JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   Sight in japanese (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/29505-sight-japanese.html)

vegna 12-26-2009 05:53 AM

Sight in japanese

I am working in my manga pilot (name/nemu), and i want to name the main character "sight" because of his ability. So if you could translate sight into romanji, i'll appreciate it.

masaegu 12-26-2009 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegna (Post 791570)
I am working in my manga pilot (name/nemu), and i want to name the main character "sight" because of his ability. So if you could translate sight into romanji, i'll appreciate it.

Translate or transliterate?

The former won't work for a name. It almost never does.

If you wanted the latter, then it would be サイト .

EDIT: Forgot to give romaji. Saito

vegna 12-26-2009 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masaegu (Post 791572)
Translate or transliterate?

The former won't work for a name. It almost never does.

If you wanted the latter, then it would be サイト .

EDIT: Forgot to give romaji. Saito

Thanks for the help.

KyleGoetz 12-26-2009 07:26 AM

Quote:

Any reason you can't use a language you speak?

MMM 12-26-2009 09:45 AM

Quote:

What's a "manga pilot"?

Tenchu 12-26-2009 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 791586)
What's a "manga pilot"?

I think it's where you tie a piece of string to a trained rat and put it into your wall to eat the termites (the string is so you can pull him out incase of trouble).

MMM 12-26-2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchu (Post 791587)
I think it's where you tie a piece of string to a trained rat and put it into your wall to eat the termites (the string is so you can pull him out incase of trouble).

Thanks for your help.

KyleGoetz 12-26-2009 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 791589)
Thanks for your help.

In all seriousness, I suspect the guy is making a comic book but wants some "mystical Asian names."

I've had some recent experiences with artists/authors who needed to verify some Japanese because they have a character ending up in Japan as part of the plot and wanted to use dialogue to show how fish-out-of-water the character was. So I'm now more patient with people who need that type of translation.

But "I want to give my character a fake, quasi- not-actually-Japanese name that uses Japanese sounds but English vocabulary for some mystical quality that only Americans obsessed with an artificial image of Japan will enjoy"?

I don't get that.

However, OP can convince me otherwise and put me in my place. I'll apologize if there is a good reason for wanting to name your character サイト. Hell, if a Japanese-speaking person even sees サイト or "Saito," they're going to assume it means "site," right? “サイト”の検索結果(1737 件):英辞郎 on the Web:スペースアルク

vegna 12-28-2009 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 791586)
What's a "manga pilot"?

It is a one-shot manga, in other words it is only a one issue manga, usually between 15 to 60 pages.

chryuop 12-28-2009 09:41 PM

Moreover Saito is also a Japanese name, so they might not thing about Sight and just take it as Saito....am I wrong?