LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
hatsuto11 (Offline)
阿邪美能伊理比売

03-15-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokutetsu View Post
Thanks. I was looking at these sentences, and I thought so too, and it would make more sense if I used と. Although I was testing out my new knowledge of the や function. I'm glad I nailed it enough, but I understand it would really make more sense in context.
That's so good I like the way you are progressing. Please keep studying, and if you have any question, you can ask Mr. Kyle (he got his PhD. in Japanese a couple of days ago, so he'll be so delighted to help you out:P)
oh and if Kyle doesn't have the mood to leave a reply, i will do that on his behalf (of course after consulting him and taking his permission, so it will kinda be complicated:PP)

Good luck Nokutetsu さん、頑張ってな

大日本帝國に戻りたい!
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

03-16-2010, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Thank you very much. So now I'll use this instead. So since I've learned the Ya/ect function, are these sentences correct?

私は昨日日本のビールやお酒を飲みました。
私は牛肉やとり肉を食べます。
私はフランスやドイツに行きました。
Grammatically, those are all 100% correct.
______

Just want to point out that in real life, native speakers would drop all of the 私は's. However, since you seem to be studying for a test, you may as well leave them in.

If you know the difference bewteen と and や as noun connectors, it looks like you can move on to your next lesson.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Nokutetsu (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Nokutetsu
03-16-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
Grammatically, those are all 100% correct.
______

Just want to point out that in real life, native speakers would drop all of the 私は's. However, since you seem to be studying for a test, you may as well leave them in.

If you know the difference bewteen と and や as noun connectors, it looks like you can move on to your next lesson.
Thankyou for the insight. I thought about that too when I was typing it up, but I was trying to be formal, so I left it in. Unless even in formal covnersation you leave it out too....?

Anyway, today I've been looking up 'から' as a connecting particle. I'll try not to mess up with it since the 2 sentences you're connecting are in the opposite order from English. I left out the 私は's this time too, since they're rather obvious and don't need to be put in.

So would it be safe to say these sentences I've constructed make sense grammatically?

林檎を食べたいから店に行きます。
映画館に来ますから映画を見たい。
本を読みますから図書館に行きました。

Ahh, the internet. Where men are men, women are men, and 14 year old girls are FBI agents.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

03-16-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Thankyou for the insight. I thought about that too when I was typing it up, but I was trying to be formal, so I left it in. Unless even in formal covnersation you leave it out too....?
Yes, we do. Formality of the occasion has little to do with it. However, you don't have to worry about this phenomenon so much right now. As you read more, you will begin to have an idea of what this is all about.

Quote:
Anyway, today I've been looking up 'から' as a connecting particle. I'll try not to mess up with it since the 2 sentences you're connecting are in the opposite order from English. I left out the 私は's this time too, since they're rather obvious and don't need to be put in.
You are under an illusion, so to speak. People say we connect the two phrases in the opposite order from English. My answer is negative. They say that because they "translate" から into "because". Try translating it into "thus", "therefore", or even "so", and you will see the order of the two phrases can be identical between our two languages.

Quote:
So would it be safe to say these sentences I've constructed make sense grammatically?

林檎を食べたいから店に行きます。
映画館に来ますから映画を見たい。
本を読みますから図書館に行きました。
林檎を食べたいから店に行きます。 Good. Try my method here and you will have "I want to eat apples, so I'm going to the store." Doesn't that say the same thing as "Because I want to eat apples, I'm going to the store."?

映画館に来ますから映画を見たい。 No good. This says "Because I'm coming to the movie theater, I want to watch a movie." Wouldn't a big flip be in order?

本を読みますから図書館に行きました。 Better than the one just above but "strange" to my ear. It says "Because I read (present tense) books, I went to the library." Did you want to say "Because I wanted to read books, I went to the library."? If so, you can change 本を読みます to 本を読みたかった.

On a second thought, if "Because I read (present tense) books, I went to the library." sounds natural in English, then I couldn't really say your sentence was wrong. The "strangeness" by the Japanese standards will remain, though.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Nokutetsu (Offline)
JF Regular

03-18-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Yes, we do. Formality of the occasion has little to do with it. However, you don't have to worry about this phenomenon so much right now. As you read more, you will begin to have an idea of what this is all about.

You are under an illusion, so to speak. People say we connect the two phrases in the opposite order from English. My answer is negative. They say that because they "translate" から into "because". Try translating it into "thus", "therefore", or even "so", and you will see the order of the two phrases can be identical between our two languages.

林檎を食べたいから店に行きます。 Good. Try my method here and you will have "I want to eat apples, so I'm going to the store." Doesn't that say the same thing as "Because I want to eat apples, I'm going to the store."?

