JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
pacerier (Offline)
JF Old Timer

what can be used for ga hoshii - 02-07-2010, 10:40 PM

hi all, i was wondering what could we and what could we not use for ga hoshii.

because i was saying something like nihon no ryouri ga hoshii desu however my teacher say that its 'weird' to say it this way. i was wondering why

========================================
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Yuusuke (Offline)
Banned!

02-08-2010, 04:05 AM

nihon no ryouri ga hoshii desu (please no romaji)

日本のりょうりがほしいです。 either you are trying to say "I want japanese cooking" or I want to cook japanese food.

verbs have a want form to. it's ーたい form XD basically you put the verb in it's い and add ーたい at the end

和風りょうりしたいです or ーしたんですが。
right guys?

(#3 (permalink))
Old
pacerier (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-08-2010, 05:57 AM

can i say this: ねますのこと が ほしい です

or does it sound weird.

========================================
(#4 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

02-08-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacerier View Post
can i say this: ねますのこと が ほしい です

or does it sound weird.
Not just weird, but grammatically incorrect.

I assume you want to say "I want to sleep," right? If you want to say "I want to [do some verb]" you use the たい form: ねたい = "I want to sleep." Basically, this makes the verb into an adjective. It doesn't really make sense if you try and treat it like English. Just know that it's basically an adjective because of the way you conjugate it:

ねたい I want to sleep
ねたくない I do not want to sleep
ねたかった I wanted to sleep
ねたくなかった I did not want to sleep
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-08-2010, 11:24 AM

Hmm, that's something.
Am I right in thinking that がほしい is used for sort of more long-term wants and wishes, particularly actions done for you, but it's not really used much?

So things like "I want something to drink" would be more natural as 何かをのみたい。As it's an immediate want that you can do for yourself.
Things like "I want to buy a car" can be equally 新しい車を買いたい or 新しい車を買って欲しい but i'd use たい maybe if I was stood in the car sales room and ほしい maybe if someone asked me what i wanted in general. You can use たい there as well though, can't you? But it sounds more like "Hey if you had a million pounds what would you buy?"; "I wanna new car!" as opposed to "I've been wanting a new car (for a while now)."

I've mostly only heard it used to describe what other people want though. Like you can't say ボッブさんは新しい車を買いたい。without it sounding a bit too direct and simple. So you have to say ボッブさんは新しい車をほしがっています
Wait? How do you say "Mr。Bob wants to buy a car" using ほしい?車を買ってほしがっています?買ったほしがっ ています?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-08-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Hmm, that's something.
Am I right in thinking that がほしい is used for sort of more long-term wants and wishes, particularly actions done for you, but it's not really used much?

So things like "I want something to drink" would be more natural as 何かをのみたい。As it's an immediate want that you can do for yourself.
Things like "I want to buy a car" can be equally 新しい車を買いたい or 新しい車を買って欲しい but i'd use たい maybe if I was stood in the car sales room and ほしい maybe if someone asked me what i wanted in general. You can use たい there as well though, can't you? But it sounds more like "Hey if you had a million pounds what would you buy?"; "I wanna new car!" as opposed to "I've been wanting a new car (for a while now)."

I've mostly only heard it used to describe what other people want though. Like you can't say ボッブさんは新しい車を買いたい。without it sounding a bit too direct and simple. So you have to say ボッブさんは新しい車をほしがっています
Wait? How do you say "Mr。Bob wants to buy a car" using ほしい?車を買ってほしがっています?買ったほしがっ ています?
You are a bit mixed up.

Your 買ってほしい example is wanting someone ELSE to buy the car for him. Like "Bob wants you/someone to buy him a car." 買ってほしがっています is essentially the same thing, but a bit less direct. "Bob is wanting someone to buy him a car."

I can`t really think of a way you could say "Bob wants to buy a car" using ほしい.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
yuriyuri (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-08-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Hmm, that's something.

てほしい is only really used for saying you want someone to do something.

新しい車を買ってほしい
I want (whoever) to buy a new car

I am not sure if you can use を with ほしい or not but I haven't seen it so far, maybe I am wrong though.
I mainly see it with が or with the が dropped.

You can still use がる with the normal たい form so:
ボッブさんは新しい車がほしがっています
Bob wants a new car

ボッブさんは新しい車を買ったがっています
Bob wants to buy a new car

I think the reason you cant use ボッブさんは新しい車を買いたい as a statement is because you can't possibly know the speakers actual feelings, and since たい expresses the speakers desire you have to make an observation of that feeling with がる.

This goes for adjectives like 怖い too.

You could however use 新しい車を買いたい as a quote or question etc.

I've probably missed some stuff, but I'm at work now so I can't spend much time on this post.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-08-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriyuri View Post
You can still use がる with the normal たい form so:
ボッブさんは新しい車がほしがっています
Bob wants a new car
This doesn`t work. It would be をほしがっています.

Quote:
ボッブさんは新しい車を買ったがっています
Bob wants to buy a new car
And this should be 買いたがっています, not 買った

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
yuriyuri (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-08-2010, 12:20 PM

sorry for the mistakes, I can't type Japanese here so I was copy pasting kana
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-08-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
You are a bit mixed up.

Your 買ってほしい example is wanting someone ELSE to buy the car for him. Like "Bob wants you/someone to buy him a car." 買ってほしがっています is essentially the same thing, but a bit less direct. "Bob is wanting someone to buy him a car."

I can`t really think of a way you could say "Bob wants to buy a car" using ほしい.
Ahh, i get it. Thanks Nyororin and Yuriyuri. I had only one class on this structure and I must have confused it up at some point afterwards. I mostly stick to たい and くれる all the time so I've hardly used it. Can you say 〜てくれたい?or is that strictly what ほしい is for.