JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   translation Japanese words ? only 2 words ? HELP ! (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/29611-translation-japanese-words-only-2-words-help.html)

tommymaxim 12-31-2009 01:55 PM

translation Japanese words ? only 2 words ? HELP !

Hi ... can anyone help me to translate this ? to English ?
Hallo ... kan iemand me helpen dit te vertalen ? naar het Nederlands ?

I think it are only 2 words ? , the first one meaning "password" ?

For a person knowing Japanese piece of cake no ?

Thank you, kind regards Tommy.

Look at : Fotoalbum, Gratis Online! Uw Digitale Foto's in een Online Fotoalbum bij Mijn Album!

Mail to : [email protected]

hatsuto11 12-31-2009 02:08 PM

パスワード(there is a 長音, long syllable in there)= password
は is the topic marking particle in Japanese (referring to 助詞)
五= five (and it is written the same in Chinese and Japanese)

So the total translation would be: The password is 'five'

tommymaxim 12-31-2009 02:48 PM

Hi,

thank you very much :)

what do you mean with your second sentence :
so this sign doesn't mean anything only '...'
so only that it replies to password ?

again thank you

kind regards

KyleGoetz 12-31-2009 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymaxim (Post 792592)
Hi,

again thank you

kind regards

Basically は comes right after the topic of the sentence in Japanese. It's sort of equivalent to saying "As for ___" in English. Neither Dutch nor English has a comparable thing in the language.

So パスワードは五 is a sentence fragment that fairly literally translates to "As for the password, five" but really means "The password is 'five.'"

hatsuto11 01-01-2010 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymaxim (Post 792592)
Hi,

again thank you

kind regards

Actually it has concept and function in Japanese but English does not have an equivalent to that!
はmainly indicates the 'main topic' or sometimes the subject in a specific sentence.
In the case mentioned above, 'password' is the main topic. In English, it might be preceded with the definite article 'the' (the password is~~). However, in japanese its 'part of speech' is expressed using は!
Again, such particles do not exist in Occidental languages, therefore, it cannot be interpreted precisely in English:)

MMM 01-01-2010 05:23 PM

Or more simply in this sentence は could be tranlated as "is".

hatsuto11 01-01-2010 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 792777)
Or more simply in this sentence は could be tranlated as "is".

The meaning of は is very far from 'is'. Basically the copula 'です' can be translated as 'is/are...'.

In that context in particular, it can replaced with 'is' in English. But that meaning is not accurate.
Anyway, you might be right about that (only in our case). I was actually intending to mention that in my post but i didn't since i was afraid that you will start arguing the moment you see it.

MMM 01-01-2010 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatsuto11 (Post 792784)
The meaning of は is very far from 'is'. Basically the copula 'です' can be translated as 'is/are...'.

In that context in particular, it can replaced with 'is' in English. But that meaning is not accurate.
Anyway, you might be right about that (only in our case). I was actually intending to mention that in my post but i didn't since i was afraid that you will start arguing the moment you see it.

Translation is an art, not a science.

You can say the copula です is translated as "is/are" but how many sentences that have "is/are" don't have です?

Considering that was my first post in this thread I am surprised you edited yourself in anticipation of my response.

chryuop 01-02-2010 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatsuto11 (Post 792784)

Literal translation...the mother of all mistakes (and I do that too ften too LOL). Actually the word translation should be banned, above all for languages which are so different like Japanese-English. Interpretation would be a better definition.
I think the easiest way is to simply forget the verb to be. As a matter of fact even です it is not a strict is/are. If you see it that way, many phrases will not work when you go and translate them (above all when you meet ellictic forms).

tommymaxim 01-02-2010 11:59 AM

Hi, thanks everybody for the help ...

Problem is : when I take 5 or five etc ... pasword doesn' work ...
The text is standing on his head.
Maybe upside down, anyone can make something of this :

Fotoalbum, Gratis Online! Uw Digitale Foto's in een Online Fotoalbum bij Mijn Album!

thank you

[email protected]