(#1 (permalink))
Old
Herzeleid (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Herzeleid
I want to study Japanese in Japan. - 04-02-2010, 04:26 AM

Hi Dear People from JF.

My name is Oscar and I'm from Mexico.
I want to study Japanese for a year in Japan, and I have done some research... I've found some universities that charge you about 10,000 dlls per 4 months of homestay. I think it's quite expensive but I know that the life in Japan is not cheap. I'm not planning on going over there to study and live for cheap. But I know that there should be some more reasonable options.

What am I looking for?
1.-Homestay.
2.-Option to get a study (or student) visa.
3.-Intensive courses... if it's possible, longer than 4 months.
4.-If it's possible cheaper than 10,000 dlls.
5.-Place??? Anywhere in Japan (Any prefecture, city, etc)
6.-When? Anytime since January 2011.

About me:
1.-I know the basics of Japanese (I'm certified as 4kyu by the Japanese association of America).
2.-I'm undergraduate student.
3.-23 years old.
4.-Male
5.-Responsible and good boy.

I know that a lot of people in this forum does actually live in Japan, and some of you have gone to japan to study. Please, please help me.

Regards,
Oscar.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

04-02-2010, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herzeleid View Post
Hi Dear People from JF.

My name is Oscar and I'm from Mexico.
I want to study Japanese for a year in Japan, and I have done some research... I've found some universities that charge you about 10,000 dlls per 4 months of homestay. I think it's quite expensive but I know that the life in Japan is not cheap. I'm not planning on going over there to study and live for cheap. But I know that there should be some more reasonable options.

What am I looking for?
1.-Homestay.
2.-Option to get a study (or student) visa.
3.-Intensive courses... if it's possible, longer than 4 months.
4.-If it's possible cheaper than 10,000 dlls.
5.-Place??? Anywhere in Japan (Any prefecture, city, etc)
6.-When? Anytime since January 2011.

About me:
1.-I know the basics of Japanese (I'm certified as 4kyu by the Japanese association of America).
2.-I'm undergraduate student.
3.-23 years old.
4.-Male
5.-Responsible and good boy.

I know that a lot of people in this forum does actually live in Japan, and some of you have gone to japan to study. Please, please help me.

Regards,
Oscar.
Do an exchange program through your university if it's possible. It it's a true exchange, you'll just pay your university's tuition instead. This is what I did, and a full year at a Japanese university cost me about 15K in tuition plus about $500/mo for rent.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Herzeleid (Offline)
New to JF

04-02-2010, 03:42 PM

Yeah, I´ve tried that before too, but my university doesn´t have exchange programs with Japan, not for my major. (International Business)
(#4 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

04-02-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herzeleid View Post
Yeah, I´ve tried that before too, but my university doesn´t have exchange programs with Japan, not for my major. (International Business)
Then you're going to be paying a lot of money, unfortunately. Japanese tuition is very expensive. I think the university I attended in Japan was >USD30,000 per year. This makes the USD10,000 for your summer expected.

Your best bet would be set it up and apply for the Monbukagakusho scholarship and pray to whatever gods you believe in that you get it. Also look to see if there are foundations in Mexico that have scholarships set up.

I got several from a few orgs in the US that basically paid for my entire year there.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Herzeleid (Offline)
New to JF

04-02-2010, 09:05 PM

I tried to apply for the Monbukagakusho scholarship, but the lady on the other side of the phone said that I had to be at least 2kyu to be elective. So... I was stuck.

The mexican government doesn´t really help students, that´s why this country is a little way behind in technology, education and some other stuff. But that´s not the point here.

I´ll continue doing some research, but if you know about something that could help me, please tell me.

Oh, if I don´t find anything else... I´ll apply to the Tokyo International University, under the Japan Studies Program which is basically all what I need... but as I said before... I´d prefer a cheaper offer. Has anybody in here attended to that University??