映画館に来ますから映画を見たい。 No good. This says "Because I'm coming to the movie theater, I want to watch a movie." Wouldn't a big flip be in order?

本を読みますから図書館に行きました。 Better than the one just above but "strange" to my ear. It says "Because I read (present tense) books, I went to the library." Did you want to say "Because I wanted to read books, I went to the library."? If so, you can change 本を読みます to 本を読みたかった.

On a second thought, if "Because I read (present tense) books, I went to the library." sounds natural in English, then I couldn't really say your sentence was wrong. The "strangeness" by the Japanese standards will remain, though.
Ah, you are right. Since Japanese is different in many ways, I'll need to keep these things in mind when translating in my head.

So, using your suggestion, this is better, perhaps?

本を読みたいから図書館に行きます。
食べ物を食べたくないから店に行きません。

--------------------------------------------------------------

I've also tried to put into practice た(form)ことがある。

これ新聞を読んだことがありますか。
日本のテレビを見たことがありますか。
東南に行ったことがある。

Couldn't find a lot of resources for this and から, so it's most likely these ones are the ones I'll have more mistakes with.

Ahh, the internet. Where men are men, women are men, and 14 year old girls are FBI agents.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

03-18-2010, 01:21 AM

Quote:
So, using your suggestion, this is better, perhaps?

本を読みたいから図書館に行きます。
食べ物を食べたくないから店に行きません。
本を読みたいから図書館に行きます。 This is perfect.

食べ物を食べたくないから店に行きません。 Two consecutive strikes! (as in bowling)

Quote:
I've also tried to put into practice た(form)ことがある。

これ新聞を読んだことがありますか。
日本のテレビを見たことがありますか。
東南に行ったことがある。
これ新聞を読んだことがありますか。 Close! これ新聞 > この新聞. Common mistake.
"this (noun)" is always この + (noun). この店、この図書館、この本, etc.

日本のテレビを見たことがありますか。Excellent!

東南に行ったことがある。Grammatically correct though a wee bit strange. It says "I have been in the direction of South East." You probably mean a certain area by South East? If the reader isn't familiar with "your" south east, he will feel what you said sounds strange.

Quote:
Couldn't find a lot of resources for this and から, so it's most likely these ones are the ones I'll have more mistakes with.
To say "I have done ~~~ (in the past).", simply form a a sentence in the past tense and add ことがある/ことがあります.

スキヤキを食べたことがある。 I've eaten sukiyaki before.
イギリスに行ったことがある。 I've been to England before.
この映画を見たことがある。 I've seen this movie before. (See how I deliberately used この here? Using what you just learned in a sentence is what good foreign language learners do.)

To use から:
Reason for action + から + Action.
日本へ行きたいから日本語を勉強する。 勉強(べんき ょう)する= to study.
イギリスはさむいからハワイへ行きたい。 寒い(さむ い) = cold.
サシミスターさんはおもしろいから大好きです。 おも しろい = funny

If I say something you don't understand, please feel free to ask.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Nokutetsu (Offline)
JF Regular

03-18-2010, 04:44 AM

Quote:
本を読みたいから図書館に行きます。 This is perfect.

食べ物を食べたくないから店に行きません。 Two consecutive strikes! (as in bowling)

これ新聞を読んだことがありますか。 Close! これ新聞 > この新聞. Common mistake.
"this (noun)" is always この + (noun). この店、この図書館、この本, etc.

日本のテレビを見たことがありますか。Excellent!

東南に行ったことがある。Grammatically correct though a wee bit strange. It says "I have been in the direction of South East." You probably mean a certain area by South East? If the reader isn't familiar with "your" south east, he will feel what you said sounds strange.

To say "I have done ~~~ (in the past).", simply form a a sentence in the past tense and add ことがある/ことがあります.

スキヤキを食べたことがある。 I've eaten sukiyaki before.
イギリスに行ったことがある。 I've been to England before.
この映画を見たことがある。 I've seen this movie before. (See how I deliberately used この here? Using what you just learned in a sentence is what good foreign language learners do.)

To use から:
Reason for action + から + Action.
日本へ行きたいから日本語を勉強する。 勉強(べんき ょう)する= to study.
イギリスはさむいからハワイへ行きたい。 寒い(さむ い) = cold.
サシミスターさんはおもしろいから大好きです。 おも しろい = funny

If I say something you don't understand, please feel free to ask.
Ah, dammit. I meant to write 東京 instead of 東南, which is pretty bad, haha. But I'll take extra care with これ and この in the future, if I recall I've mixed these two up before in the past.

Thankyou so much for the help! When I cover a new grammar point, I'll be sure to ask here again for advice.