JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Nokutetsu (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Nokutetsu
でしょう? - 03-07-2010, 03:47 PM

Hey. I'm still a noob at Japanese, and I'm studying for my N5. But there's something I'm not clear on, and I can't find any clear answers across the internet.

I know でしょう has a few meanings. でしょうか is kind of like ね at the end of a sentence, but less direct, right? And it can also be used in place of です to be more polite.

But it's the 'probably' function I'm not clear on. Does でしょう always come at the end of the sentence when used this way? I found a few example sentences where is was placed at the end, but I think I've seen a few places where it wasn't at the end.

I assumed it came at the end unless it's followed by a verb, but the verb doesn't always come at the end, like in 彼は明日来るでしょう。 So I'm confused.

I'm hoping it isn't one of those grammar rules where there's a lot of exceptions.

Ahh, the internet. Where men are men, women are men, and 14 year old girls are FBI agents.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

03-07-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokutetsu View Post
Hey. I'm still a noob at Japanese, and I'm studying for my N5. But there's something I'm not clear on, and I can't find any clear answers across the internet.

I know でしょう has a few meanings. でしょうか is kind of like ね at the end of a sentence, but less direct, right? And it can also be used in place of です to be more polite.

But it's the 'probably' function I'm not clear on. Does でしょう always come at the end of the sentence when used this way? I found a few example sentences where is was placed at the end, but I think I've seen a few places where it wasn't at the end.

I assumed it came at the end unless it's followed by a verb, but the verb doesn't always come at the end, like in 彼は明日来るでしょう。 So I'm confused.

I'm hoping it isn't one of those grammar rules where there's a lot of exceptions.
1. でしょう is a verb.
2. でしょう may or may not be at the end and mean "maybe/probably." Just like how we have multiple ways in English, we have multiple ways in Japanese.
He might come.
Maybe he will come.
I think he will come.
Perhaps he will come.
etc.
3. As for でしょう not coming at the end, do you mean it appears in the middle, or it doesn't appear at all? Your question is ambiguous.
4. I'll hold back and let a native answer your first paragraph's question.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-08-2010, 02:32 AM

I believe when being used to mean "probably" or to show a persons conjecture でしょう(か) comes at the end of a sentence. I really cannot think of any mid sentence examples off the top of my head. でしょう(か) is also the polite form of だろう(か)

could you show us those few places it wasn't at the end you found?

The verb doesn't come at the end of 彼は明日来るでしょう? I am pretty sure it does..In fact the verb should come at the end of any Japanese sentence. verb + でしょう・だろう、.. is how I most commonly use the word.

I am kind of not sure exactly what you are not understanding, but I think you might be looking into a little too hard. I see this used like this most often. Ex: これはいいでしょう? adjective+でしょう。。。in this form でしょう、 is replacing the verb です、or だ as a more polite, or indirect way of imposing your opinion on the other person. in sentences like 彼は明日来るでしょう? I believe でしょう is now an adverb and is expressing your supposition about the guy coming tomorrow...and it is more polite than saying 彼は明日来るだろう?

Last edited by RickOShay : 03-08-2010 at 02:35 AM.