JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
celephais (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to celephais
Kanji for JLPT 4 - 02-21-2010, 03:48 AM

Does anyone know if the 80 kanji listed on http://www.kanjisite.com/html/start/...nt/4kcomp.html are all that are needed for level 4 of the JLPT? Is this list current? This is what I have started studying but I don't want to continue if this is not a current, correct list.
Thanks everyone!

Last edited by celephais : 02-21-2010 at 03:50 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-21-2010, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celephais View Post
Does anyone know if the 80 kanji listed on www.kanjisite.com are all that are needed for level 4 of the JLPT? Is this list current? This is what I have started studying but I don't want to continue if this is not a current, correct list.
Thanks everyone!
Just curious, why are you taking JLPT 4?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
celephais (Offline)
New to JF

02-21-2010, 04:11 AM

Well, isn't level 4 the first step in the JLPT series? I'm wanting to take it to see how well I've done at studying on my own for the past couple of years before I start on my bachelors in Japanese Language at the University of Utah.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-21-2010, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Well, isn't level 4 the first step in the JLPT series? I'm wanting to take it to see how well I've done at studying on my own for the past couple of years before I start on my bachelors in Japanese Language at the University of Utah.
It's just there are cheaper ways to know that, as passing the JLPT 1 is the only test that you can put on a resume (though some would argue there is value to passing JLPT 2).
(#5 (permalink))
Old
celephais (Offline)
New to JF

02-21-2010, 04:24 AM

Well, I do want to be able to put it on my resume, that I eventually pass all 4 levels, as I plan to work as a translator after I finish my degree. I plan to singlehandedly eliminate Japanese Engrish! Lol!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-21-2010, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Well, I do want to be able to put it on my resume, that I eventually pass all 4 levels, as I plan to work as a translator after I finish my degree. I plan to singlehandedly eliminate Japanese Engrish! Lol!
You don't need to pass all four levels, you just need to pass level 1.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
celephais (Offline)
New to JF

02-21-2010, 05:09 AM

I know I don't have to, but I want to!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-21-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know if the 80 kanji listed on http://www.kanjisite.com/html/start/...nt/4kcomp.html are all that are needed for level 4 of the JLPT? Is this list current? This is what I have started studying but I don't want to continue if this is not a current, correct list.
Thanks everyone!
JLPT, starting from this year has 5 levels, and they are N1, N2, N3, N4, and N5.

I also would not bother taking any but the first two levels if I was you. Since it might take you a couple tries to pass level one. I know from experience, save your money, unless you just have money and time to piss away that is.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-21-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post
JLPT, starting from this year has 5 levels, and they are N1, N2, N3, N4, and N5.

I also would not bother taking any but the first two levels if I was you. Since it might take you a couple tries to pass level one. I know from experience, save your money, unless you just have money and time to piss away that is.
I have to agree with this.

Passing 4 is like saying "I have the writing skills of a Japanese 1st grader!"

For a personal achievement, you can learn that without taking the test, and for a resume it is meaningless.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-21-2010, 08:36 AM

I`ll step in and say it may not be meaningless.
There are many university Japanese courses that recognize the JLPT for class placement. I don`t know about where the OP is planning to go, but there is a chance that it may translate into university course credits or into being placed in a higher class at the start.

We have to remember that they are wanting to take the test prior to university, and not for employment.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.