LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Spanishman (Offline)
New to JF

01-29-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
No, I think your English was clear. It's just that we get so many people here who want names in kanji, which isn't usually possible, that it is basically instinctive to assume everyone asking your question is asking for that.

It is clear you understand that you aren't getting (or asking for) "Axel in Japanese." Rather, you're getting something with the same meaning as the name.

The "father" in "father of peace" is God, correct? In the Lord's prayer, "father" is translated as 父, which is literally "father."

Peace is 平和. So I would also say 平和の父, although it looks weird and I think it would look even weirder on your arm. I would get the same feeling from seeing that as I would seeing "padre de paz" on your arm. Is this what you want? It will just look weird to anyone who can read it, and it won't mean anything to anyone who doesn't speak Japanese.

Essentially, you're seeking to get a tattoo that no one will associate with your son. In fact, Japanese speakers will probably assume you think you are talking about yourself with the tattoo.
Are you telepatic?? Because your say exactly what i'm thinking!!!!
Your' right with all of your words and that is exactly what I want. I know already that people who can read the kanji will think that I'm talking about me. By the way, what are this simbol's meaning > の ?? of??

By the way, in my right arm I have already a tattoo with the meaning (I hope it ) from my first son. Can you say me if it will mean somethink??

MMM, your right. It's not so easy to translate some sentences to other language and I thank your really for your help and participation in the Thread

And finnaly, KyleGoetz, this Kanji > アヘル did it have some meaning???
(#22 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

01-29-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanishman View Post
Are you telepatic?? Because your say exactly what i'm thinking!!!!
Your' right with all of your words and that is exactly what I want. I know already that people who can read the kanji will think that I'm talking about me. By the way, what are this simbol's meaning > の ?? of??
I already knew Spanish when I studied Japanese. When I first learned の, I learned it as the reverse of "de": "A de B" is the same thing as "BのA." Of course, there are other uses of both, but they overlap in at least one way. Here, it means "of."

Quote:
By the way, in my right arm I have already a tattoo with the meaning (I hope it ) from my first son. Can you say me if it will mean somethink??

It looks a bit like "Always king" or "consistently king" to me.

Quote:
And finnaly, KyleGoetz, this Kanji > アヘル did it have some meaning???
It is not kanji. Kanji - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It is katakana. Katakana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It only has one meaning: "the sounds Aheru" (Axel if the x=Spanish j)
(#23 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-30-2010, 01:42 AM

Looks like "permanent king"...like Kyle said. I am guessing it might mean "undying king" or "king forever"....is your son's name Arthur?
(#24 (permalink))
Old
gyl0119 (Offline)
JF Regular

01-30-2010, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
平和父
lol its gonan sound so weird when a japanese person asked your name and you reply heiwa otosan
(#25 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

01-30-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyl0119 View Post
lol its gonan sound so weird when a japanese person asked your name and you reply heiwa otosan
You misunderstand. He's not looking to get a name tattooed. He's looking to get the meaning of the name tattooed. They are different. He's not an idiot looking to get "a name in Chinese characters."

A subtle, but important, distinction.

He and I have both said this at least three times prior to your post. I even clarified it once in my post, asking if I understood correctly, and he said I was telepathic.

When someone asks him what the tattoo is, he won't be saying, "Oh, it's my son's name in Japanese." He'll say "it means 'father of peace,' which is what my son Axel's name means."
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Spanishman (Offline)
New to JF

06-17-2010, 11:50 PM

Hello again,

finnaly I'm daddy again and it's time to make the tattoo of his name. The think is that I'm not sure if the correct for "Father of Peace" was:

or

could you help me again??

thanks

Quote:
Looks like "permanent king"...like Kyle said. I am guessing it might mean "undying king" or "king forever"....is your son's name Arthur?
No, my first son's name is ERIK and that means "Eternal Ruler"
(#27 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-18-2010, 12:14 AM

According to this article, the first one would be more correct.

タイガー、第2子の名前は「平和の父」 - Get in the Hole!
(#28 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

06-18-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
According to this article, the first one would be more correct.

タイガー、第2子の名前は「平和の父」 - Get in the Hole!
So native Japanese people are sort of "translating" the name as well. Granted, it's more like explaining the meaning, but I always thought that's what OP was looking for, rather than a Japanese "version" of the name.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Spanishman (Offline)
New to JF

06-21-2010, 11:57 PM

2 last questions:

> What is the diference between the both??

> How you will pronounce it?

Once again THANKS
(#30 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-22-2010, 12:43 AM

Better answered by a native speaker, but I think the first one is more clear.

The added character gives the "of" of "Father of Peace".

It would be pronounced Heiwa No Chichi.

Understand this isn't a name in Japanese, but the explanation of the name Axel in Japanese.

The name Axel in Japanese is:

アクセル