Can I write it also vertical??

(#12 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-29-2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryuop View Post
Hey MMM and how you would read that word? へいわちち?へいわとう?へいわふ?へいわほ? When I meet words mixed up like that in kanji I get completely puzzled lol.
Since it isn't actually a word, I would guess へいわちち.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanishman View Post
Can I write it also vertical??

Yes you can.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

01-29-2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Since it isn't actually a word, I would guess へいわちち.
I concur. It is short for へいわのちち, after all.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-29-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryuop View Post
Hey MMM and how you would read that word? へいわちち?へいわとう?へいわふ?へいわほ? When I meet words mixed up like that in kanji I get completely puzzled lol.
You wouldn't read it because it is essentially nonsense. It is simply the words peace and father put together. Kanji tattoos generally do not work. I think what this person wants is the words to phonetically sound like Alex, but mean father of peace, which obviously 平和父 doesn't.

I am sorry Spanishman but I don't think what you are looking for exists in Japanese. Perhaps just getting a Katakana tattoo with the name of your son would be the best.
It looks like this: アレックス

Last edited by RickOShay : 01-29-2010 at 07:03 AM.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

01-29-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post
You wouldn't read it because it is essentially nonsense. It is simply the words peace and father put together. Kanji tattoos generally do not work. I think what this person wants is the words to phonetically sound like Alex, but mean father of peace, which obviously 平和父 doesn't.

I am sorry Spanishman but I don't think what you are looking for exists in Japanese. Perhaps just getting a Katakana tattoo with the name of your son would be the best.
The name is Axel, not Alex. The katakana would depend on how the name is pronounced in Spanish.

Everything else you stated is true.

As a Japanese speaker, I have issues with 平和父 but then 平和の父 looks just as goofy as a tattoo.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-29-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
As a Japanese speaker, I have issues with 平和父 but then 平和の父 looks just as goofy as a tattoo.
and 平和父 doesn't? It's better than some others at least. It only makes me grin because in my head I translate it as "Peace Daddy", which sounds like some awfully fly 1960's dude with big hair. Who may or may not be a secret agent.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Spanishman (Offline)
New to JF

01-29-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post

What I'm looking for is a vertical Kanji where you can read "Father of Peace" because this sentence is the meaning of the name Axel. So maybe my bad English have brought you to some mistake, sorry.
Another think is that I always speaks from Kanji but if there is other way to write "Father of Peace" in vertical it's ok also.
The only important think is to understand the "essence" and the meaning of the characters that have to mena "Father of Peace"

Thank's to everyone to participate in this Thread
(#18 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

01-29-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
The name is Axel, not Alex. The katakana would depend on how the name is pronounced in Spanish.

Everything else you stated is true.

I know of three ways to pronounce "Axel" depending on where you are from and a few other things.
アヘル - "x" used to be pronounced like this, so some older words (like "México") still retain this pronunciation
アセル - - "x" is now read like this most of the time
アクセル - Old Spanish read "x" like an English "x" and it retains that pronunciation in some times.

Actually, there is a famous tennis player whose first name is Arantxa. Spanish people pronounce it Arantcha, so technically there's be a fourth way, but I'm basically 100% sure it would not be アッチェル.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

01-29-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
What I'm looking for is a vertical Kanji where you can read "Father of Peace" because this sentence is the meaning of the name Axel. So maybe my bad English have brought you to some mistake, sorry.
Another think is that I always speaks from Kanji but if there is other way to write "Father of Peace" in vertical it's ok also.
The only important think is to understand the "essence" and the meaning of the characters that have to mena "Father of Peace"

No, I think your English was clear. It's just that we get so many people here who want names in kanji, which isn't usually possible, that it is basically instinctive to assume everyone asking your question is asking for that.

It is clear you understand that you aren't getting (or asking for) "Axel in Japanese." Rather, you're getting something with the same meaning as the name.

The "father" in "father of peace" is God, correct? In the Lord's prayer, "father" is translated as 父, which is literally "father."

Peace is 平和. So I would also say 平和の父, although it looks weird and I think it would look even weirder on your arm. I would get the same feeling from seeing that as I would seeing "padre de paz" on your arm. Is this what you want? It will just look weird to anyone who can read it, and it won't mean anything to anyone who doesn't speak Japanese.

Essentially, you're seeking to get a tattoo that no one will associate with your son. In fact, Japanese speakers will probably assume you think you are talking about yourself with the tattoo.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-29-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:

The problem is not your English, but the fact this is a translation into a language so different as Japanese. So it CAN be translated as Father of Peace, but it also CAN be translated as "Peace Daddy". So the "essence" is there, but there may also be a wider translations as well.