JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
DogAngel22 (Offline)
New to JF

Question How to write a proper email in Japanese? - 01-09-2010, 08:35 PM

Hey all, I need to write emails to my Japanese teachers properly asking them for a recommendation. I thought that it would be appropriate to write them in Japanese. Only problem is I have not learned how to write formal emails in Japanese. Could someone please write a sample email asking for a recommendation with the right greetings and endings? I have no idea if it should start the same way a formal letter does.

Thank you

P.S. I am fine with Kanji/hiragana or romaji.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

01-09-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogAngel22 View Post
Hey all, I need to write emails to my Japanese teachers properly asking them for a recommendation. I thought that it would be appropriate to write them in Japanese. Only problem is I have not learned how to write formal emails in Japanese. Could someone please write a sample email asking for a recommendation with the right greetings and endings? I have no idea if it should start the same way a formal letter does.

Thank you

P.S. I am fine with Kanji/hiragana or romaji.
how to write a letter in japanese - Google Search
(#3 (permalink))
Old
DogAngel22 (Offline)
New to JF

01-09-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Yes thank you. I am familiar with google. Now that is how to write a letter in Japanese. I would like to know how to write an email because I already looked up some formats but there were so many like "how to write a proper reply," "how to thank someone for a favor," but none fit the "how to ask for a recommendation" mold. So Thank You for replying with a google link but I am looking for an actual example.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

01-10-2010, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogAngel22 View Post
Yes thank you. I am familiar with google. Now that is how to write a letter in Japanese. I would like to know how to write an email because I already looked up some formats but there were so many like "how to write a proper reply," "how to thank someone for a favor," but none fit the "how to ask for a recommendation" mold. So Thank You for replying with a google link but I am looking for an actual example.
Sorry, but I read "email" as "mail."

And in general formal emails are supposed to be composed just like regular mail in English, so you can assume the same in Japanese. I always composed formal emails like formal mails in Japanese.

As for the actual request, you could make it sound quite nice and humble with something like 推薦状を書いていただけないでしょうか, which is literally something like "might I humbly receive your writing a recommendation letter."

No need to get snarky, mate.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
DogAngel22 (Offline)
New to JF

01-10-2010, 11:41 AM

ah im aware of asking for recommendations with that phrase but i wasnt sure if that was enough but if it is considered quite humble then thats great; i will use that. And yes sorry for the "snarky-ness." I absolutely despise when people respond with Google links because I consider that to be very condescending. However, I would like to thank you for ultimately answering my question. It helped alot! Thanks :3