JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   ~ いっすんぼうし ~ translation help please! ^.^ (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/31048-%7E-%E3%81%84%E3%81%A3%E3%81%99%E3%82%93%E3%81%BC%E3%81%86%E3%81%97-%7E-translation-help-please-%5E-%5E.html)

AmayaSakurai 03-23-2010 11:32 PM

~ いっすんぼうし ~ translation help please! ^.^

I've decided that practicing Japanese through tanslation would be a good way for me to get a good hang on the Japanese sentence structures. So, I picked this Japanese fairy tail as my starting point, because I figured it would be a piece of cake.

Guess what? I'm stuck on the first sentence! LOL! :bigears: *hopless*

Here's the sentece:

むかし むかし こどもが いない おじいさんと お ばあさんが かみさまに おねがいを すると こうび くらいの おとこのこが うまれました。

The part that I cannot figure out the meaning of is こゆびくらい. little finger + black = ??? :quesballoon:

If anyone is willing to give their own translation of this sentence so that I can compare it with mine, that would be cool too! XD

I'll be posting any other translation problems with this fairy tail that I might have (probably in the 2nd sentence) here as well, so that I don't spam the forum with my questions! :pinksong:

Thanks ~

berrypie 03-23-2010 11:40 PM

You have mixed up くらい(kurai) and くろい(kuroi) and that's why you cannot understand. ;)

くらい = about the size of, approximately

がんばってくださいね。

KyleGoetz 03-23-2010 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmayaSakurai (Post 805473)
I've decided that practicing Japanese through tanslation would be a good way for me to get a good hang on the Japanese sentence structures. So, I picked this Japanese fairy tail as my starting point, because I figured it would be a piece of cake.

Guess what? I'm stuck on the first sentence! LOL! :bigears: *hopless*

Here's the sentece:

むかし むかし こどもが いない おじいさんと お ばあさんが かみさまに おねがいを すると こうび くらいの おとこのこが うまれました。

The part that I cannot figure out the meaning of is こゆびくらい. little finger + black = ??? :quesballoon:

If anyone is willing to give their own translation of this sentence so that I can compare it with mine, that would be cool too! XD

I'll be posting any other translation problems with this fairy tail that I might have (probably in the 2nd sentence) here as well, so that I don't spam the forum with my questions! :pinksong:

Thanks ~

Just so you know, there are no spaces in Japanese.

AmayaSakurai 03-23-2010 11:43 PM

Oooooooooow!!! No wonder!

Thank you so much! Obviously makes perfect sense now! :pandahurray:

AmayaSakurai 03-23-2010 11:46 PM

Quote:

Just so you know, there are no spaces in Japanese.
I copy - pasted that sentence word for word from the book, and it had spaces. I know that they are not used in general, but I guess it makes it easier to read because it's all in hiragana. When too many hiragana are next to each other it makes it a little confusing, ne?

KyleGoetz 03-24-2010 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmayaSakurai (Post 805480)
I copy - pasted that sentence word for word from the book, and it had spaces. I know that they are not used in general, but I guess it makes it easier to read because it's all in hiragana. When too many hiragana are next to each other it makes it a little confusing, ne?

OK. Some children's books use spaces I think. I just wanted to make sure you knew (since you're close enough to beginner-level (since you're reading children's books), I thought you might not know). We've had people post here before who did not know.

AmayaSakurai 03-24-2010 07:43 AM

Oh ok! ^.^

Thank you very much for the advice! :yhgirl: