JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Nokutetsu (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Nokutetsu
How to pick up the language? - 02-13-2010, 08:35 PM

Hey. I think as a good boost to my personal study, I'll be going to Japan for a month in summer. But the only place I can afford is the guest houses like Sakura house, so my study will have to be outside of the 'home' so to speak.

But how can I do this? Where can I go that will have no English, and I can pick the language up? I'm not very sure where to begin.

Ahh, the internet. Where men are men, women are men, and 14 year old girls are FBI agents.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
02-13-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokutetsu View Post
Hey. I think as a good boost to my personal study, I'll be going to Japan for a month in summer. But the only place I can afford is the guest houses like Sakura house, so my study will have to be outside of the 'home' so to speak.

But how can I do this? Where can I go that will have no English, and I can pick the language up? I'm not very sure where to begin.
Congrats on going to Japan this summer!
By the way, why do you choose a Sakura house? People have probably heard me recommend this to people a thousand times, but rental apartments are about the same price, and you have an entire apartment to yourself for monthly increments.

Apartments, Serviced Apartments and Guest Houses in Japan – GaijinPot Apartments › Serviced Listing

Just simply talk to locals. I do this daily, (although I'm not in Japan now) and I notice it helps my speaking, grammar, and pronunciation more than any other type of studying I've found. I don't really know of any other way to just simply "pick up the language" other than indulge yourself in it as much as possible while you're there.

猿も木から落ちる
(#3 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

02-14-2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:
I'll be going to Japan for a month in summer.

Where can I go that will have no English
Uhh, right outside your front door?

Contrary to popular belief, Japanese people don't walk around chatting in English. Most people (even those who know some) will be extremely hesitant to use it. Literally walk out your front door, BAM! Japanese people!!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-14-2010, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Don't forget, It'll take at least 2-4 years of learning and practice to learn another language that is very different from your mother tongue.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.