LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

03-08-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacerier View Post
hey cool i will try to stick to the basics, however how am i supposed to know if a word is "basic" or "advanced" when i don't even know the word. like in english i can guess that a word is pretty advanced if its very very long but this does not seem to apply to japanese.
You won't encounter difficult words in the first chapters of your textbook. You will encounter difficult words in newspaper articles in the "politics" section.
You won't encounter difficult words when reading a book written for a first grader.
You will encounter difficult words when reading a Haruki Murakami novel.
etc.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
pacerier (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-08-2010, 10:14 PM

oic, most of the words i've got i scraped them off manga (namely naruto and one piece) or TV dramas. im trying to find japanese storybooks for natives like ages 10 and below but up till now there's not much hope

recently i've came across this sentence which i don't understand: ポさんは永遠の少年ですね. does it mean something like "Poh will always be a kid, won't he"?

also i was wondering does 税込みで70ドルする means $70 tax-included, or $70 including tax? so if tax is 10% would i have to pay $70 or $77?

========================================
(#13 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

03-09-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
recently i've came across this sentence which i don't understand: ポさんは永遠の少年ですね. does it mean something like "Poh will always be a kid, won't he"?
Yes. Or, more artfully, Po will never grow up or Po is a perpetual child or something.

Quote:
also i was wondering does 税込みで70ドルする means $70 tax-included, or $70 including tax?
Those two things mean the same exact thing.
Quote:
so if tax is 10% would i have to pay $70 or $77?
Tax included. $70.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
pacerier (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-09-2010, 08:52 AM

thanks for the clarification = ) in another situation, if someone were to say それは税込みですよ does this mean "that is before tax (that does not include tax)"?

if that's the case i was wondering why is that so, shouldn't the sentence mean something like "that is tax-included"

Last edited by pacerier : 03-09-2010 at 08:55 AM.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

03-09-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
thanks for the clarification = ) in another situation, if someone were to say それは税込みですよ does this mean "that is before tax (that does not include tax)"?

if that's the case i was wondering why is that so, shouldn't the sentence mean something like "that is tax-included"
Do you understand what 込み means? It means "included." It does not mean "not included."
(#16 (permalink))
Old
pacerier (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-10-2010, 12:39 PM

hm ok so would this それは税込みですよ mean "that includes tax"?

also does 図書室 refer to the reading room in a library, or the library itself, or can it be used to refer to either the library or the reading room

(#17 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

03-10-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
hm ok so would this それは税込みですよ mean "that includes tax"?
Yes. You seem rather persistent with this?

Quote:
also does 図書室 refer to the reading room in a library, or the library itself, or can it be used to refer to either the library or the reading room
図書室(としょしつ) = a small library as in an elementary school. Housed in a building.

図書館(としょかん) = a large library. It stands by itself.

Neither means "reading room".
(#18 (permalink))
Old
pacerier (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-10-2010, 06:04 PM

oh its not that but i came across this 税込みですよ (i searched for 税込み in WWWJDIC: Word Search and pressed the [Ex]ample button) the translation i had was "that's before tax", and "that's before tax" sounds to me as though tax was not included. but the examples are user submitted so maybe it was a misintepretation.

should i use 図書室 or 図書館 to describe a library in a shopping center, say a rather huge shopping center with 5 floors.

(#19 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

03-10-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
oh its not that but i came across this 税込みですよ (i searched for 税込み in WWWJDIC: Word Search and pressed the [Ex]ample button) the translation i had was "that's before tax", and "that's before tax" sounds to me as though tax was not included. but the examples are user submitted so maybe it was a misintepretation.

should i use 図書室 or 図書館 to describe a library in a shopping center, say a rather huge shopping center with 5 floors.
The sample sentence is wrong. I am too lazy to register with the Tatoeba project right now to correct the sample sentence there, so maybe next time I get on sci.lang.japan, I'll shoot Jim a message letting him know about the error.

And whether you use 図書館 or 図書室 is dependent on the size of the library, not the size of the place it's located. How big is the library?
(#20 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
03-10-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:

Is it actually a library, or a book store? I've never heard of a Library being in a mall before.