese (with English subtitles or I would have understood nada lol).
Let me say in advance that the relationship between the characters is kinda weird. They are on a polite form of conversation, but since they fall in love they also drop sometimes in a more confidential way of talking. So the next couple of questions are due to the fact that I am not sure when they use them.

あの Is this form of attracting attention (like "excuse me" or "listen") confidential or is it used also in a more formal situation?
どうも I have heard many times in that show using this expression to say "hello". I assume it is a friendly way to say it? (it confuses me coz the same people alternate it. Some mornings they say どうも and some days おはようございます).
どこの this one comes from a book I am reading, but it is not the first time I meet this use of it. In the book I am reading someone says that he needs to go to work and the other person replys どこの会社?and then goes on 俺は会社名をいった so it clearly means what is the name of the company. In another book I remember clearly this expression to be used to ask for the name of a person. But doesn't どこの asks about a location and not a name?

お願いします.
1. あの〜 means "umm." I was taught it falls into the category of aizuchi, but wikipedia suggests aizuchi are things like はい、うん inserted in conversation to show you're listening. This is not what Yookoso labels "aizuchi." Yookoso says aizuchi are あのう、ええと, etc. Regardless, あのう = "umm"

2. どうも is like "hey" or "hi"—I couldn't tell you the implications of using it, though. My friends all said stuff like おっす、うぃっす、おはよう and my hostmother would say おはよう. I think maybe a couple older neighbors would say どうも, but I'm not sure. I sure never used it. ALthough, given the situations in which I would use どうも(どうもすみません、どうもありがとう), I suspect it's a bit more polite than just おはよう. Technically, おはよう comes from the Kyoto variant of お早い, meaning "early"—but that is irrelevant to your question.

3. Yeah, but when someone asks "where do you work?" they're not really asking for the city, but for the name of the company even in English.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-19-2009, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
1. あの〜 means "umm." I was taught it falls into the category of aizuchi, but wikipedia suggests aizuchi are things like はい、うん inserted in conversation to show you're listening. This is not what Yookoso labels "aizuchi." Yookoso says aizuchi are あのう、ええと, etc. Regardless, あのう = "umm"

2. どうも is like "hey" or "hi"—I couldn't tell you the implications of using it, though. My friends all said stuff like おっす、うぃっす、おはよう and my hostmother would say おはよう. I think maybe a couple older neighbors would say どうも, but I'm not sure. I sure never used it. ALthough, given the situations in which I would use どうも(どうもすみません、どうもありがとう), I suspect it's a bit more polite than just おはよう. Technically, おはよう comes from the Kyoto variant of お早い, meaning "early"—but that is irrelevant to your question.

3. Yeah, but when someone asks "where do you work?" they're not really asking for the city, but for the name of the company even in English.
1. Actually it is also used as a form of "excuse me", so in this case I think the OP had it right the first time.

2. I hear it more between business relations than just friends, and I think more by older people than younger people. It is shortening a longer sentence, so "hi" or "hey" isn't quite right. It could be short for どうも ひさしぶりです or some other longer phrase.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

12-19-2009, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
1. Actually it is also used as a form of "excuse me", so in this case I think the OP had it right the first time.
I agree, but I think "umm" is a form of "excuse me" in English. I just think a more accurate translation of "ano~" is something like "umm [can I get your attention?]."

But if I'm wrong on that, which I may well be, my bad.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
12-19-2009, 11:53 PM

Also, in case you were curious, the 'human being' version of an anime (and other things) are generally called 'Live-Action' in english. Helpful term to know for some movies and TV shows.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

12-20-2009, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duo797 View Post
Also, in case you were curious, the 'human being' version of an anime (and other things) are generally called 'Live-Action' in english. Helpful term to know for some movies and TV shows.
Wait, chryuop, living in Oklahoma, is not a native English speaker? How did I never notice this? Maybe I did and forgot...

Yeah, "live action" is the opposite of "animated/cartoon."
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

12-20-2009, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duo797 View Post
In case your curiosity knows no end, it's 実写版(じっしゃばん) in Japanese. This will impress your Japanese friends because it's a word many people keep forgetting.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-20-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
In case your curiosity knows no end, it's 実写版(じっしゃばん) in Japanese. This will impress your Japanese friends because it's a word many people keep forgetting.
Heehee I will use it immediately with my penpal thanks.

No Kyle, I am not American. I was born and raised in Italy. Moved to the USA 8 years ago. But you know what? I don't think I know the exact terminology for a live action in my language either

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#9 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

12-20-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryuop View Post
Heehee I will use it immediately with my penpal thanks.

No Kyle, I am not American. I was born and raised in Italy. Moved to the USA 8 years ago. But you know what? I don't think I know the exact terminology for a live action in my language either
Does Italy have much of an animation scene? I can't say I've seen any. I've seen French, English, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, but never Italian.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-21-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Does Italy have much of an animation scene? I can't say I've seen any. I've seen French, English, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, but never Italian.
No, in Italy all we have is Japanese anime (maybe 85%) and some American Hannah & Barbera They have made a couple of Live-Action with Italian actors but always after Japanese anime (I doubt they left Italy coz they were pretty lame LOL). I am pretty sure Italy is a very good market for Japanese anime companies.

Yes I can say I have started seeing Japanese kana and kanji since I was around 4, but never understood what they were...of course dubbed in Italian. I have lost the count of the anime I have watched since the mid 70's (I guess I can pass the 50 series easily). Most of those all these neo Japan anime lovers don't even know they exist
Of course then most of the Italian kids (well, back then, not sure if today happens the same) develope a love for all Japan material. Before I moved to the USA I had like 5-600 manga, a closet full of Japanese anime video tapes and a buttload of original sound tracks (each one costed me at least $50, but those were the cheapest).

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